Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 12th June 2018

Liked 2,384 Times in 1,303 Posts
Toad: Fill Flash vs Digital Fill

This toad was in shadow but further shadows were darkening its head end. I took some shots in daylight, of which one is shown without shadow adjustment in processing and a version with (maximum setting) digital shadow relief. The last had a second pass through the maximum shadow relief software.

Then I took a shot with my single flash gun, which is always set for "fill", still in aperture priority. That is the first image.

Olympus EM-1, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, 1/60 at f11, hand-held.

Harold

Old 12th June 2018

Liked 1,118 Times in 446 Posts
Re: Toad: Fill Flash vs Digital Fill

Interesting that the end result isn't a million miles away from the flash... The flash photo is obviously better as you can see the right foot properly and the background is a little nicer.

Whenever I do adjustments I find darkening highlights works really well but lightening shadows creates noise. Is this what you found?

I have been thinking of deliberately over exposing photos to get the shadows exposed correctly and darkening down the highlights in software, what do you think?

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 12th June 2018

Liked 2,384 Times in 1,303 Posts
Re: Toad: Fill Flash vs Digital Fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Interesting that the end result isn't a million miles away from the flash... The flash photo is obviously better as you can see the right foot properly and the background is a little nicer.

Whenever I do adjustments I find darkening highlights works really well but lightening shadows creates noise. Is this what you found?

I have been thinking of deliberately over exposing photos to get the shadows exposed correctly and darkening down the highlights in software, what do you think?
Not to notice. I remove noise before doing any processing.

The over-exposing is the "expose to the right" principle, popular with digital photographers. I have never bothered with that (nor histograms).

Harold