Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Pansonic Leica 15mm F1.7

I was thinking of a general prime that I could use for "compact shooting", especially when I am on holiday and just want snaps for memories etc. I currently use my iPhone which has a really good camera but sometimes, it just isn't very flexible, and was toying with using my camera with a prime lens.

Has anyone had any experience of this lens as opposed to the M.Zuiko's?

I already have a 25mm F1.8 and the 45mm F1.8 but they are a bit long for what I need, but not sure if I want to go all the way to a 12mm?

Any advice, tips, experience gratefully received.

Thanks All

Simon
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 98 Times in 81 Posts
Re: Pansonic Leica 15mm F1.7

What about the Olympus 17mm 1.8 or the 12- 40mm 2.8 pro to cover all occasions. Im tempted to go for the latter myself.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Conor

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've already got the 12-40 pro lens which I love but its not a small lens and makes the package too cumbersome for this particular requirement.

I've also got a Panasonic GM1 and this might be an alternative camera to use, rather than my OMD. Although I am already finding its very small which is great, but then quite hard to control it. I've also got a Sony RX100 (the original one) which is great but I hate the protruding lens, and having to power it on, and the way the lens retract to save battery (also the lens ring is super stiff)

I'm intrigued by the aperture ring on the lens which is one of the things I miss from my OM2n days (I appreciate this only works with the Panasonic cameras).
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 280 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmy999 View Post
I was thinking of a general prime that I could use for "compact shooting", especially when I am on holiday and just want snaps for memories etc. I currently use my iPhone which has a really good camera but sometimes, it just isn't very flexible, and was toying with using my camera with a prime lens.

Has anyone had any experience of this lens as opposed to the M.Zuiko's?

I already have a 25mm F1.8 and the 45mm F1.8 but they are a bit long for what I need, but not sure if I want to go all the way to a 12mm?

Any advice, tips, experience gratefully received.

Thanks All

Simon
The Pana/Leica 15mm is a superb lens and will have a FOV similar to that of your iPhone. The lens on the phone is I believe equivalent to 28mm on a 35mm camera and the 15mm Pana/Leica equivalent to 30mm. I owned one once but sold it as I wanted to go wider, I already had the Olympus 25mm & 45mm so 'for me' the 12mm was a logical choice. Though I have to say image quality wise I couldn't fault it.

As you already have the 25mm and 45mm I would approach it as follows .....
..... "how much do you use or like the 25mm?" It happens to be one of my favourites hence I went for the 12mm to compliment it, but that's me .... what about you?

If you use/like it a lot and its FOV ( similar to the classic 50mm prime on 35mm film ) then personally I would skip the 15mm and go for the 12mm, you'll have the classic setup of approximately doubling the focal length with each lens .... 12/25/45 ... a range which should cover most 'day to day' needs for most photographers.

But here's where I 'Throw a spanner in the works' ....... if you find yourself not using the 25mm much then what about the 'classic rangefinder 2 lens kit' of 35/90? You already have the 45mm ( 90 ), sell the 25mm and use the money to but a 17mm f1.8 , you'll have one less lens to carry yet remain very versatile. Many an old photographer used just those two focal lengths ;-)

Then again I know several whose longest focal length is a 50mm ( 25 ) which they use as their portrait lens ( it makes a very good one believe it or not ) and pair it with a 28mm ( 14 ), it's another classic 2 lens kit in rangefinder land, works just as well in SLR & M4/3 land too. In this case the Pana/Leica would pair nicely with the 25mm Oly you have.

Yep, confusing I know. So ask yourself this.... which of your current 2 lenses gets the most use and do you need the other? 'Less' is often 'more'. If its the 25mm personally I'd get the 15mm Pana/Leica or 12mm Oly. If it's the 45mm I'd get the 17mm Oly. If you like/use both and cannot be parted with either 'I' would do what I have already done ... add the 12mm.

However if your plan is to only 'run one lens' while on hols personally speaking I would be considering the Oly 17mm f1.8 .... a far more versatile option in a single lens outfit.

Hope I haven't confused the hell out of you. Anyway both the 12mm Oly and the 15mm Pana/Leica are great optics, whichever you were/are to choose I am sure you will be delighted.

Simon
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts

I sold my Lumix 20mm and Olympus 12mm lenses and replaced them with the Leica 15mm. It comes with a lens hood (and a second lens cap which fits on the front of the lens hood) and is rated at least as good as the 17mm Olympus.

It is an excellent lens for general use, and is fast enough to work well inside NT properties without using a flash.

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
The Pana/Leica 15mm is a superb lens and will have a FOV similar to that of your iPhone. The lens on the phone is I believe equivalent to 28mm on a 35mm camera and the 15mm Pana/Leica equivalent to 30mm. I owned one once but sold it as I wanted to go wider, I already had the Olympus 25mm & 45mm so 'for me' the 12mm was a logical choice. Though I have to say image quality wise I couldn't fault it.

As you already have the 25mm and 45mm I would approach it as follows .....
..... "how much do you use or like the 25mm?" It happens to be one of my favourites hence I went for the 12mm to compliment it, but that's me .... what about you?

If you use/like it a lot and its FOV ( similar to the classic 50mm prime on 35mm film ) then personally I would skip the 15mm and go for the 12mm, you'll have the classic setup of approximately doubling the focal length with each lens .... 12/25/45 ... a range which should cover most 'day to day' needs for most photographers.

But here's where I 'Throw a spanner in the works' ....... if you find yourself not using the 25mm much then what about the 'classic rangefinder 2 lens kit' of 35/90? You already have the 45mm ( 90 ), sell the 25mm and use the money to but a 17mm f1.8 , you'll have one less lens to carry yet remain very versatile. Many an old photographer used just those two focal lengths ;-)

Then again I know several whose longest focal length is a 50mm ( 25 ) which they use as their portrait lens ( it makes a very good one believe it or not ) and pair it with a 28mm ( 14 ), it's another classic 2 lens kit in rangefinder land, works just as well in SLR & M4/3 land too. In this case the Pana/Leica would pair nicely with the 25mm Oly you have.

Yep, confusing I know. So ask yourself this.... which of your current 2 lenses gets the most use and do you need the other? 'Less' is often 'more'. If its the 25mm personally I'd get the 15mm Pana/Leica or 12mm Oly. If it's the 45mm I'd get the 17mm Oly. If you like/use both and cannot be parted with either 'I' would do what I have already done ... add the 12mm.

However if your plan is to only 'run one lens' while on hols personally speaking I would be considering the Oly 17mm f1.8 .... a far more versatile option in a single lens outfit.

Hope I haven't confused the hell out of you. Anyway both the 12mm Oly and the 15mm Pana/Leica are great optics, whichever you were/are to choose I am sure you will be delighted.

Simon
Simon

I think you are spot on. That is exactly what I would do normally. I have toyed about purchasing a 12mm but I'm just too lazy and pick up my 12-40mm instead of using/carrying primes. However, for holiday snaps, this is too bulky, hence a look to a single (small) solution.

And also, to be honest, I really fancy trying the aperture ring layout with my Panasonic GM1. I keep thinking about resurrecting my OM2n but the thought of using film etc, just makes it too old school and hard core!
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 940 Times in 527 Posts

I agree with what’s been said about the 15: it was developed to be very compact and to fit the GM1 and 5 without extending below their base plate (and so interfering with the camera sitting level on a flat surface).

I’ve previously owned the Oly 17 and I’d say the PL is just a tad sharper, but only when pixel peeping, and otherwise it’s a matter of whether you want to use it on Panny bodies (where as you know the aperture ring works), and whether you like the slightly wider perspective.

It was my main Street lens for the past year or so and I’m still very happy with it. I do like the wider perspective for many uses, although I find the greater distortion for close-in shooting can be a bit of a pain to correct, and it does have a bit of vignetting at full aperture (although it’s very sharp even there).

Recently I’ve acquired the 1.2 Oly 17 and I am really enjoying the narrower depth of field opportunities that gives in the street, and the relative lack of distortion and minimal vignetting saves time in post. However it’s a big lump of glass and I’m keeping the 15 for travel and as a throw-in-the-pocket prime.

The 15 is one of the m4/3 lenses that’s very good for IR photography, BTW, which I’m told isn’t true for the 12-40, and I don’t yet know for the 17 f1.2 (but that’s likely not to be great for hot-spots).

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 17, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 68 Times in 44 Posts

There's a comparative review of the Pan 15/1.7 vs Oly 17/1.8 at https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/mic...-olympus-17mm/
Although the focal lengths seem similar, I think you'll find a different 'feel' in the images, with 15mm being decidedly 'wide angle' while 17mm is more 'general purpose'
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOxon For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.

Some good suggestions and real food for thought!

Thanks
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,343 Times in 817 Posts

Food for thought indeed, but I would start by asking yourself whether you're a 15mm (30mm in terms of 135 f/l) person; do you 'see' potential images in the rather wide FoV. A slightly longer FL will help for a tighter composition and potentially less clutter.

on flickr
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 4,234 Times in 1,396 Posts

I tested out the DJI 15mm for a week before returning it since it didn't AF properly using CAF on the E-M1ii (I bought it used from MPB). It's the same lens as the Panasonic 15mm apart from slightly different coatings and some minor hood differences (and, it appears, out-of-date firmware!!). In fact, some say that it's better than the Panasonic version in terms of flare resistance.

Anyhow, I found that optically it was excellent. A tad better than the Oly 17/1.8. It was also beautifully made and very compact. Had the AF worked OK, I would probably have kept it in preference to the Oly 17/1.8, although it has to be said that despite the relatively small field of view difference, there is definitely a different "feel" to the images from the two lenses.

In this sense, I agree entirely with Steve (Ricoh) - the differences between the two lenses are fairly small and the FoV should probably be the deciding factor.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 940 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I tested out the DJI 15mm for a week before returning it since it didn't AF properly using CAF on the E-M1ii (I bought it used from MPB).
My standard version focuses fast and well on the M1ii in all modes, Paul.

Did you get to the bottom of whether your problems were down to some general issue with the drone version (which I havenít seen reported elsewhere) or a bad copy?

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 17, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 4,234 Times in 1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
My standard version focuses fast and well on the M1ii in all modes, Paul.

Did you get to the bottom of whether your problems were down to some general issue with the drone version (which I havenít seen reported elsewhere) or a bad copy?
I assume it was a firmware issue Mark. DJI are not part of the joint updates program that Olympus and Panasonic share so I couldn't see an obvious way to update its firmware. I had exactly the same AF problem with my Sigma 30/1.4 and a firmware update fixed that.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,343 Times in 817 Posts

The USP of the 15mm can only be realised on the LUMIX, IMHO.
I recollect discussions on the topic, eg why Olympus decided not to implement the function. The conversation suggested a priority of art in favour of Panasonic, IIRC.

on flickr