Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 4th March 2018

Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
4K or NOT 4K

So here goes, this is an optical question apologies if it seems daft, the question has arose in a conversation with my grandson. I realise 4K is is more allied to movie. I am currently in the process of upgrading my post processing equipment. I have purchased a BenQ sw320 4K monitor, I am temporarily using my old iMac 27inch non 4K via its mini display port. The cable is mini to dvi. I havenít rushed to get a new Mac mini or MacBook Pro to take over from the old iMac.

As the em1 mk2 produces images of 5184x3880 which is more than 4K and in excess of 5k am I actually seeing 4K resolution on the BenQ screen bearing in mind its run by the old iMac?
Kind regards mike
Old 4th March 2018

Liked 789 Times in 375 Posts
Re: 4K or NOT 4K

Think the output resolution of the mini display port to DVI adapter is 1920 x 1200

see this link from Apple support
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204149

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (6th March 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Mdb2 (6th March 2018)
Old 4th March 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,211 Times in 720 Posts

Unfortunately "4k" is not standardised.

When my son got a 4k TV I made up several images of different sizes (In photoshop), that were dark grey with a 1 pixel wide, white boarder.

His is a UHD-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 5th March 2018

Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,206 Posts
Liked 941 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
...I am temporarily using my old iMac 27inch non 4K via its mini display port. The cable is mini to dvi ....
If its one of the older iMacs with the thunderbolt 2 connector you should be able to plug the mini display port to display port cable that came with the BENQ monitor into the thunderbolt socket (mini display port and thunderbolt 2 are physically identical and thunderbolt supports DP) and the display port end of the cable into your BENQ monitor. This should support the fullest resolution of your iMac/BENQ. Can you check on your iMAc what resolution it is putting out as it should be able to query the monitor to see what resolution it supports? I don't understand what are you doing with the mini DP to DVI cable - the DVI connector is a completely different beast to DP?
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (6th March 2018)
Mdb2 (6th March 2018)
Old 5th March 2018

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdb2 View Post
So here goes, this is an optical question apologies if it seems daft, the question has arose in a conversation with my grandson. I realise 4K is is more allied to movie. I am currently in the process of upgrading my post processing equipment. I have purchased a BenQ sw320 4K monitor, I am temporarily using my old iMac 27inch non 4K via its mini display port. The cable is mini to dvi. I haven’t rushed to get a new Mac mini or MacBook Pro to take over from the old iMac.

As the em1 mk2 produces images of 5184x3880 which is more than 4K and in excess of 5k am I actually seeing 4K resolution on the BenQ screen bearing in mind its run by the old iMac?
Kind regards mike
Not if you are using a DVI connector at the monitor end. A single-link DVI connector can display a maximum resolution of 1920◊1200 and a dual-link DVI connector is 2560◊1600.

Even with a dual link cable older graphics cards may only have a single link DVI transmitter.

I do not know the Mac operating system but there should be a command somewhere to show the resolution it is using.
The Following User Says Thank You to Invicta For This Useful Post:
Mdb2 (6th March 2018)
Mdb2 (6th March 2018)
Old 6th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
If its one of the older iMacs with the thunderbolt 2 connector you should be able to plug the mini display port to display port cable that came with the BENQ monitor into the thunderbolt socket (mini display port and thunderbolt 2 are physically identical and thunderbolt supports DP) and the display port end of the cable into your BENQ monitor. This should support the fullest resolution of your iMac/BENQ. Can you check on your iMAc what resolution it is putting out as it should be able to query the monitor to see what resolution it supports? I don't understand what are you doing with the mini DP to DVI cable - the DVI connector is a completely different beast to DP?
Thanks for your input, I had a choice of cables but only one mini to dvi choice, my mac doesn’t support thunderbolt however the external dp port supports up a 2560x1800 resolution
Kind regards mike.
OM USer (6th March 2018)
Old 6th March 2018

Thanks for your inputs, as I mentioned earlier I am upgrading my old iMac. And am trying to separate the monitor from the computer as to speak.

The current problem is Whether to get the upgraded Mac mini i7 etc etc, which hasnít been upgraded since 2014 and should be upgraded soon hopefully. Or whether to get the top range MacBook Pro. Which has it all. The downside to the Mac book is you need several dongles as the ports x4 are all usb/c thunderbolt enabled. Incidentally the Mac dongles are £69 each which is hurtful. I guess I will have make up my mind soon.

I cannot make my mind up so purchased the monitor first. I realise thatís a bit cart before the horse scenario.
Kind regards mike
Old 6th March 2018

Liked 349 Times in 252 Posts

You can get USB/C Thunderbolt multi way adapters so one plug into the computer but with many devices attached.
Search on Amazon for
USB- C adapters hub
and you will see several - the prices have dropped quite a bit since August last year
Old 6th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
You can get USB/C Thunderbolt multi way adapters so one plug into the computer but with many devices attached.
Search on Amazon for
USB- C adapters hub
and you will see several - the prices have dropped quite a bit since August last year
Thanks DerekW and yes I have seen different devices generally 3rd party block type with plug ins and many more outlets. At around £90
Kind regards mike
Old 6th March 2018

Liked 349 Times in 252 Posts

These devices do get a bit warm when they are being used. The most useful device is a Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-II USB 3.0 Reader for reading in the image files into the computer. Many times faster than the normal card reader and also faster than the reader on the Hub I mentioned previously.