Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 27th February 2018

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Printers

So my laser printer has died, used for general office printing, am now looking at getting a printer for mixed use general office printing and also printing my photos out.

What would people recommend?

Have seen at the local computer shop Canon IP8750 and then the next one up is the Pro 100S but is the difference in price worth it?

Matt
Old 27th February 2018

Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Re: Printers

I gave up on home photo printing years ago due to the cost and time involved.
Inkjet printers are very slow for documents when compared to laser/led printers.
I now have a Brother 3040CN which is a colour laser (led) printer that's fast and cheap for documents and my daughter's home work.
I send my photo printing out to Photobox or Tesco depending on how urgently I need it. I can upload, click and collect a set of 20 odd prints faster than it took me to print them at home. When I did cost per print on inkjet at home it wasn't much cheaper either.

I'll let others who photo print for fun to extol the virtues. I'm sure if you are keen for the ultimate control or print a lot it's well worth it - but that's not me
The Following User Liked This Post:
iso (2nd March 2018)
Old 27th February 2018

Liked 579 Times in 398 Posts

AMc sums it up pretty well.

There is a dilemma:

- if you print photos on a printer designed for documents, they will be poor quality

- if you print documents in a printer designed to deliver photo quality, they will be agonisingly slow, and expensive

For printing documents, I lashed out last year on a Brother colour laser. It is amazing: prints B&W text documents fast and cheap, solidly built so should be reliable, and handles colour graphics very well (I have OS maps on my system and can print bits as required and the quality is brilliant for that). It will do photos OK for flyers and such like, but it is definitely not "photo quality", and it will not print on anything very much heavier than ordinary laser paper.

I have been using Epson inkjets for printing photos for some time and about 18 months ago got an Epson SC-P600 A3+ printer. Quality is great, I have printed exhibition prints on it, but realistically I have to own up that printing your own really only makes sense if you enjoy doing it. For me, it is worth the time and the expense because I can fine-tune images, try different papers and so on. And for one-off prints it might be cheaper than getting it done commercially, depending on how creatively you write off the purchase price of the printer. But just like AMc, if I've got a batch of 20 prints to do for general use I will get them done commercially.

That doesn't clear the waters much, but I hope it's helpful. Good luck with however you decide to proceed.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
Johnheatingman (27th February 2018)
iso (2nd March 2018)
Old 28th February 2018

Liked 745 Times in 278 Posts

I use these for my photo prints.
http://dscolourlabs.co.uk
Very good quality and cheaper than I can print on my photo printer. I only keep my printer for when I want something quick.
Like others, I use a colour laser for docs.
Old 2nd March 2018

Liked 235 Times in 203 Posts

Have to agree with those who say - 'Is this journey really worth it?' I have an old'sh Epsom 7 Cartridge thing. Produces good prints. But the aggro in doing them is not worth the time.
Of course if one went a step further to control the process with techo that matched screen colour to printer colour, ............ Guess they that did in the darkroom. So maybe don't guffaw at it. But those who sent rolls of Film to Kodak etc ?? Probably same as us using a Pro Printing Service.
Old 3rd March 2018

Liked 392 Times in 252 Posts

I use an Epson 3800 A2 printer. Well, I say "use" but it sits unused most of the time. It is a world away from the smaller A4 and A3+ printers, much more reliable and cheaper to run because of the larger cartridges. I also have an R800 A4 printer but that's forever running out of one ink or another and each time you change a cartridge it dumps about 10% of every one of them into the waste tank while it charges the new one. The 3800 allows you to change a cartridge in the middle of a print and you cannot see the join when it finishes the job. Amazing. I like the flexibility of being able to make my own prints on my choice of paper.

I also have a Brother mono laser which was great, but now won't feed paper reliably. Now I have retired from running my own business I don't need to use it very often so having to feed the paper manually is not too much of a hardship.
Old 3rd March 2018

Thanked 1,157 Times in 916 Posts
Liked 1,444 Times in 865 Posts

I had a Samsung laser printer but it was needing a belt & more toner, so I had a look around & through some businesses the only choice was Brother or HP. I went HP in the end (from a discount online seller in Sydney) with HP LaserJet Pro M477fdw Color Laser Multifunction which has both duplex scanner (ADF) & printing. The photos look alright too. I still have a Canon inkjet as well for photo paper.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3rd March 2018

Liked 778 Times in 480 Posts

It has been claimed that printer manufacturers could afford to give their printers away for free as 99% of the profits are made from selling the ink cartridges. As has already been stated, photo printing is never going to be economical compared to commercial printing so only really an option if you're doing it because you enjoy it.

Being involved in voluntary organisations, my wife now does more printing than I do, designing flyers and advertising brochures etc. When we need a new printer, the first consideration is whether alternative 3rd party cartridges are freely available. Currently using an Epsom, these 3rd party cartridges literally save a fortune in print cost and the quality is just as good as the original inks. 7Dayshop have a range of compatible inks that are ridiculously cheap, often on special offers and excellent quality. Having said that, for anything over a relatively small number or flyers or brochures, it is still more economical and far less time consuming to simply send her design to an online print service.

Choosing a new printer is a minefield of considerations and variables and one I hate doing. Our Epsom really only gets used for occasionally printing letters, a few photos per year and the hundreds of rough drafts needed before a final proof for a project is determined and sent to the professionals to be printed.

John
Old 3rd March 2018

I use third party inks in my R800 because it drinks ink. I don't think they are as good as genuine Epson ones but they are a third of the price! I only ever use genuine carts in the 3800; there are nine of them and they cost over 40 each but they need replacing so rarely I don't mind paying for the genuine ones. The last one I replaced had a best before date of 2006!

My Brother laser cost 59.99 new; a toner cartridge plus a replacement drum cost over 80. Crazy.
Old 3rd March 2018

Liked 778 Times in 480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I use third party inks in my R800 because it drinks ink. I don't think they are as good as genuine Epson ones but they are a third of the price! I only ever use genuine carts in the 3800; there are nine of them and they cost over 40 each but they need replacing so rarely I don't mind paying for the genuine ones. The last one I replaced had a best before date of 2006!

My Brother laser cost 59.99 new; a toner cartridge plus a replacement drum cost over 80. Crazy.
The Epsom 3800 inks are now 49.25 ( Epsom Price ) each !

At 443.25 for a full set I'd want them to last a lifetime

John
Old 3rd March 2018

Ah yes, but they hold 80ml of ink versus the R800 and similar 13ml. That's over six times as much ink for less than three times the price! The 3800 doesn't feel the need to waste ink cleaning itself every time I switch it on, and unlike the smaller printers the waste ink tank is user-replaceable. I'm on my third .
Johnheatingman (3rd March 2018)
Old 3rd March 2018

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Hirst View Post
So my laser printer has died, used for general office printing, am now looking at getting a printer for mixed use general office printing and also printing my photos out.

What would people recommend?

Have seen at the local computer shop Canon IP8750 and then the next one up is the Pro 100S but is the difference in price worth it?

Matt
I have an iP8750 and very happy with it. I do profile my screen and use PermaJet paper (having made use of their profiling service). The output is superb. I did consider the Pro10 and Pro100 models but decided that the iP8750 was sufficient for my needs.

Over the years I've had Canon and Epson printers but prefer Canon because every Epson I've had has eventually suffered with a blocked print head. A Canon iP4500 I have sat in my garage unused for about 4 years and printed without problems first time when I resurrected it.
Old 3rd March 2018

I've had Epson printers that have had terminal head blocks too. Unlike the others the Epson print head is part of the printer, whereas with most others it's part of the cartridge so you get a new head each time you change one.
Old 3rd March 2018

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
... with most others it's part of the cartridge so you get a new head each time you change one.
That's definitely not the case with the Canons I've had. The print head is a separate unit.
Old 4th March 2018

The HP and Lexmark printers my sister has had both had heads as part of the cartridges. In the case of Canon is the head a user-replaceable part? Maybe that's what I was thinking of.