Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 2nd February 2018

Liked 746 Times in 279 Posts
Re: External SSD's

I use a basic NAS setup, with two 3TB high-reliability disks in a D-link 2-bay enclosure. I do not use a RAID arrangement (mirrored disks), for the simple reason that they mirror deletions as well as additions. Instead, I use one of the disks as my routine back-up from various PCs on my network and use the D-Link software to back up automatically from this disk to the second disk, each morning. This means that if I accidentally delete something from the first disk, it is retained on the second.[/quote]

Can you name the high - reliability discs Mike?
Old 2nd February 2018

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Be aware that the actual enclosure itself can fail so check out warranties and above all else heed the comments made numerous times - keep multiple backups, ideally in an off-site location if possible. If they use a non-standard format then you might struggle to rescue data unless you can get the disks back in a working enclosure.
For Apple users, Time Machine/Time Capsule are effective, providing you heed the multiple backup rule.
Old 2nd February 2018

Liked 349 Times in 252 Posts

I use Superduper to copy from the internal drives to a 4 TB external drive every day, once a week or so I do another SD copy to an additional 4 TB drive that is then stored in the shed at the bottom of the garden 100 feet or so from the house. I also use Time machne to recover from finger problems.

I now have 4 SSDs in use for drives that need speedy access.
Old 2nd February 2018

Liked 835 Times in 548 Posts

IIRC the two disks I use in my NAS are WD 'Red', which are high reliability. They've been running 24/7 for several years now with no SMART reported (by email) errors.

You should also note that reads are faster on mirrored disks because whilst one disk is reading one block, the head on the other disk is seeking the next.

Jim
Old 2nd February 2018

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

The failure will probably occur when those WD Reds stop running 24/7 and try to restart! Remember, Raid does not replace backups, ever!