Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 31st January 2018

Liked 745 Times in 278 Posts
External SSD's

I have lost images due to HD's failing, so thought that an external SSD might be the answer as they are supposed to be more reliable.

Anyone recommend one up to 1TB?
Old 31st January 2018

Liked 373 Times in 173 Posts
Re: External SSD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I have lost images due to HD's failing, so thought that an external SSD might be the answer as they are supposed to be more reliable.

Anyone recommend one up to 1TB?
I have been using a SanDisk Extreme SSD for some time now and it works well for storing photos. Connects via USB3 which provides more than adequate performance for this task. It is very compact - so easy to store somewhere safe when necessary.
My SSD is 480GB - but there is a 1TB version.

See here for more info:
https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/ssd/extreme-500-ssd
sapper (31st January 2018)
Old 31st January 2018

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Possibly (probably, but I’ve not checked) cheaper to look at an external USB3 or Thunderbolt caddy and buy a readily available SATA SSD ( I use Crucial) Pop it in there and away you go. Full range of devices, makes and capacities that way.
Old 1st February 2018

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

HDDs are fine if you don't rely on one copy, which you shouldn't regardless of the media. A good HDD backup routine will be more effective and cheaper. SSDs have a relatively short life if used intensively. My OS one failed recently after nearly 5 years. They normally only do 3 years or so I'm told.

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Clarke For This Useful Post:
sapper (1st February 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
BobS (1st February 2018)
Old 1st February 2018

Liked 835 Times in 548 Posts

What about a Network Addressed Storage solution, with a pair of HDs in a RAID mirror configuration? It's what I mainly use.

Jim
Old 1st February 2018

Liked 745 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
What about a Network Addressed Storage solution, with a pair of HDs in a RAID mirror configuration? It's what I mainly use.

Jim
Thanks Jim, but this is double dutch to me.
I am off to the Photography Show at the NEC in March so I will enquire there.
Old 1st February 2018

Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts

A NAS is a device you attach to your network that allows you to read and write files across the network from any number of computers on the network. Plug it into your router, it looks like another computer.
Handy if you want to view or edit files on multiple machines.

2 hard drives in RAID in mirror configuration - automatically makes copies of all the files on two hard drives at the same time. If one drive fails the other copy is safe, you can if you're clever replace the dead drive and you're back in business without having to copy everything manually.
My experience with SCSI RAID from many, many years ago was that it worked so well it was easy to lose a drive and not notice then the other one, similar age and the same manufacturer gave up .
We then spent a lot of time trying to restore to new drives from incremental tape backups ... which failed. The process left me scarred and I've never trusted it again - I appreciate this is a stupid outdated prejudice

Personally I have a 1TB and a 2TB Samsung external hard drives and a second machine in another room. I have everything in 3 places at once and an external drive goes to another house when we go away. That's enough redundancy for me.
If you keep all your eggs in one basket you're setting yourself up for a problem.

If you have a reasonable broadband connection then cloud back up might be more cost effective - rent vs. buy of course?

I have SSD in my machines for the OS and touch wood they've been very reliable and much, much faster for booting and loading programs. The price/performance doesn't stack up for large storage to me though so that's all spinning disks for now.

The only reliability issues I'm aware of for SSD are in continuous read/write devices like TV recorders, CCTV where the memory is supposed to degrade due to use.
BobS (1st February 2018)
Old 1st February 2018

Liked 392 Times in 252 Posts

Given how much Windows 10 thrashes the system HDs in my PCs I'd imagine an SSD's life mightn't be too long.

I have 1TB of cloud backup free with my BT Internet package but I have still to get my pics onto it! They are on two separate machines though, as well as on an external USB HD backup.

I would have expected a RAID system to know when one of the drives failed and to tell you about it? I have no experience of them myself.
AMc (1st February 2018)
Old 1st February 2018

Thanked 1,259 Times in 1,203 Posts
Liked 939 Times in 657 Posts

A NAS will beep at you if a disk fails. You can also set it up so that it can email you. A simple 2 mirrored disk will suffice but restoring a failed disk can involve reading the manual. Synology do a 3 mirrored disk system where you can get hot plug and play recovery which is simply a matter of pulling out the failed disk and plugging in a new one with the system still running. Costs a bit more than a 2 disk system though. Mounting disks from a NAS onto your machine is just like mounting any shared network drive and can be done from the GUI interface.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
AMc (1st February 2018)
Old 1st February 2018

Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Given how much Windows 10 thrashes the system HDs in my PCs I'd imagine an SSD's life mightn't be too long.

-snip-

I would have expected a RAID system to know when one of the drives failed and to tell you about it? I have no experience of them myself.
This former Windows 8 now 10 has been used 5 days a week 8 hours a day for quite a while and it's not had a problem... yet Nothing lasts forever I daresay I've just jinxed it now!

The RAID array I was talking about was more than 2 mirrored disks (IIRC). The muppet in charge of looking after it ignored the warnings until it had lost too many disks and failed catastrophically. The problem was it was specced with a identical disks from the same manufacturer that all failed with controller faults in rapid order.
We paid a small fortune to a data recovery company who failed to get anything back we needed
I was not using the server as primary storage for my projects so I was OK - my colleagues lost weeks of work

As I said this is ancient history and I'm sure consumer grade NAS will knock what we had into the late 1990s for less than 100.

Just for me, a NAS with RAID is more complexity and cost than I need - simple manual copies are more than enough for my uses.

Returning to the OP's Q, I can see a USB3 external SSD will be faster to copy/read files. The only place I can really see an advantage is SSD contain no moving parts so they're more resilient to rough handling. If I were going on an Antarctic expedition I might buy one to back up to in preference to a spinning disk version.

Having had a look there's no way I'd pay these prices.
https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage...ble-SSD-Drives

I'd buy a couple of one of these
https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage...Drives?190=1TB
Old 1st February 2018

Liked 392 Times in 252 Posts

I'm considering building a NAS using a Raspberry Pi which seems perfectly able to do the job, but it's a steep learning curve! I would use a spinning disk as speed and robustness are not priorities. A RAID is probably an unnecessary extra too.

I'm not really as paranoid about backups as perhaps I should be, but really important stuff resides on more than one machine. Interesting that your disks all failed over a short period, I guess the manufacturer's quality control was pretty good!
Old 1st February 2018

Liked 68 Times in 44 Posts

i agree with much of the preceding discussion. SSDs are great for speed (and can give an amazing boost to an older system) but long-term reliability is not yet their strongest point.

I use a basic NAS setup, with two 3TB high-reliability disks in a D-link 2-bay enclosure. I do not use a RAID arrangement (mirrored disks), for the simple reason that they mirror deletions as well as additions. Instead, I use one of the disks as my routine back-up from various PCs on my network and use the D-Link software to back up automatically from this disk to the second disk, each morning. This means that if I accidentally delete something from the first disk, it is retained on the second.
Old 1st February 2018

Liked 373 Times in 173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
HDDs are fine if you don't rely on one copy, which you shouldn't regardless of the media. A good HDD backup routine will be more effective and cheaper. SSDs have a relatively short life if used intensively. My OS one failed recently after nearly 5 years. They normally only do 3 years or so I'm told.
Bruce,
A significant failure mode for SSD technology is that the number of write cycles to any given storage cell is somewhat limited (and hence SSDs have built-in redundancy and their internal controller logic attempts to vary the write locations to prevent any given cell from being overwritten too many times).

For Sapper's purpose i.e. storing photos this is more akin to a 'write-once', 'read-many' mode of use - which is well suited to the SSD technology and therefore the SSD lifespan should be at least as good as an HDD.

Some years ago there was a well-known brand of consumer SSDs which had very poor reliability - but this is not a general issue with current products (and was not an industry-wide issue at the time).

Last edited by Gwyver; 1st February 2018 at 06:24 PM. Reason: additional clarification
Old 1st February 2018

Thanked 1,126 Times in 1,051 Posts
Liked 1,318 Times in 693 Posts

Interesting thread. Sorry about your disaster Dave but I'm finding all this info really useful. I've been pondering over a NAS setup for a while but hadn't thought of looking for one at the Photo Show. If you are there on Saturday Dave then perhaps we could compare notes. Hope you get your data recovered soon.
Old 2nd February 2018

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
Bruce,
A significant failure mode for SSD technology is that the number of write cycles to any given storage cell is somewhat limited (and hence SSDs have built-in redundancy and their internal controller logic attempts to vary the write locations to prevent any given cell from being overwritten too many times).

For Sapper's purpose i.e. storing photos this is more akin to a 'write-once', 'read-many' mode of use - which is well suited to the SSD technology and therefore the SSD lifespan should be at least as good as an HDD.

Some years ago there was a well-known brand of consumer SSDs which had very poor reliability - but this is not a general issue with current products (and was not an industry-wide issue at the time).
With light use, an SSD will probably last a long time, but then so will an HDD probably, and they are still a lot cheaper. That will change steadily.

I have one 2TB portable drive that I back up to using Windows 10 File History. I only plug it in every few days, so the wear is very light. I have another 2TB portable drive Fat32 formatted that I do entirely manual backups to less regularly as a secondary backup. I usually replace the whole year folder, and the Lightroom folder. It is also useful to view my images on my Android tablet when away, through an OTG connector (plus portable power), and on my 4K TV. I got both for around 70 quid each (or 'free' via Nectar points)

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/