Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 25th November 2017

Liked 96 Times in 65 Posts
EE-1 Dot Sight

Anyone else use one of these? I tried a search on "EE-1", which yielded nothing.

I bought one to help in finding and following subjects, when using my Pan/Leica 100-400mm lens. I found it very easy to use and everything was looking good, until I looked at the results from my E-M1 - mostly completely out of focus I tried all sorts of setting for the AF but never achieved a satisfactory hit-rate.

I've recently changed to the E-M1 Mk ii and gave the dot sight it's first trial this afternoon, in bright sunny conditions at my local gravel pit lake. I am very pleased to report that the Tracking C-AF seems to be in a different league from the original M1 The lens found and held focus on various birds in flight, even when they flew in front of background trees.

The only fault (and it's quite a serious one, although easily remedied) with the EE-1 is that there are no markings (or locks) on the setting wheels, which are easily knocked out of adjustment. My next step will be to line everything up on a bright planet and then put some markings on the dials. Time will tell how well the position is held, when moving the sight on and off the hotshoe.
Old 26th November 2017

Thanked 1,038 Times in 643 Posts
Liked 1,229 Times in 580 Posts
Re: EE-1 Dot Sight

Hi Mike, and welcome to the fray.

Regards your post you might find this - It's from a non-related site - useful? http://mirrorlessplanet.com/2016/02/...red-dot-sight/

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
MikeOxon (26th November 2017)
Old 26th November 2017

Thank you Wally - I hadn't seen that website before. Loren is a bit OTT in describing the way it works - there's no laser but just an LED and a mirror, which superimposes the image of the target on the real scene. It's the same as a gun sight.

For me, the biggest flaw is the setting wheels, which are used to align the target image correctly. There are no markings and no lock, so I've added a couple of white lines on the two wheels after carefully aligning my camera and lens on the moon. There will be parallax error on close subjects, which I've not determined yet.

EE-1with-marks.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EE-1with-marks.jpg (40.3 KB, 24 views)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (29th November 2017)
Old 28th November 2017

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

I’ve put a couple of pieces of black tape on the dials on mine which is easy to partially peel off if I need to change the settings if I use it with the 40-150. I usually use it with the 300 when I have the 1.4 converter on it.
Old 29th November 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclairewilliams View Post
Iíve put a couple of pieces of black tape on the dials on mine which is easy to partially peel off if I need to change the settings if I use it with the 40-150. I usually use it with the 300 when I have the 1.4 converter on it.
Do you find that different lenses need different settings or is just that you tend to use the 40-150 for subjects closer to the camera? (where parallax becomes an issue)