Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 14th October 2017
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 4,904
Thanks: 516
Thanked 365 Times in 326 Posts
Likes: 625
Liked 1,473 Times in 892 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Why blame Olympus ? A 12 month warranty is exactly that, 12 months. It wouldn't matter what company you were dealing with or if you had purchased an item for 120,000 the result would be the same .... Warranty Expired. it happens to us all at some point.

John
Just my four penneth... being 'fit for purpose' springs to mind. I guess it takes precedence over arbitrary warranties. I worked in defence ... never heard of warranties being mentioned, it was either fit for purpose or it wasn't. If it wasn't, you know what...
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14th October 2017
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 12,571
Thanks: 1,893
Thanked 1,182 Times in 935 Posts
Likes: 4,600
Liked 1,557 Times in 917 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
Sorry to have to raise this thread again and I know it is Friday the 13th.

Today I just knocked mine gently which put the hood off key and gently trying to straighten it it came away in my hands.

The thought of buying the 300mm pro has been put off as it has a similar hood.

Stocks in the UK are almost depleted which includes Olympus themselves.

I know I can buy a solid cap Canon ET-78 ll as a replacement but I much prefer keeping my equipment Olympus.

Due to the shortage of the lens cap I wonder if the manufacturer are making improvements to the design - it seems it needs to.


Regards. Barr1e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Barrie

Do you mean the whole thing came off the lens or it fell to pieces?

The lens hood is removable on the 40-150, so it may not be a fault!!

Paul
One assumes Barrie is talking about the lens hood (& not cap).

As this is a "Pro" lens one would expect "Pro" service for it, regardless of warranty length. If this is truly a weakness in design (mine's still OK) then shouldn't Olympus be redesigning the hood for replacements? If it is truly weak, then shouldn't it be recalled for an updated "Pro" quality replacement hood instead?

I have an AEG battery mower that was intended for commercial use (a bit like Olympus intending the E-M1 Mk II for 'Pro' use) but the lower handle assembly was made too thin & so they have modified it so as they fail they are replaced with a more robust replacement instead. I don't see this issue being any different for Olympus if that hood is falling apart as much as I seem to be led to understand & that a more robust designed hood should be made available for warranty replacement at least. They had to for the articulating screen mount on the E-3 that I seem to remember.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14th October 2017
Walti Walti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 2,394
Thanks: 259
Thanked 144 Times in 129 Posts
Likes: 194
Liked 1,077 Times in 431 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
One assumes Barrie is talking about the lens hood (& not cap).

As this is a "Pro" lens one would expect "Pro" service for it, regardless of warranty length. If this is truly a weakness in design (mine's still OK) then shouldn't Olympus be redesigning the hood for replacements? If it is truly weak, then shouldn't it be recalled for an updated "Pro" quality replacement hood instead?

I have an AEG battery mower that was intended for commercial use (a bit like Olympus intending the E-M1 Mk II for 'Pro' use) but the lower handle assembly was made too thin & so they have modified it so as they fail they are replaced with a more robust replacement instead. I don't see this issue being any different for Olympus if that hood is falling apart as much as I seem to be led to understand & that a more robust designed hood should be made available for warranty replacement at least. They had to for the articulating screen mount on the E-3 that I seem to remember.
Ross,

My point is that the HOOD is removable, so if it simply "fell off in his hand" after hitting it on something, it probably twisted and was released!

However if it fell apart then this is obviously un-acceptable!
__________________

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 14th October 2017
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 12,571
Thanks: 1,893
Thanked 1,182 Times in 935 Posts
Likes: 4,600
Liked 1,557 Times in 917 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Ross,

My point is that the HOOD is removable, so if it simply "fell off in his hand" after hitting it on something, it probably twisted and was released!

However if it fell apart then this is obviously un-acceptable!
Yes, I know it can come off easy.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 14th October 2017
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 3,607
Thanks: 206
Thanked 324 Times in 206 Posts
Likes: 674
Liked 442 Times in 179 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Ross,

My point is that the HOOD is removable, so if it simply "fell off in his hand" after hitting it on something, it probably twisted and was released!

However if it fell apart then this is obviously un-acceptable!
It was similar to Anne's problem as seen in the image which started the thread.

In my case I laid the camera down at a slight angle with the hood in its extended state which knocked it askew. Gently trying to straighten the hood it came apart. I wasn't expecting that to happen, after all as Ross says it was part of a pro lens.

---------
John thanks for the Kaiser info and confirmation.

--------

Thanks to all for your input - I think it is time to put this baby to bed!


Regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barr1e For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (14th October 2017)
  #21  
Old 14th October 2017
Walti Walti is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 2,394
Thanks: 259
Thanked 144 Times in 129 Posts
Likes: 194
Liked 1,077 Times in 431 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
It was similar to Anne's problem as seen in the image which started the thread.

In my case I laid the camera down at a slight angle with the hood in its extended state which knocked it askew. Gently trying to straighten the hood it came apart. I wasn't expecting that to happen, after all as Ross says it was part of a pro lens.

---------
John thanks for the Kaiser info and confirmation.

--------

Thanks to all for your input - I think it is time to put this baby to bed!


Regards. Barr1e
Friday 13th indeed!
__________________

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Barr1e (15th October 2017)
  #22  
Old 26th October 2017
Grumpy Hec's Avatar
Grumpy Hec Grumpy Hec is offline
Grumpy Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mersea Island, Essex
Posts: 2,331
Thanks: 220
Thanked 313 Times in 247 Posts
Likes: 542
Liked 458 Times in 219 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Mine fell to bits about two months ago. However after a deal of careful re-assembly I got it all back and working with the securing ring superglued in place.

That worked well until last week when said securing ring came loose again. Clearly superglue was not up to the job. I suspect that the available area where glue can be applied such that the twist ring still moves to unlock the hood is too small for the glue to work effectively.

So I have just re-glued using Araldite Instant taking great care to keep the glue well away for the moving parts. At the moment that looks good but only time will tell.

When you look at the mechanism design it is positively fiendish but clearly too fragile.


Hec
__________________
I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (26th October 2017)
  #23  
Old 27th October 2017
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 3,607
Thanks: 206
Thanked 324 Times in 206 Posts
Likes: 674
Liked 442 Times in 179 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Mine fell to bits about two months ago. However after a deal of careful re-assembly I got it all back and working with the securing ring superglued in place.

That worked well until last week when said securing ring came loose again. Clearly superglue was not up to the job. I suspect that the available area where glue can be applied such that the twist ring still moves to unlock the hood is too small for the glue to work effectively.

So I have just re-glued using Araldite Instant taking great care to keep the glue well away for the moving parts. At the moment that looks good but only time will tell.

When you look at the mechanism design it is positively fiendish but clearly too fragile.


Hec
We replaced Anne's with a new one.

I couldn't find a replacement as stocks were not available. Like you I glued mine back together with Ever Build stick 2 special Gel Formula Superglue omitting the ball bearings and copper springs - seems to have bonded well.

Regards. Barr1e
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12th January 2018
Grumpy Hec's Avatar
Grumpy Hec Grumpy Hec is offline
Grumpy Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mersea Island, Essex
Posts: 2,331
Thanks: 220
Thanked 313 Times in 247 Posts
Likes: 542
Liked 458 Times in 219 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Well, the story continues. The drated securing ring came away again.

So I've cleaned everything up as best I can and then reglued using some marine epoxy resin designed for aluminium. It takes 24hrs to cure but in theory it is a reliable bond.

Again only time will tell.

It's a shame this lens hood is not really robust enough. Then again I suppose it could be that I'm a clumsy oaf!

Hec
__________________
I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12th September 2018
DerekW DerekW is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 2,762
Thanks: 67
Thanked 300 Times in 235 Posts
Likes: 16
Liked 404 Times in 288 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Just had a hood failure today, two problems I am in Lisbon Portugal, and about to board a ship to go to the Azores next week. Coimbra the Olympus repair location is only about 100 miles to the north.
I rang the Oly support number and they were very helpful to me.
They commented on the amount of Oly kit I had registered on the registration web site.

With a bit of luck I will have the replacement lens hood in time for the departure..

So so far I am impressed with the help they gave me.
__________________
This space for rent
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 13th September 2018
DerekW DerekW is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 2,762
Thanks: 67
Thanked 300 Times in 235 Posts
Likes: 16
Liked 404 Times in 288 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

and the good news is that on returning to the hotel this evening a nice new lens hood - so thank you Olympus.
__________________
This space for rent
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (4 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (14th September 2018)
  #27  
Old 14th September 2018
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 3,607
Thanks: 206
Thanked 324 Times in 206 Posts
Likes: 674
Liked 442 Times in 179 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

After the loss of another we have replaced them with the JJC LH78ll.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4064715?page=2

..
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barr1e For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (4 Weeks Ago)
  #28  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 12,571
Thanks: 1,893
Thanked 1,182 Times in 935 Posts
Likes: 4,600
Liked 1,557 Times in 917 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
After the loss of another we have replaced them with the JJC LH78ll.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4064715?page=2

..
I've made an offer to an ebay seller & we'll see if they accept. I've decided to get one in case my lens hood should fail. It's not just the shading but the physical protection I want too. Can it be reversed to park on the 40-150 lens too?
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 45kms NW of London
Posts: 3,607
Thanks: 206
Thanked 324 Times in 206 Posts
Likes: 674
Liked 442 Times in 179 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I've made an offer to an ebay seller & we'll see if they accept. I've decided to get one in case my lens hood should fail. It's not just the shading but the physical protection I want too. Can it be reversed to park on the 40-150 lens too?

Hi Ross -

It does reverse - the thread I think may be slightly different to the Olympus as a little movement is noticed in either position. It has held up well on the various trips out and about. AIMHO.

..
__________________
Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barr1e For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (4 Weeks Ago)
  #30  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 12,571
Thanks: 1,893
Thanked 1,182 Times in 935 Posts
Likes: 4,600
Liked 1,557 Times in 917 Posts
Re: It came away in her hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post
Hi Ross -

It does reverse - the thread I think may be slightly different to the Olympus as a little movement is noticed in either position. It has held up well on the various trips out and about. AIMHO.

..
Thanks. I've now ordered one to have as a back up.

__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! Where can I get my hands on one? paullus Camera conference 1 9th August 2015 09:44 PM
Look no Hands Beagletorque Foto Fair 1 13th May 2014 06:19 AM
OK Hands up cliff The lounge 19 1st November 2013 09:06 PM
Hands shirley Looking for improvement 5 22nd April 2009 07:30 AM
You need Hands Nick Temple-Fry Foto Fair 2 5th March 2009 12:19 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger