Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,158 Times in 917 Posts
Liked 1,446 Times in 866 Posts
Re: EM1 MKII Lock Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
What, India Pale Ale?

Jim
Yeah sure mate! Don't worry it will probably only send you blind & with a shocker of a headache.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,457 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
You should read a wonderful old book "The Soul of a New Machine" 1981.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Soul_of_a_New_Machine
They build this crucial new prototype and it is hopelessly unreliable, they try all the normal things.
In despair they lift the chassis a foot off the floor and drop it. Reseat all the boards, and it then works perfectly.
Percussive maintenance its called......

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Growltiger (3 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,343 Times in 817 Posts

With regard to the Lock-Up malarkey, if the manufacturer incorporated a data logger within the system (stored in E^2 memory for example) it would be a simple job for them to diagnose issues such as this. Other manufacturers do this, eg Leica, which I know to be fact, revealed to me in written communication when my M240 went back for investigation.

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 778 Times in 480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
With regard to the Lock-Up malarkey, if the manufacturer incorporated a data logger within the system (stored in E^2 memory for example) it would be a simple job for them to diagnose issues such as this. Other manufacturers do this, eg Leica, which I know to be fact, revealed to me in written communication when my M240 went back for investigation.
How do we know they don't incorporate a data logger ? I doubt if Olympus would make the fact public knowledge.

John
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

As a computer techie we used to use what I assume to have been specially designed rubbers for edge connectors. Twas neither pencil nor ink and was a funny dark beige sort of colour and yes, it did shed bits everywhere so a blast with an air duster or a waft with a brush cleared all the detritus.
I now feel a need to Google ‘edge connector rubber’. (Wonder what delights that will bring up)

Edit: nothing obvious in the Google search (or even remotely pervy!)

Last edited by TimP; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:55 AM. Reason: Added waffle
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
How do we know they don't incorporate a data logger ? I doubt if Olympus would make the fact public knowledge.

John
Olympus do store fault data. You can see it by accessing the appropriate pages in the hidden areas. You get to them the same way you find out the number of photos taken, but on a different page.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
I'd be amazed if Olympus weren't logging some information that they thought might be useful in case of errors.

In addition, while logging can and does help to resolve bugs, there are classes of errors that logging may not offer any help at all - in particular, race hazards. In fact, the use of logging can hide race hazards due to changing the timing of the events causing the problem.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post

John
Maybe they do, but if they have incorporated a logger why does it take so long to resolve the issues.
Not just Olympus, many camera manufactures seem to 'employ' the general public as part of their development team. Imagine a TV disappearing up its own armpit, they'd go out of business pdq if not resolved.

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
I'd be amazed if Olympus weren't logging some information that they thought might be useful in case of errors.

In addition, while logging can and does help to resolve bugs, there are classes of errors that logging may not offer any help at all - in particular, race hazards. In fact, the use of logging can hide race hazards due to changing the timing of the events causing the problem.
Race hazards I know well. It's sorted in the design phase. In the past by pen and paper, then spreadsheets and now s/w emulation. As an example an FPGA can be emulated with all the timing tolerances coupled with temperature effects etc.

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Presumably any data logged is uploaded at some point? At time of firmware update? When connecting camera to Viewer etc? Surely they don’t rely on getting hold of it should they ever receive a camera in the workshops for repair / investigation?
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I guess error files are read at the repair facility if and when the camera is returned, e.g. when the user says 'enough is enough'.

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I've noticed Microsoft running telemetry on my computer, error log or something like that. It's all possible.

on flickr
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Maybe they do, but if they have incorporated a logger why does it take so long to resolve the issues.
Not just Olympus, many camera manufactures seem to 'employ' the general public as part of their development team. Imagine a TV disappearing up its own armpit, they'd go out of business pdq if not resolved.
If I remember correctly, Olympus never publicly acknowledged the existence of a lock up problem with the mk1 despite 100's of reported instances from the UK and all over the world. Unless it's a safety issue, no manufacturer would.

One obvious thing that stretched the time to resolve the issue was created by users reporting the instances on forums such as this but not to Olympus. Users seemed reluctant to send the camera for investigation and repair, preferring to put up with the problem and just keep taking the battery out. A few returned the camera to the retailer for replacement but the problem continued.

If Olympus had 100's of cameras returned under warranty for the same fault they may have been more inclined to address the problem a lot quicker than they eventually did.

With similar lockups now occurring on the mk2 is seems the problem may not have been effectively rectified and may be starting all over again.

John
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Race hazards I know well. It's sorted in the design phase. In the past by pen and paper, then spreadsheets and now s/w emulation. As an example an FPGA can be emulated with all the timing tolerances coupled with temperature effects etc.
Ideally, yes. But, while modern design tools can do a lot to help ensure timing tolerances are accounted for in logic circuitry, it's much more difficult to account for many asynchronous inputs such as from the multiple buttons switches and dials on the camera. Factoring in real-time interrupt-driven software running on multi-core processors makes it even harder.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
I've noticed Microsoft running telemetry on my computer, error log or something like that. It's all possible.
Unless you have all the Win10 invasive options set to "Off", Microsoft collect information on everything that happens on the PC via Windows Error Reporting and then save it it their Win Log Files. They probably even know what you had for breakfast If you're a Kapersky user, maybe Putin knows too

I have CCleaner configured to delete all the log files every time the PC or laptop shuts down. This does mean the files would no longer be any assistance in the event of a problem but at least it deters Microsoft's invasive Big Brother Syndrome

Microsoft is the most invasive data collection system on the planet, followed closely by Google !

John