Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2018

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts
Re: EM1 MKII Lock Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
With regard to the Lock-Up malarkey, if the manufacturer incorporated a data logger within the system (stored in E^2 memory for example) it would be a simple job for them to diagnose issues such as this. Other manufacturers do this, eg Leica, which I know to be fact, revealed to me in written communication when my M240 went back for investigation.
I'd be amazed if Olympus weren't logging some information that they thought might be useful in case of errors.

In addition, while logging can and does help to resolve bugs, there are classes of errors that logging may not offer any help at all - in particular, race hazards. In fact, the use of logging can hide race hazards due to changing the timing of the events causing the problem.
Old 30th May 2018

Liked 1,473 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
How do we know they don't incorporate a data logger ? I doubt if Olympus would make the fact public knowledge.

John
Maybe they do, but if they have incorporated a logger why does it take so long to resolve the issues.
Not just Olympus, many camera manufactures seem to 'employ' the general public as part of their development team. Imagine a TV disappearing up its own armpit, they'd go out of business pdq if not resolved.

on flickr
Old 30th May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
I'd be amazed if Olympus weren't logging some information that they thought might be useful in case of errors.

In addition, while logging can and does help to resolve bugs, there are classes of errors that logging may not offer any help at all - in particular, race hazards. In fact, the use of logging can hide race hazards due to changing the timing of the events causing the problem.
Race hazards I know well. It's sorted in the design phase. In the past by pen and paper, then spreadsheets and now s/w emulation. As an example an FPGA can be emulated with all the timing tolerances coupled with temperature effects etc.

on flickr
Old 30th May 2018

Liked 203 Times in 146 Posts

Presumably any data logged is uploaded at some point? At time of firmware update? When connecting camera to Viewer etc? Surely they don’t rely on getting hold of it should they ever receive a camera in the workshops for repair / investigation?
Old 30th May 2018

I guess error files are read at the repair facility if and when the camera is returned, e.g. when the user says 'enough is enough'.

on flickr
Old 30th May 2018

I've noticed Microsoft running telemetry on my computer, error log or something like that. It's all possible.

on flickr
Old 30th May 2018

Liked 96 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Race hazards I know well. It's sorted in the design phase. In the past by pen and paper, then spreadsheets and now s/w emulation. As an example an FPGA can be emulated with all the timing tolerances coupled with temperature effects etc.
Ideally, yes. But, while modern design tools can do a lot to help ensure timing tolerances are accounted for in logic circuitry, it's much more difficult to account for many asynchronous inputs such as from the multiple buttons switches and dials on the camera. Factoring in real-time interrupt-driven software running on multi-core processors makes it even harder.
Old 30th May 2018

Liked 976 Times in 477 Posts

Blimey this thread has taken on a life of it's own

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (30th May 2018)
Old 30th May 2018

Liked 1,884 Times in 968 Posts

My own experience of the EM1 I and 2 has never had a lock up...

So there....

Was a bit of a troll I reckon....

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (30th May 2018), wornish (30th May 2018)
Old 30th May 2018

On the plus side it keeps us amused.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (30th May 2018)
Old 30th May 2018

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Unless you have all the Win10 invasive options set to "Off", Microsoft collect information on everything that happens on the PC via Windows Error Reporting and then save it it their Win Log Files. They probably even know what you had for breakfast If you're a Kapersky user, maybe Putin knows too

I have CCleaner configured to delete all the log files every time the PC or laptop shuts down. This does mean the files would no longer be any assistance in the event of a problem but at least it deters Microsoft's invasive Big Brother Syndrome

Microsoft is the most invasive data collection system on the planet, followed closely by Google !

John
Yep, that's why despite being a Windows user since version 3 I abandoned it in favour of Mac and OSX/MacOS 18 months ago and have never looked back or had such a peaceful user experience. None of my remaining Windows systems (professional use) are allowed to progress beyond Windows 7 except the servers which are a whole other ball game. I also have as little to do with Google as humanly possible, including Android etc. I - don't - trust - any - of - them.

Anyhoo, not to drift off-topic, the purpose of this post is to address those who thing that debugging and troubleshooting is as simple as recording a log for later examination. Let me tell you, useful as they may seem to be, for lock-ups they are next to useless. A locked, deadlocked or wait-listed processor is usually unable to record log events. In many years of working with IT systems no logs have ever been really useful, lock-ups more quickly resolved by component swap which is not so easy on an integrated digital device. Changing batteries, memory cards or lenses seems to me to be more likely to lead to a resolution.

I would also report a couple of years use of an EM-1 Mk I without a single lock-up and look forward to a similar experience with my recently acquired Mk II.

Loves photography but so little time
The Following User Says Thank You to jima For This Useful Post:
Old 30th May 2018

Liked 1,884 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima View Post
Yep, that's why despite being a Windows user since version 3 I abandoned it in favour of Mac and OSX/MacOS 18 months ago and have never looked back or had such a peaceful user experience. None of my remaining Windows systems (professional use) are allowed to progress beyond Windows 7 except the servers which are a whole other ball game. I also have as little to do with Google as humanly possible, including Android etc. I - don't - trust - any - of - them.

Anyhoo, not to drift off-topic, the purpose of this post is to address those who thing that debugging and troubleshooting is as simple as recording a log for later examination. Let me tell you, useful as they may seem to be, for lock-ups they are next to useless. A locked, deadlocked or wait-listed processor is usually unable to record log events. In many years of working with IT systems no logs have ever been really useful, lock-ups more quickly resolved by component swap which is not so easy on an integrated digital device. Changing batteries, memory cards or lenses seems to me to be more likely to lead to a resolution.

I would also report a couple of years use of an EM-1 Mk I without a single lock-up and look forward to a similar experience with my recently acquired Mk II.
Has James lost it? I do not understand what he is trying to get at, the whole thread is a troll......

WGAF.................

My Flickr
Old 31st May 2018

Liked 203 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima View Post
......In many years of working with IT systems no logs have ever been really useful......
Presumably not working in a professional capacity then. Windows event logs (server and desktop O/S) can be a surprisingly useful, and often overlooked, source of information.

(Should I stop feeding the trolls now?)
Old 31st May 2018

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Presumably not working in a professional capacity then. Windows event logs (server and desktop O/S) can be a surprisingly useful, and often overlooked, source of information.

(Should I stop feeding the trolls now?)
In the context of lock-ups, Tim, please try to keep up Stopping feeding the trolls now. Perhaps a mod might be kind enough to lock this one out?

Loves photography but so little time
Old 31st May 2018
Administrator

Liked 378 Times in 205 Posts

If it doesn't calm down a bit we will have to. The thread should return to objective evidence and discussions on such if people want it to stay open

When posting please remember we aim to be a family friendly forum

Regards

Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shenstone For This Useful Post:
Graham from Wirral (3rd June 2018), jima (31st May 2018), Ross the fiddler (1st June 2018), Zuiko (31st May 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (31st May 2018), George Dorn (31st May 2018), jima (31st May 2018), MJ224 (31st May 2018)
Closed Thread