Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 7th August 2014

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
First Lock-up.

Sadly I suffered my first lock up on my E-M1 yesterday. Strange circumstances as well. I had the 12-40mm attached and I had been shooting in aperture priority, single shot with auto focus. I had taken several shots and then when I put the camera to my eye once again I had a blank white screen in the EVF. Turning the camera on and off wouldn't clear it so I had to remove the PBH and camera battery to do so. On replacing the camera battery and the PBH I noticed the PBH battery symbol was flashing as it does when it's about to run out and switch to the camera battery. However when it did switch over, the camera battery symbol was also flashing meaning it too was almost flat. This is strange as both batteries were fully charged and the PBH battery is set to be used first.
I have been using an Ex-Pro dual rapid charger instead of the Olympus one and I'm wondering if rapid charging isn't fully charging the batteries and this may have contributed to the lock-up.
I just hope it's a one off.

Steve

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 7th August 2014

Liked 4,227 Times in 1,393 Posts
Re: First Lock-up.

A cursory look at the reported hangups shows no objective, discernible pattern at all. Many users come up with theories that relate to what they were doing at the time, but there's so many of them they can't all be true. I'd be surprised if battery issues are the underlying cause of most of the hangups, but that doesn't mean battery issues don't cause some of them.

Personally, I've had problems on both my E-M1 and E-M5 with cheapo 3rd party batteries that cause the camera to hang at the point of pressing the shutter - the screen just goes white and the shutter only half fires. A battery removal is needed simply to get some decent power back.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
paullus (7th August 2014)
Old 7th August 2014

Thanked 1,157 Times in 916 Posts
Liked 1,439 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullus View Post
Sadly I suffered my first lock up on my E-M1 yesterday. Strange circumstances as well. I had the 12-40mm attached and I had been shooting in aperture priority, single shot with auto focus. I had taken several shots and then when I put the camera to my eye once again I had a blank white screen in the EVF. Turning the camera on and off wouldn't clear it so I had to remove the PBH and camera battery to do so. On replacing the camera battery and the PBH I noticed the PBH battery symbol was flashing as it does when it's about to run out and switch to the camera battery. However when it did switch over, the camera battery symbol was also flashing meaning it too was almost flat. This is strange as both batteries were fully charged and the PBH battery is set to be used first.
I have been using an Ex-Pro dual rapid charger instead of the Olympus one and I'm wondering if rapid charging isn't fully charging the batteries and this may have contributed to the lock-up.
I just hope it's a one off.

Steve
I wouldn't be using the rapid charger unless it was needed for that quick charge before you went out etc. A slow charge & with the Olympus charger would be a better idea. Also, tarnishing of the battery contacts on the battery & also the camera can also occur (but generally over time) as well which can be cleaned with a pencil eraser (in a pencil form for that pointed application) followed by alcohol on cotton buds (on a stick) & then buffed dry with the dry end of the cotton bud (if using the double ended ones from the supermarket or chemist). At least by doing that you can eliminate a power supply suspect connection (also clean the grip/body connections the same way).

BTW, I had a similar occurrence with my E-M5 once.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 7th August 2014

Hi PDK42.
Thanks for the reply. I was using my OE Olympus batteries at the time it locked up.
Weirdly though after removing the PBH the body battery is now showing a full charge!!??

Thanks also Ross.
I'm going to keep the rapid charger for the quick boost as you suggest and use the Oly charger as a matter of course.

Steve.

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 12th August 2014

Liked 74 Times in 45 Posts

I had some weird behaviour from my EM-1 last week.
After taking images, upon pressing the blue 'view' button the camera made a noise as if it was taking 4 or 5 images before switching itself off. This happened a number of times, despite changing a lot of settings. (HDR and bracketing not involved)

After hyper ventilating and getting very sweaty I removed and put the battery back in, did the same with the lens and gave it a stern talking to. Switched it back on and since then no issues.
brian1208 (12th August 2014)
Old 13th August 2014

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I've not had the lockup but last week I had the same battery problem as Paullus. I know both were charged using the Olympus Charger before I went out for the day. One is an official battery, the other is a HAMA substitute.

The HAMA was in the PBH, which I've set to use first. When it run out, the camera just shut down and wouldn't switch on. Fortunately it was the end of the day and we had finished shooting. When I got home both batteries were flat and had to be charged.

I've not been able to fully use the PBH battery since then so I don't know if it will happen again.
No matter how advanced your camera you still need to be responsible for getting it to the right place at the right time and pointing it in the right direction to get the photo you want. - Ken Rockwell

Say It With A Camera
Photography From North Wales
Flickr
Old 13th August 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Nothing to do with the lock-ups many people have reported on the E-M1, but historically the portrait grip has given some trouble on Olympus digital cameras since it was introduced on the E-1. Maybe, as Ross suggests, it's down to bad contacts. Maybe it's down to not being fastened tightly enough. I don't know.

Indeed, thinking back, I had trouble with the grip on my Canon 5D way back. I avoid the things now.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 13th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Nothing to do with the lock-ups many people have reported on the E-M1, but historically the portrait grip has given some trouble on Olympus digital cameras since it was introduced on the E-1. Maybe, as Ross suggests, it's down to bad contacts. Maybe it's down to not being fastened tightly enough. I don't know.

Indeed, thinking back, I had trouble with the grip on my Canon 5D way back. I avoid the things now.
Are you going avoid driving your car after seeing the first road accident? No?

I think being aware of issues with whatever equipment we use only makes us careful how we use them & if careful using the grips & being aware of little foibles with them, they can then serve us well. First make sure the contacts are clean & not tarnished, 2nd, make sure it is mounted firmly without movement (if possible) & 3rd, make sure the batteries are reliable too (clean contacts without tarnish & preferably, original Olympus batteries, as well as being fully charged). The other thing that I have found with the HlD-4 (for E3 & E30 & E5) & the HLD-6 for E-M5 is that the portrait button was not fully locked in every way with the switch on 'lock' as an accidental (simultaneous) pressing of it enabled the shutter to be fired with just a half press of the landscape (camera or grip) shutter button. I think that may have been solved for the HLD-7 on the E-M1, but as I don't have one I can't be sure. I like the grip for most usage but also like using the E-M1 in its more compact form without it too & once I add that to my kit I should not hesitate to remove it for a more compact kit on occasions (instead of filling my bag with gripped cameras), but we shall see.

Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
raichea (14th August 2014)
Old 13th August 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Ross, I avoid them not for that reason but simply that every portrait grip I have ever owned and used makes, to me, the camera awkward and unbalanced.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 13th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Ross, I avoid them not for that reason but simply that every portrait grip I have ever owned and used makes, to me, the camera awkward and unbalanced.
I guess I like 'poser' part it of instead.

But, the two batteries are better than that annoying moment when it decides to go flat with just one!
Old 21st December 2014

Second lock up ever this morning. Firmware 2.2 loaded, two fully charged batteries fitted and using the 12-40mm, just snapping my grandson feeding the ducks on a local lake. I had the camera set to iAuto. I had taken several shots and then suddenly it locked up. EVF was black but I still had a preview of the picture I'd taken on the LCD. The camera was completely unresponsive and only removing the batteries cleared it.

Talking about iAuto, I have to say the colour rendition of the subject in this mode is very close to perfect.

***Steve***