Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 2nd March 2013

Thanked 1,181 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 1,556 Times in 916 Posts
Exclamation HLD-6 Lock doesn't lock all!

While focussing on the E-M5 with the HLD-6 switched to lock, sometimes I've accidently pressed the portrait shutter button fully as well (by cupping my hand around an attached grip strap). That should be fine with the switch set to 'Lock', but not so! If the portrait button is fully pressed (not half pressed) when locked & the landscape or camera shutter button is half pressed to focus, it will just take an exposure.

Could others please try this to see if it is a general issue? By fully pressing the portrait shutter button with HLD-6 switch set to lock & half press camera or landscape shutter button to focus only. Alternatively, half press camera or lanscape shutter button to focus & press the portrait shutter button fully (with lock on). Mine will take an exposure like this. I will clean all the contacts if I need to, but I wonder if it is hardware or firmware related?

Thanks.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 2nd March 2013

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Re: HLD-6 Lock doesn't lock all!

Hi Ross, I have just tried mine and all working as it should, I have noticed in the blurb the HLD 6 is programmable so it could be swithed off for some reason, if not I would get intouch with Olympus or were you purchased it from and get it exchanged if New or fixed under warranty.

Dave
Ross the fiddler (2nd March 2013)
Old 2nd March 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Ross, no problem with mine either, sorry to hear but it sounds like you've got a duff one...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetset95 For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (2nd March 2013)
Old 2nd March 2013

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Hello Ross. I have a very early HLD-6 (from the original free-if-you-buy-the-camera-early offer). My E-M5 is also early but has the 1.6 firmware (is this relevant?). I notice that when I present the camera for firmware update, I get a version for the camera and one for the lens -- it doesn't look as though there is upgradable firmware inthe grip.

I put the grip on lock (camera switched on, of course). None of the buttons has any effect. I point the camera at something, press the main shutter button halfway to find focus then hold same (to maintain focus in case I move the camera). Then I push the ("locked") shutter button on the grip -- picture is taken!

I don't see how that can be a contact cleaning issue because the buttons are correctly dead (unless the main shutter button is pushed halfway). I am too lazy and busy trying to understand other cameras, such as the E-30 and the E-3, to learn how to use Fn1, Fn2, B-Fn1 B-Fn2 so I can't comment on whether they are doing the right thing. But I do not recall tailoring any of those to do something non-standard.

Sounds like a software bug in the camera to me. I imagine that each switch corresponds to one or more pins in the set that connects each half of the grip and all the interpreting is done in the camera. It doesn't affect me because I keep only the top half of the grip attached to the camera usually. I do love my E-M5 though.

I suggest telling Olympus so they can fix it in 1.7. Sorry about your problem
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre L For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (3rd March 2013)
Old 2nd March 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Mine behaves exactly the same as yours and Pierre L's Ross.

Maybe the designers thought users might just accidently catch the "locked" button enough to "half press" it but not hard enough to fully press it which needs more pressure.
I can't say I've ever had a problem with this. However I can see that the use of a grip strap could lead to effectively quite a firm press on the button.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (3rd March 2013)
Old 3rd March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Mine behaves exactly the same as yours and Pierre L's Ross.

Maybe the designers thought users might just accidently catch the "locked" button enough to "half press" it but not hard enough to fully press it which needs more pressure.
I can't say I've ever had a problem with this. However I can see that the use of a grip strap could lead to effectively quite a firm press on the button.

Regards.
Thanks both of you Pierre & Peter (the same name ) for checking this. It confirms my suspicions that it is probably a firmware issue & was only noticed because I was using an aftermarket grip strap that wasn't as convenient as I had hoped. It was when I held the camera gripping around the outside of the strap which was pressing on the shutter button (unknowingly) & trying to get focus lock with the (landscape or camera's) shutter button that it surprised me by taking the exposure. I will report this to Olympus here (in Australia) & if you could there as well, then hopefully that can be corrected in another firmware update (we've had a few ). When I did my latest 1.6 firmware update, I had forgotten to lock the portrait controls & after the big OK appeared, I turned it off as required & back on again, holding it around the grip strap & I thought I had stuffed the firmware up as it was trying to focus. I was even driven to removing the batteries before realising what was happening.

At least I now know I don't need to be too concerned again.

Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 3rd March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre L View Post
Hello Ross. I have a very early HLD-6 (from the original free-if-you-buy-the-camera-early offer). My E-M5 is also early but has the 1.6 firmware (is this relevant?). I notice that when I present the camera for firmware update, I get a version for the camera and one for the lens -- it doesn't look as though there is upgradable firmware inthe grip.

I put the grip on lock (camera switched on, of course). None of the buttons has any effect. I point the camera at something, press the main shutter button halfway to find focus then hold same (to maintain focus in case I move the camera). Then I push the ("locked") shutter button on the grip -- picture is taken!

I don't see how that can be a contact cleaning issue because the buttons are correctly dead (unless the main shutter button is pushed halfway). I am too lazy and busy trying to understand other cameras, such as the E-30 and the E-3, to learn how to use Fn1, Fn2, B-Fn1 B-Fn2 so I can't comment on whether they are doing the right thing. But I do not recall tailoring any of those to do something non-standard.

Sounds like a software bug in the camera to me. I imagine that each switch corresponds to one or more pins in the set that connects each half of the grip and all the interpreting is done in the camera. It doesn't affect me because I keep only the top half of the grip attached to the camera usually. I do love my E-M5 though.

I suggest telling Olympus so they can fix it in 1.7. Sorry about your problem
Thanks for all your comments as I'm not always too good with explaining what I mean. I think the grip is all purely hardware (switches, wires & connections) with no internal intelligence (or firmware), except perhaps some power controlling circuitry & all the firmware control happens in the camera.

EDIT: I decided I better try the E30 (with grip) & it does exactly the same thing. It's grip strap hasn't caused me grief like that because I've always put my hand through the strap on that one. It seems the designers never thought it was necessary to block (lock) the full press on the grip when combined with the half press of the camera's shutter button. We can learn something new every day!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Pierre L (3rd March 2013)
Old 3rd March 2013

Since this appears to be a long time design oversight in a number of models (as it functions the same way with my E30 & HLD-4 grip), I've decided to make an add on raised pad for the HLD-6P to raise the area around the thumbwheel & shutter button to minimise accidental pressing of the shutter button (as it only seems to be a problem for this camera model in its physical shape) & will probably be made from aluminium plate covered in leather attached by doubled sided tape (possibly the thick black high strength stuff) as there is a nice flat area to do this. It would need to be nicely sculptured (in sympathy with the original design) & would probably be nice to extend it up into the chamfered part of the HLD-6G grip as well (but not attached to it).

That's my plan anyhow & will show photos when done.

Old 5th March 2013

Liked 753 Times in 270 Posts

Ross I can confirm that mine too behaves in the way you describe.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (5th March 2013)
Old 7th March 2013

I have now made a leather covered pad to surround the portrait shutter button & front wheel to minimise accidental pressing of the shutter button (even when it is supposed to be locked).

The first is the aluminium plate (that got reshaped a little after this shot).

The leather covered pad is fixed in place with thick black double sided tape.

Not perfect but functional (I may remove the leather & reshape it a little more). It also feels better when holding in landscape position too.

I hope this can be helpful for anyone else that has similar issues.

Pierre L (7th March 2013)
Old 7th March 2013

Nice job Ross

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 7th March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Nice job Ross
Thanks Huw. At least it solves my use of it & adds a little more comfort in use too. I'll (hope to) eventually get around to tidying it up a little better, just because I prefer to have things perfect, but the desire doesn't always come to action & to fruition.

Old 7th March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I'll (hope to) eventually get around to tidying it up a little better, just because I prefer to have things perfect, but the desire doesn't always come to action & to fruition.

Ross I think we are quite alike, sorry to selectively quote but your last comment rings so true for me
My better half says that I'm such a perfectionist that I won't start projects for fear of them not coming up to my lofty standards.... sometimes handily it get worse as I get older

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Ross the fiddler (7th March 2013)
Old 7th March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Ross I think we are quite alike, sorry to selectively quote but your last comment rings so true for me
My better half says that I'm such a perfectionist that I won't start projects for fear of then not coming up to my lofty standards.... sometimes handily it get worse as I get older
Yeah, I know the feeling. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be unfounded for me as I have far too many incomplete projects that I have to do because someone else wouldn't do it good enough. I am slowly (too slow for my wife) & reluctingly learning to get over that & employ others to do it as I'm obviously not going to achieve them.

Greytop (8th March 2013)
Old 8th March 2013

I agree Ross, trouble is finding the right people to do the job in mind, always a challenge

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Ross the fiddler (8th March 2013)