Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 393 Times in 252 Posts
Re: Handbrake use.

Rear fog lights should be designed to operate once the switch is pressed, but if they're not switched off they should go off with the ignition and not come back on when the car is restarted. I think my Saabs did that and I'm pretty sure my Alfa does too. Both certainly switch off the lights with the ignition; I can't understand why more don't do that. Some bleep a warning at you that you've left the lights on when you open the door - if they can go to the trouble of doing that surely they can switch the lights off instead?

Something to be aware of if your car has rear disc brakes - if the discs are hot when you park and set the handbrake, as they cool the discs will shrink and the brake force is reduced which can cause the car to roll if on a hill. Leave the car in gear too!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,422 Times in 966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Keeping the clutch depressed causes wear of the clutch release bearing, not so much the engine. The bearing itself is cheap enough but it's a big expensive job to replace it.
Indeed. 'Riding the clutch' when driving is just as harmful. The clutch release bearing probably costs less than 10, but replacing one in a modern car will cost you 500 +.

I am sure that when Jim and I were taught to drive the correct procedure was to come to a halt, apply the handbrake and then disengage gear; in that order.

One of the reasons for this practice was to prevent the car from rolling backwards or forwards, and to reduce damage if hit from behind whilst stationary.

However, our children who have passed their tests much more recently were both taught to stay in gear at lights and to simply use the clutch. In fact they were told that they would FAIL if they used our old technique because it holds up traffic on our congested roads today.

On the subject of automatic gearboxes, many do disengage drive when stationary for more than a second or two, (I know mine does), but of course it is necessary to use the brake pedal to tell the gearbox that you want to remain stationary. There is also the stop-start which also requires use of the brake pedal.

Interestingly, I have just returned from a few days work in Holland, where I took my own car on the ferry. The Dutch roads are probably at least as congested as ours, but the traffic seems to flow much more smoothly. The Dutch also have a 130 KM/Hr (80 MPH) speed limit on many of their motorways, which seems to work perfectly well for them. So why not here?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,460 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
The Dutch also have a 130 KM/Hr (80 MPH) speed limit on many of their motorways, which seems to work perfectly well for them. So why not here?

here here.

Does not happen here because do gooders want to reduce the speed limit. Time and a place for speed, open motorways are usually pretty safe. Congested motorways and roads need speed restrictions...………

(all about relative speed....)

My Flickr
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 124 Times in 78 Posts

Unfortunately, a lot of traffic congestion is caused by the notion of 'traffic calming'. In our borough, our council decided to narrow quite a few roads, in one case causing two lanes to be narrowed into one lane .... just as it meets a dual lane roundabout, all causing unnecessary congestion. Many other roads have been narrowed (by making bigger pavements) and suspension breaking speed bumps - some are very vicious - are everywhere. All causing traffic to congest and fuel to be wasted.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (1 Week Ago), Otto (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Many other roads have been narrowed (by making bigger pavements) and suspension breaking speed bumps - some are very vicious - are everywhere. All causing traffic to congest and fuel to be wasted.
I thought these were supposed to be removed now to reduce air pollution? I cannot say that I have noticed any improvements.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Rear fog lights should be designed to operate once the switch is pressed, but if they're not switched off they should go off with the ignition and not come back on when the car is restarted. I think my Saabs did that and I'm pretty sure my Alfa does too. Both certainly switch off the lights with the ignition; I can't understand why more don't do that. Some bleep a warning at you that you've left the lights on when you open the door - if they can go to the trouble of doing that surely they can switch the lights off instead?
I think most vehicles now have a non-latching circuit to prevent rear fog lights from operating for six weeks after they were last needed, or until the bulbs burn out.

In my view the warning light should be just as bright and painful to look at as the rear fog lights are to following drivers.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 393 Times in 252 Posts

Odd isn't it that for years roads were widened, straightened etc to improve traffic flow, whist now exactly the opposite is happening with the inevitable results. I remember a piece in Car magazine by the great L J K Setright on the subject of lane closures on motorways and the accompanying lower speed limits causing congestion. He cited the venturi principle which suggests that traffic should speed up in narrow sections to keep if flowing at the same rate. His tongue was only slightly in his cheek. He it was also who on the subject of boats said he woud never put to sea in anything smaller than the Isle of Wight .

I rarely use rear fog lights but if I do, I switch them off if there is a vehicle following.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
I rarely use rear fog lights but if I do, I switch them off if there is a vehicle following.
Exactly; on the basis that if I can see a vehicle following the driver can presumably see me too. If conditions are very foggy and I cannot see anything following I switch them on. Simples!

I always look for brake lights several cars ahead, so I have an early warning of the need to stop. Those wretched high intensity rear fog lights prevent anyone from seeing any red lights other than those that are blinding them.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 836 Times in 549 Posts

And another thing:

Has anyone noticed that in spite of the advances in car electronics, the indicator electronics are very unreliable. I've often seen on even quite new cars that they are broken! Audis and BMWs seem particularly seem prone to indicator electronics failure.

Jim

Jim
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bikie John (1 Week Ago), MJ224 (6 Days Ago), Naughty Nigel (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
And another thing:

Has anyone noticed that in spite of the advances in car electronics, the indicator electronics are very unreliable. I've often seen on even quite new cars that they are broken! Audis and BMWs seem particularly seem prone to indicator electronics failure.

Jim

Jim
This is a common fault on many of the more expensive German cars. However, it might just be that their drivers are so self-obsessed and narcissistic that they wouldn't think to understand why anyone else might want to know which direction they are heading. After all, "they know where they are going".

Likewise, Audi, BMW and Mercedes cars are no longer fitted with a reverse gear. In fact I have never seen one of these vehicles reverse for anyone.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jim Ford (1 Week Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago

Thanked 1,118 Times in 996 Posts
Liked 1,132 Times in 744 Posts

I always thought these cars had the cover fitted for Indicators but the internals were optional extras.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 1,460 Times in 756 Posts

BMW Crap gearbox.....

My Flickr
Keith-369 (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 124 Times in 78 Posts

Nice one MJ224. Love that BMW hoax.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith-369 For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 836 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
However, our children who have passed their tests much more recently were both taught to stay in gear at lights and to simply use the clutch. In fact they were told that they would FAIL if they used our old technique because it holds up traffic on our congested roads today.
Hmm, I'm surprised! I was following a learner yesterday and at all the traffic lights the brake lights went off after a second or so, so I guess the tutor was teaching the learner to 'incorrectly' put the car in neutral with the handbrake on, and according to above, teaching them to fail the test!

Jim
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Hmm, I'm surprised! I was following a learner yesterday and at all the traffic lights the brake lights went off after a second or so, so I guess the tutor was teaching the learner to 'incorrectly' put the car in neutral with the handbrake on, and according to above, teaching them to fail the test!

Jim
I have just our children this very question. They both said that they were taught to stay in gear at lights (for a quick getaway in today's heavy traffic) with the handbrake applied.

They were taught that the gearbox should only be put into natural if likely to be stationary for 'some time'.

What I think we are seeing is laziness in not applying the handbrake, or possibly the 'security' of having a foot on the brake.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing