Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 176 Times in 76 Posts
Water Buck at sunset

Young Buck ISO 200 f/4.8 1/400sec 75mm

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
The Following Users Liked This Post:
999RAR (1 Week Ago), Beagletorque (1 Week Ago), drmarkf (1 Week Ago), griffljg (1 Week Ago), Melaka (1 Week Ago), MJ224 (1 Week Ago), Olybirder (1 Week Ago), Phill D (1 Week Ago), wornish (1 Week Ago), Zuiko (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Water Buck at sunset

Thanks guys for liking the photo. Here are some more photos from our trip into Tsavo East game park. The Lion photo came out over exposed with a slight green tint.

Phil
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 144 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

When I see photos like this I can feel a safari coming on again! It's 27 years since we last visited Tsavo but I expect our next will be a return to the Kruger.

EM1, EM5 II
The Following User Liked This Post:
Gate Keeper (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,442 Times in 749 Posts

Nice photos Phil, almost a reflection there...………..

Naughty Simba, looking for dinner by the looks...……….

My Flickr
Gate Keeper (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Nice photos Phil, almost a reflection there...………..

Naughty Simba, looking for dinner by the looks...……….
Thanks Mark, the animals seemed not to be phased out by our presence. The buck and the lion gave eye to eye contact. Both seemed ok with us at keeping our distance from them, 50-100m. Out of shot, is the lion eating a baby giraffe under the shade of the bush. The light was harsh and the heat was about 35C.

Phil
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
When I see photos like this I can feel a safari coming on again! It's 27 years since we last visited Tsavo but I expect our next will be a return to the Kruger.
Thank you Melaka, I have never visited the Kruger, but hey! why not give yourself a treat

Phil
Old 1 Week Ago

Between 1966 and 1991 I was fortunate to be able to visit Tsavo East and West, Amboseli and the Mara as well as smaller parks including Nairobi, Hell's Gate, Naivasha, Nakuru and the Rift as far north as Baringo, all as self drive. In recent years we've favoured SA, especially Kruger, as it's well suited to DIY safaris and is easily reached from Johannesburg.

EM1, EM5 II
Gate Keeper (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Between 1966 and 1991 I was fortunate to be able to visit Tsavo East and West, Amboseli and the Mara as well as smaller parks including Nairobi, Hell's Gate, Naivasha, Nakuru and the Rift as far north as Baringo, all as self drive. In recent years we've favoured SA, especially Kruger, as it's well suited to DIY safaris and is easily reached from Johannesburg.
I can understand the draw to SA if one doesn’t live there, with the way it’s developed for the safari market with everything more accessible from JHB and for the 4x4 fraternity.

We have a farm with vineyards of about 500 acres in the Western Cape, so our attentions are focused on that when ever we are in SA. We lost the farm in 2011 to a wild fire (we were there at the time) and it took us several years to rebuild to what it has now become. Because of the farm we never have the chance to go to the Kruger. When you go on safari, what photo gear do you take?

Phil
Old 1 Week Ago

I'm sorry to hear about the fire. It must have been a devastating experience.

Convenience wins! The Kenya safaris were either from ships visiting Mombasa or when I had a small fiefdom in Nairobi, or more precisely Karen. An LWB LR was always available.

We now visit SA every couple of years and mainly do the Kruger. We've also done Itala, Mkuse, Hluhluwe, Umfolozi and St Lucia.

In FT days I used the 50-200, usually with the 1.4. A second body had a shorter zoom for for the closer stuff. Now we take three MFT bodies; one with the 100-400; one with the 40-150; and the third with the 12-40. That covers just about every option. I now have the 12-100 so the 12-40 may miss the next trip.

EM1, EM5 II
The Following User Says Thank You to Melaka For This Useful Post:
Gate Keeper (6 Days Ago)
MJ224 (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about the fire. It must have been a devastating experience.

Convenience wins! The Kenya safaris were either from ships visiting Mombasa or when I had a small fiefdom in Nairobi, or more precisely Karen. An LWB LR was always available.

We now visit SA every couple of years and mainly do the Kruger. We've also done Itala, Mkuse, Hluhluwe, Umfolozi and St Lucia.

In FT days I used the 50-200, usually with the 1.4. A second body had a shorter zoom for for the closer stuff. Now we take three MFT bodies; one with the 100-400; one with the 40-150; and the third with the 12-40. That covers just about every option. I now have the 12-100 so the 12-40 may miss the next trip.
Thank you, after the fire, the robbers and the looters came at us. They were after the metal. We had to trap and capture them using armed police and armed security. We had the chance to beat the baddies up but I said, no reprisals.... just lock them up and throw away the key. A learning experience.

Then the Insurance company claimed we were under insured. That was another fight. Eventually we won through. We rebuilt 2 farm houses and replaced the fences and irrigation pipes with 2 miles of everything, razor wire and electric fences, electric gates, armed patrols. The robbers eventually left us alone and we got on with life.

They say these things are supposed to make us stronger.
Some views....

Karen is an upmarket part of Nairobi and popular for the wealthy brits and locals. You lived in a nice part of Town. We have a small herd of Jersey Cows, a small holding with rescued donkeys and a forest in Old Kitisuru north of Nairobi on the outskirts of the city. A new bypass takes us 30-45 minutes to get to Karen. It’s great for not having to drive through the city.

We are currently down at the coast not far from Kilifi, a house on the ocean. It’s open to the elements because of the heat. Last night a large bat with big pointy ears came into the bedroom and didn’t leave until sunrise. We were under the mos nets and we both left each other alone.

I can see the appeal of South Africa with its better roads and how one is able to drink water from the tap You are clearly well travelled and you still have lots more to do.
I look forward to seeing your wildlife photos.

Phil
The Following User Says Thank You to Gate Keeper For This Useful Post:
OM USer (5 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago

That's a most appalling experience. There's not much you can do about wildfires but to have the bandits coming in as well .... but that's Africa.

I never lived in Karen but used to visit annually. I was working for BBC Monitoring (part of World Service) and we had a listening post there. We covered East Africa and the southern parts of Arabia. As part of decolonisation the BBC got the site for the annual rent of a peppercorn.

Years ago I knew a girl whose father was the last European in the Jomo Kenyatta government as Agriculture Minister. He caused a stir when he shot and killed someone breaking into his house on Diani beach.

One of the attractions of safaris in SA is that the roads are good and everything works most of the time. Once, running late into Dundee whilst doing the battlefields, we broke the golden rule of arriving before dark. I was concentrating on the group of bandits at the roadside and completely failed to see the road block. Fortunately the car smashed through without obvious damage though it was a scary moment.

EM1, EM5 II
Old 5 Days Ago

Liked 1,442 Times in 749 Posts

You both lead interesting lives, and have hair raising adventures....

Fortunately Hendy is very peaceful, if not dull...……...

My Flickr
Gate Keeper (4 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago

I've taken good care to arrive before dark ever since!

EM1, EM5 II
Gate Keeper (4 Days Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanked 1,258 Times in 1,202 Posts
Liked 936 Times in 654 Posts

You have caught a very nice pose in #1. Wouldn't mind a safari myself.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Gate Keeper (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
You have caught a very nice pose in #1. Wouldn't mind a safari myself.
Thank you for saying that. We sometimes take visitors from the UK out on safari. The safaris can be basic from camping in tents out in the bush, to staying in a luxury lodge. We do the game drives ourselves, in our air conditioned 4x4 ......and drive where ever we want. Camping in a tent is something most tour operators do not offer, I suppose it’s health and safety. Sleeping on camp beds or in a hammock up a tree at night, doesn’t always appeal and sometimes we like to spoil ourselves.

Here is a lodge we use in Tsavo with views of the animals, the water hole and countryside. We negotiated a rate of £40 per night pp full board Ngutuni Safari Lodge.

A photographer with your gear and skills would be able to take some very nice photos.

Phil
The Following User Says Thank You to Gate Keeper For This Useful Post:
OM USer (1 Week Ago)