Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

View Poll Results: Are you getting fed up with Brexit and should we go back to discussing other things ?
YES - Close the thread 19 48.72%
NO - Keep the debate going on for eternity 20 51.28%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th February 2018

Thanked 1,044 Times in 647 Posts
Liked 1,259 Times in 601 Posts
Exclamation Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

According to rumours… The UK is doomed?

What or who to believe? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business

And then, there is this? https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news...id=mailsignout

Perhaps certain high-lighted links could explain why so called negotiations are not being negotiated?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 14th February 2018

Thanked 1,040 Times in 790 Posts
Liked 4,712 Times in 1,537 Posts
Re: Political: We're doomed, Captain Mannering...

Look at the big picture...

- UK is a small, post industrial nation with severe productivity challenges (skills, infrastructure, capital investment, regional imbalances, ...)

- Europe is one of the world's biggest and richest markets and makes up 50% of our trade.

- Euro currency union probably a mistake

What we want is to be part of the EU and its internal market but not the Euro. Oh, hang on - isn't that what we have now?
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Beagletorque (2nd August 2018), George Dorn (9th September 2018), Graham_of_Rainham (14th February 2018), Greytop (18th February 2018), Internaut (19th August 2018), IPWheatley (14th February 2018), Jim Ford (14th February 2018), KeithL (14th February 2018), mack100 (15th February 2018), MJ224 (12th August 2018), OM USer (15th February 2018), Petrochemist (15th February 2018), snaarman (15th February 2018)
Old 14th February 2018

Liked 1,112 Times in 728 Posts

Spot on Paul, spot on!

Jim
Old 14th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Perhaps certain high-lighted links could explain why so called negotiations are not being negotiated?
Because David 'Thick as Mince' Davis is just strolling around with his hands in his pockets and a smug look on his face!

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
KeithL (14th February 2018)
Old 14th February 2018

Liked 1,996 Times in 1,017 Posts

Am/was not a leaver, but now we are at the leaving point, I think we need to break free of the EU and not be a hanger on,

We, as a country want to be independent, and there are plenty of opportunities out there to make it a success. Gonna be a year or two before it works out tho'.

EU are not being helpful, which is understandable. Why should they??

Lets just get on with it. EU needs us as much as we need them, re exports certainly.

My regret is that we will not have a RIGHT to live there, as they do us.............................

(Not an expert on the matter, but kinda sitting on the fence)

My Flickr
Old 14th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Am/was not a leaver, but now we are at the leaving point, I think we need to break free of the EU and not be a hanger on,

We, as a country want to be independent, and there are plenty of opportunities out there to make it a success. Gonna be a year or two before it works out tho'.

EU are not being helpful, which is understandable. Why should they??

Lets just get on with it. EU needs us as much as we need them, re exports certainly.

My regret is that we will not have a RIGHT to live there, as they do us.............................

(Not an expert on the matter, but kinda sitting on the fence)

We've got much, much more to lose than EU. That's why the "negotiations" are doomed. We'll get screwed no matter what. We need to get this stupid decision reversed. Another referendum or a general election where the EU question is the key agenda item is needed desperately. We're in a complete mess right now and I just don't see any way out.

Theresa May's government is floundering. Massive splits in Tory party. Negotiations nowhere. It's crisis time!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
IPWheatley (22nd February 2018), KeithL (14th February 2018)
Bengeo (15th February 2018), drmarkf (14th February 2018), George Dorn (14th February 2018), Greytop (18th February 2018), jdal (14th February 2018), KeithL (14th February 2018), Otto (14th February 2018)
Old 14th February 2018

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

The biggest single problem with Brexit is the total lack of evaluation of all the diverse aspects that have to be addressed. If we had wanted out, say 35 years ago, it would have been relatively simple. Today it is anything but. The evaluation should have been done BEFORE the referendum; an over-simplistic referendum followed by triggering exit without even thinking about what the issues would be, what it would cost us, etc, etc, was about as incompetent as it could possibly get. Now we are resorting to blind faith and hubris, again without any evaluation of these allegedly wonderful opportunities, history will undoubtedly repeat itself.

I think the upshot will be that we leave without any sort of deal. And I have to say, for the first time in my life, I fear the future.
IPWheatley (22nd February 2018), Jim Ford (14th February 2018), MJ224 (14th February 2018), Petrochemist (15th February 2018)
Old 14th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
The biggest single problem with Brexit is the total lack of evaluation of all the diverse aspects that have to be addressed. If we had wanted out, say 35 years ago, it would have been relatively simple. Today it is anything but. The evaluation should have been done BEFORE the referendum; an over-simplistic referendum followed by triggering exit without even thinking about what the issues would be, what it would cost us, etc, etc, was about as incompetent as it could possibly get. Now we are resorting to blind faith and hubris, again without any evaluation of these allegedly wonderful opportunities, history will undoubtedly repeat itself.

I think the upshot will be that we leave without any sort of deal. And I have to say, for the first time in my life, I fear the future.
Totally agree - that's why we need to get it reversed.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Jim Ford (14th February 2018)
Old 14th February 2018

Quote:
We, as a country want to be independent, and there are plenty of opportunities out there to make it a success.
I believe that Liam Fox is in secret negotiations to export the entire turnip crop of Norfolk to Vanuatu, when we leave!

Jim
pdk42 (14th February 2018)
Old 14th February 2018

Liked 641 Times in 274 Posts

What I don't get is this sovereignty thing which people drone on about.

Large tracts of our industry, services & infrastructure projects are owned by foreign companies, and we are leaking wealth at an alarming rate - look at the ONS Balance Of Payments figures here. Every trade deal you make as a small country with a more powerful one makes this worse.

This is not just about money, it means that our jobs & regional prosperity are at the whim of unelected foreigners. And not EU "bureaucrats" like "The Right Honourable Member for the 19th Century" would have you believe, but Japanese car manufacturers, Indian Steel Companies, Far Eastern banks etc. Where said MP probably has lots of money invested.

Sovereignty? Don't make me laugh.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdal For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (14th February 2018), KeithL (15th February 2018)
George Dorn (14th February 2018), Jim Ford (14th February 2018), KeithL (15th February 2018), Otto (14th February 2018), pdk42 (14th February 2018)
Old 14th February 2018

Liked 1,996 Times in 1,017 Posts

ye but...............

We do have professions that work well here. I am not an original Brexiter, but now the cast is set, altho on a tricky count, I don't see a way back. EU would insist we do the Euro bit, which ^^cks up many local economics. Look at Greece.

Its a bloody mess I agree, but lets get on with the process.............

We do have to be focused, don't care bout customs union, we need to be free...........

Eventually we will e good. (may take a few years tho...)

My Flickr
Old 14th February 2018

Liked 420 Times in 297 Posts

It is not so depressing if you do not have the future of any descendants to worry about.
Old 14th February 2018

Liked 1,016 Times in 502 Posts

I might be in the minority on this thread I voted to leave and the sooner we get out the better.

If the EU is such a great place why do they want to punish anyone who wants to leave ?

It is becoming clearer every day that all they want is our money.

The original Common Market we signed up to in 1974 was a good idea and still could be. But the EU as it as now become is a failing entity. It is simply a protection racket for inefficient corporate businesses. It puts up barriers against competition rather than encouraging innovation. People talk as if all trade with EU countries will stop when we leave. It won't business will continue despite the politicians.

The rest of the world is growing much faster than the EU and so its share of global GDP is shrinking. We should be doing trade deals with the areas that are growing not shackled to support those in decline.

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to wornish For This Useful Post:
Old 14th February 2018

Quote:
EU would insist we do the Euro bit, which ^^cks up many local economics. Look at Greece.
Isn't the problem with Greece is that they borrowed a lot of money for profligate spending and they don't want to pay it back?

I read some time ago that they have more tanks than either the U.K. or France - and they're 'top of the range' German Leopards. I don't know what they're going to do with them - isn't Greece mountainous and not really tank country?

Jim
KeithL (15th February 2018)
Old 14th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
If the EU is such a great place why do they want to punish anyone who wants to leave ?

It is becoming clearer every day that all they want is our money.
Money that we had committed to! It's been stated that it's like a large group of people going to a pub to drink, and one of them wanting to leave when it's their turn to buy a round.

Jim