Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work

Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work This board concentrates on topics that explore the potential of your photography being seen by a wider audience and even earning you some money.

Old 27th August 2011

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts
Smile Re: A saga turning into a farce?

Peter,
Don't lose heart we are all in the same boat and it is my considered opinion that the economic climate has the biggest effect on sales.

Up until this year we used to do very well at craft fairs. We did even better at high end 'Art Fairs'. This year? Might as well have stayed at home for some of them. The observations my wife and I have made goes something like this.
At most of the village/small craft fairs there are often at least five other 'photographers' trying to sell their wares.
However at the high end of the market there seems to be an almost reverse trend. Less footfall certainly but sales seem quite buoyant.
At a recent 'invite only' art fair run by a large Scottish insurance company we sold eight 20 x 16 ins prints in one hour and forty minutes.

Then last week end we went to a small (read miniscule) local village gala and
sold nearly all the stock. The reason A coach load of 52 American tourists came by called in and stripped the place.

Keep at it. The good times will come. There is nothing wrong with your work from what I can see. Thesehard times will kill off the bottom feeders and thise with resove and determination will survive and go on to do well.

Trust me I'm a photographer!
Old 29th August 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: A saga turning into a farce?

John I am sorry to hear of your project and wish you more sales - I would not bother with more - do check out your local Council and Business Development plans - Many store have "Christmas NOW in August" to be first in; Many stores are absolutely DREADING this Christmas ... from the Internet and the Economic decline "Order on line and collect in store" means Peeps like House of Fraser are getting the Punters in and they spend a little bit more ... but thats hard graft for a pittance ... more and more stores are going Internet and not high street - and shows are losing Exhibitors ! Check the Exhibitors lists before you book and monthly thereafter ... many are cancelling - too many Peeps are not going out to where "they may spend money" .

Nick and I take Cash NO CARDS and often dont bother spending the cash - as we can do without/dont really need it ! (Except my Wolf Outdoor coat; and two furry fleeces I fell in love with ...but they will last for years keeping me warm & dry!)

Worse are e-cards ! and "de-cluttering" and "minimalist living styles"

Peeps are interested in themselves and their children/pets/possessions (motorbikes ) ... so portraits at shows are a good source of funds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
... the cards go for 1.99 each or 6 for a tenner.

I did pick up a wedding from one of them I did though, that was a bonus.
I like Pete's idea, you often used to see artists working during slack periods. A camera linked to a laptop to show the item being shot.

Having said all that, I did a talk at a local church group last year, just holding prints and talking about how I got the pic, nothing technical, and I sold 2 prints for 20 each the first time. Next time I took some cards as well and sold quite a few, not sure how many.
I have similar experiences and prices - rather sell 6 for 10 and buyers want a free one/bargain and it eliminates the "I am not sure which 3 to have" !

With Churches I see it as "Relationship Marketing" I specifically take nice shots of our churches and around the villages to sell as Christmas Cards - giving the Church itself 100 free (each has my name/contact details sticker on the back) so its Marketing for more sales, this year and next year. I even have Peeps asking me for some more of last of two years ago - now thats publishing profits (do it once & sell many times, each time profit is greater) !

I even let the Parish website use some photos on their websites with credit/contact details.

By my front door I have a large "garden seat cushions box" with boxes of cards for those dropping by when we are out to select their purchase and a trusty box for the money! - if we are home (and we work from home/retired) we often welcome and sit in the garden chatting with some of the "buyers" furthering the relationship and marketing !

No Pitch costs; No fuel costs; No Saturday or Sunday stuck at a show with little potential in sales

Yes it can be a bind "Peeps knocking at your door" begging to buy BUT Hey best that than ...
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 29th August 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post
Peter,
Don't lose heart we are all in the same boat and it is my considered opinion that the economic climate has the biggest effect on sales.

Up until this year we used to do very well at craft fairs. We did even better at high end 'Art Fairs'. This year? Might as well have stayed at home for some of them. The observations my wife and I have made goes something like this.
At most of the village/small craft fairs there are often at least five other 'photographers' trying to sell their wares.
However at the high end of the market there seems to be an almost reverse trend. Less footfall certainly but sales seem quite buoyant.
At a recent 'invite only' art fair run by a large Scottish insurance company we sold eight 20 x 16 ins prints in one hour and forty minutes.

Then last week end we went to a small (read miniscule) local village gala and
sold nearly all the stock. The reason A coach load of 52 American tourists came by called in and stripped the place.

Keep at it. The good times will come. There is nothing wrong with your work from what I can see. Thesehard times will kill off the bottom feeders and thise with resove and determination will survive and go on to do well.

Trust me I'm a photographer!

I could not agree with you MORE ! We were invited to an Art Ex and one of the Artists sold a picture for 29,000 and another for 14,000 - but the lower price items which usually sell in "shed loads" did not

Peeps are still buying 750 1m x 1m shots of them or their family from Venture Portraits !

the ONE photo album
Old 29th August 2011

Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,256 Posts
Liked 2,203 Times in 1,052 Posts

Chevvy what/who are Peeps?
Old 29th August 2011

Peeps is short for People ! aka the public/punters !

the ONE photo album
Old 29th August 2011

Thanked 1,361 Times in 1,256 Posts
Liked 2,203 Times in 1,052 Posts

Ah should have guessed - must go and get more coffee, or maybe time for something stronger after all it's a bank holiday
Old 29th August 2011
davidsa

Smile Re: A saga turning into a farce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Peeps is short for People ! aka the public/punters !
Chevvy:

Saves just one letter!
Old 4th September 2011

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

Thanks for the insight into your craft fair/fete experience.

I'm still working out which way to go once I have the necessary skill to produce the images that I think are good enough.

It seems to me that the trick is to get your work seen by someone who is likely to part with a significant amount of cash for it, I'm not sure local fairs etc are the best plce for that given teh time and expense involved.

The other downside is the cost of production, stock = money spent with no gaurantee of a return.

Here's an idea I'm thinking of and welcome any thoughts (I haven't got past the idea stage yet).

Get an enahced CRB check (such as thoise required for scout leaders etc. about 70)
Approach local junior football/cricket/hockey club
Offer to attend several games in the capacity of official photographer
Take lots of images aiming for at least one good action shot of every member of the squad
Attend clubs annual awards night with laptop and maybe 3-4 excellent prints as samples
Take orders from the proud parents who view the images fo their kids on laptop
Not sure of pricing yet, somewhere around 15 for an unframed 8x6 with 5 commission to club funds for every order.
Larger prints, canvas etc at higher prices.

A friend of mine who's kids are sporty reckons thare was a guy who attended his lad's club occassionally and probably took 20-30 orders each time.

A variation would be to attend a tournament where there may be 10-20 local teams present on the day, displaying the images on a web page accessed by a password given to the club secrataries and taking orders via paypal, atgain with a commission to the club.

There are always child protection issues but with the relevant checks in place and commssion for the clubs who are always short of cash this seems like a good potential earner.
Old 4th September 2011

Liked 912 Times in 352 Posts

Not sure an individual can get a CRB check done, I think they can be done from Scotland but not England. You need a body, Scouts, Church or School for EG to do it on your behalf.
Old 4th September 2011

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

ah first fly in the ointment then, The FA, local cricket bodies must ahve processes in place to cvover this though I'm guessing
Old 4th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Not sure an individual can get a CRB check done, I think they can be done from Scotland but not England. You need a body, Scouts, Church or School for EG to do it on your behalf.
Or assist a Childminder; live in a Childminder's house who HAS to get OFSTED to do a CRB check (for FREE) on everyone living or often in the house !
(you could volunteer to work in a Day Nursery and get a free CRB check; or drive a tax as these also have CRB's but I think you have to pay 65 or so ?)

the ONE photo album
Old 4th September 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,124 Times in 2,434 Posts
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,084 Posts

Might pay to canvass a few local clubs in the first instance, to see if there is a demand and, if there is, hopefully persuade one of them to apply for a CRB check at your expense. Would there also be a demand for photographing more senior teams where CRB is not an issue? Players might like pictures of themselves in action, particularly if it is scoring a goal or hitting a six!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponner View Post
Thanks for the insight into your craft fair/fete experience.

I'm still working out which way to go once I have the necessary skill to produce the images that I think are good enough.

It seems to me that the trick is to get your work seen by someone who is likely to part with a significant amount of cash for it, I'm not sure local fairs etc are the best plce for that given teh time and expense involved.

The other downside is the cost of production, stock = money spent with no gaurantee of a return.

Here's an idea I'm thinking of and welcome any thoughts (I haven't got past the idea stage yet).

Get an enahced CRB check (such as thoise required for scout leaders etc. about 70)
Approach local junior football/cricket/hockey club
Offer to attend several games in the capacity of official photographer
Take lots of images aiming for at least one good action shot of every member of the squad
Attend clubs annual awards night with laptop and maybe 3-4 excellent prints as samples
Take orders from the proud parents who view the images fo their kids on laptop
Not sure of pricing yet, somewhere around 15 for an unframed 8x6 with 5 commission to club funds for every order.
Larger prints, canvas etc at higher prices.

A friend of mine who's kids are sporty reckons thare was a guy who attended his lad's club occassionally and probably took 20-30 orders each time.

A variation would be to attend a tournament where there may be 10-20 local teams present on the day, displaying the images on a web page accessed by a password given to the club secrataries and taking orders via paypal, atgain with a commission to the club.

There are always child protection issues but with the relevant checks in place and commssion for the clubs who are always short of cash this seems like a good potential earner.
Sorry I meant to say "these are great ideas!" with little up front costs apart from time I wish you the best of success with this !

the ONE photo album