Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 4th November 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts
Re: EM1 WiFi Controller App

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Thanks guys, but now I am thoroughly confused. Give me time to digest this info:-)
If you are connected to the internet via WiFi it is usually free either via your home broadband or a free WiFi service in shops and restaurants etc. (found out this week you can get free WiFi on Essex First Bus ).

If you are connected to the internet via your mobile phone network you will incur charges for data usage.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
sapper (4th November 2017)
Old 4th November 2017

Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts

Maybe a picture will help. Your home network looks something like this (from https://www.lifewire.com/home-networ...rams-4064053):

Devices on your home network connect to your wireless router via an Ethernet cable or WiFi. The router passes requests for web pages, email etc. via the broadband modem (ADSL or cable). The router remembers the requests made by each device and routes the various responses back to the requesting device. That's how you can have different computers in your house looking at different websites. If you don't have a WiFi or Ethernet connection, you're using you mobile provider's data network to access the internet (and using your data allowance).

When you connect to your camera, it takes the role of the wireless router but only two devices are allowed to connect. The camera and your smart phone. There is no broadband modem connected to the router, so no internet access. The phones I've used assume a WiFi connection means internet access so they make no effort to use the mobile data network so you cannot access the web, email etc. while connected to your camera.
Old 4th November 2017

Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,004 Posts
Liked 1,156 Times in 760 Posts

Yes when linked to the camera you are using the network containing your app and the camera. The internet is not required you log on to the camera named WiFi connection.
I usually find I have to disable normal internet WiFi connections as they can have a stronger signal than the camera WiFi connection.

Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?