Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 22nd February 2010

Liked 64 Times in 36 Posts
E-System Mirrorless?

Olympus E system mirrorless in two years. Probably

Flickr
Old 22nd February 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: E-System Mirrorless?

Makes sense. Probably.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 22nd February 2010

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

just the 2 sweeping statements in that -

1. the EVF experience of the Pen's is already as good as the OVF of the E's (implied e3) - oh really???

2. the CDAF system will v shortly be as good as that in the E system (implied E30/E3) - I look forward to it!

Oh and I do wish that people who are purporting to be the expert don't make silly gaffs such as referring to 'the Micro Four Thirds sensor' - it's a four thirds sensor.
Old 22nd February 2010
ndl0071

Well speaking for myself, I really don't want my E3/E5/E7!! to 'shrink' it's just the right size for me to operate, these stories do make me wonder at what point to jump ship, I'm very happy with the way things are..

Thanks for posting the link.
Old 22nd February 2010

Liked 1,268 Times in 491 Posts

I design digital cameras for industry and it has always puzzled me why we still have the two curtain mechanical shutter. Most Cmos sensors incorporate a rolling electronic shutter (like a focal plane shutter) and some incorporate a global shutter (like a lens shutter)...

Remove the mirror and the shutter and you get yourself a silent camera - at last.

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 22nd February 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Is there anyone else reading this who feels that they've missed the last week in February and all of March.

This sort of announcement (after dinner speculation?) should only be made after Olympus has proved, to photographers satisfaction, that AF and evf actually surpass that of a conventional dslr. Not whilst such a contention remains clearly disputable.

I anticipate some 'damage limitation' from Olympus.

That said I agree the inevitably of the move, and its desirability if the technology advances sufficiently. But for the next two years I do not want to spend my money relying on an unproven hope that the newer technology will mature sufficiently before I am left stranded.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 24th February 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I think we all can relax.

Though congratutalions are due to this regional sales manager and the lunch he enjoyed.

If Olympus had anything serious to say then we would be seeing it in the proper channels.

Business as normal

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 24th February 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,066 Times in 2,384 Posts
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Is there anyone else reading this who feels that they've missed the last week in February and all of March.

This sort of announcement (after dinner speculation?) should only be made after Olympus has proved, to photographers satisfaction, that AF and evf actually surpass that of a conventional dslr. Not whilst such a contention remains clearly disputable.

I anticipate some 'damage limitation' from Olympus.

That said I agree the inevitably of the move, and its desirability if the technology advances sufficiently. But for the next two years I do not want to spend my money relying on an unproven hope that the newer technology will mature sufficiently before I am left stranded.
Nick
I don't expect to have much to spend on camera equipment over the next two years, it's a case of make do with what I've already got. Which is actually a high quality and comprehensive system that meets all my forseeable needs.

Maybe that's why I am able to be so sanguine about this revelation.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau