Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 25th June 2016
Grumpy Member

Liked 526 Times in 246 Posts
New Mirrorless

By way of trying to balance my outpourings of despondency and anger elsewhere in the Lounge I thought this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36598977 is rather telling.

I was discussing mirrorless cameras with some DSLR users I recently met, who's first question was am I Canon or Nikon, and said to them why would you not what the advantages of mirrorless. They did not have an answer other than the implication that they are not real camera's! Perhaps this will help them think again.

Hec
Old 25th June 2016

Liked 3,291 Times in 1,268 Posts
Re: New Mirrorless

Saved a bit of room for the mirror box, but the lenses are still massive!
Old 26th June 2016

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
By way of trying to balance my outpourings of despondency and anger elsewhere in the Lounge I thought this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36598977 is rather telling.

I was discussing mirrorless cameras with some DSLR users I recently met, who's first question was am I Canon or Nikon, and said to them why would you not what the advantages of mirrorless. They did not have an answer other than the implication that they are not real camera's! Perhaps this will help them think again.

Hec
At the moment DSLRs have far superior CAF which for some people is very important and is the one reason I still have Canon gear as well as my Olly gear. This advantage will no doubt be eroded to the point where it is insignificant at which point I will be happy to go completely mirror-less but not until. DSL CAF is still improving too so it is a moving target for mirror-less cameras.
Old 26th June 2016

Liked 284 Times in 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post
Saved a bit of room for the mirror box, but the lenses are still massive!
The lenses are NOT massive considering the size of the sensor, this system will naturally not be for the 'masses' and neither is that it's target market. It has been designed to turn the world of medium format digital 'on it's head' and put Hasselblad at the front of MF photography again, that I am certain it will.

I used to own a 39MP Hasselblad H3DII, and while the detail captured was simply 'breathtaking' , its 4/3 sensor being EIGHT times larger than M4/3, it was rather heavy for lugging up a mountain. For a MF format 'landscape' photographer this camera may well prove to be a revelation.

Kind regards, Simon