Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Motion pictures - video and animation > Movie mode - technical discussions

Movie mode - technical discussions Still imaging is complicated enough but for most of us video and movie making is a whole new world to get to grips with - here is the place to request help and advice and to post it too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th April 2016

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Audio Hiss EM-5 MK2 - Gain control?

Hi,

I've got a new RODE VideoMicro microphone, a lapel mic, and, of course, the in-built mic.

In a quiet room, with no ambient noise, all combinations of microphones and levels result in a very audible hissing sound that is very off-putting. I doubt it's the microphones, as they are all different.

"Gain" would appear to be an issue, but how to set this on the E-M5 MK2?

It appears impossible to turn off the internal camera Mic without also turning off the external mic.

Disclosure: No time yet to do real world test. I spent a few hours today checking the range and sound field of the Rode, but all recordings have hissing.

In fairness, although less so, the Rode and Lapel mike have some noise in the iPhone recording app.

Am I worrying too much? It's just that there's a 7-day return on the Rode for a refund.

Any pointers to, specifically, the Olympus E-M5 MK2 would be appreciated.

David.
If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.

Tags
em5 mk2, recording, rode video micro, video