Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 1st February 2011

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,337 Posts
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,572 Posts
Freedom is a Harley ... (says my daughter!)

My daughter and her guy set out yesterday on their bikes for a 3 day getaway from Wangaratta to Canberra.
They are magnificent machines and I understand the exhilaration they must feel but I worry like hell every minute that they're away.

Old 1st February 2011

Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
Re: Freedom is a Harley ... (says my daughter!)

When I was an apprentice we had Triumphs, BSAs, Nortons, Velocettes, Vincents etc.. If anyone turned turned up on an old camel like a Harley, we'd all fall about laughing!

I still think that Harley Davidson 'don't get' motorcycles, but I guess with the pretty paintwork and all those shiny bits, some people find them difficult to resist!

Jim
Old 1st February 2011

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,337 Posts
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,572 Posts

I'm no motorcycle buff and I know nothing about them aside from them being a popular means of suicide.

I freak out every time I hear that deep crackling boom as her she starts her motor.
Old 1st February 2011

Liked 629 Times in 435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
When I was an apprentice we had Triumphs, BSAs, Nortons, Velocettes, Vincents etc..
Bet you never got your hands on a Vincent Black Lightning 1952 -

Ciao - Crusty John
Old 1st February 2011

Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Bet you never got your hands on a Vincent Black Lightning 1952
My last bike was a 1954 Vincent Black Prince, which was a Black Shadow with the Black Knight style enclosures. This was in the late 60's. The previous owner had removed the legshield/engine enclosures and front mudguard and put a 'dustbin' fairing on. It really looked the business, but I took the dustbin fairing off because it was unstable in side winds and unbearably hot in the summer. So it ended up with just the rear enclosure.

I didn't really like the machine - the company had started to cut corners and skimp in their last year. The 'girdraulic' forks and engine were also worn and really needed major refurbishment, though I'd put a Lightning camshaft in to improve performance (didn't notice much difference - just noisier because of the lack of quietening ramps!).

I sold it for 55. I saw one advertised last year for over 30,000!

Best bike I ever owned was a 1929 Scott Flying Squirrel. It was an interesting design and well made. I've been fretting over getting another Scott recently!

Jim
Old 1st February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
When I was an apprentice we had Triumphs, BSAs, Nortons, Velocettes, Vincents etc.. If anyone turned turned up on an old camel like a Harley, we'd all fall about laughing!

I still think that Harley Davidson 'don't get' motorcycles, but I guess with the pretty paintwork and all those shiny bits, some people find them difficult to resist!

Jim
I think it fairer to say some motorcyclists dont get Harleys. Anything that has been around as long and sold as many must have some good points. I ride all year so anything that rusts when it sees a puddle is no good to me. So on winter its my Yam and in summer my newish BMW (oh god Ive joined the old boys club) oh and nice pic by the way.