Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 22nd November 2017

Liked 1,492 Times in 904 Posts
Re: Going to Japan, help surviving Shinjuku Stn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Well I ... just got by 'back up' Pen-F, had a great 'Black Friday' deal at Harrison's on a mint S/H black one and I am sure it will pair nicely with the silver one I have. I'm tempted to just take two primes, the 12mm F2 and 25mm F1.8, one on each body .... shoot & move on.

Time to start learning some Japanese I guess

Simon
Simon please stop this Pen F stuff, gets me longing for one.

It would have been a winner for sure if Olympus had designed the digi Pen f along the lines of the grand daddy; portrait would be a must with the same sensor proportions of the 'single frame'. Oh and introduce some light leaks here and there, and no LCD.

on flickr
Old 22nd November 2017

Liked 282 Times in 179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Simon please stop this Pen F stuff, gets me longing for one.
What, surely not digital Steve
Old 22nd November 2017

Quote:
and no LCD.
Ahh, but that's where my 'real retro fix' comes into play. I keep the screen facing inwards, no chimping here I'll have you know ..... shoot & move on

I've only used the screen when setting the camera up or on the odd occasion someone wants to see a shot I've taken
Old 22nd November 2017

Liked 1,492 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
What, surely not digital Steve
Surely not Simon, I've waisted far too much on digital as it is. As a friend of mine said, photography is a journey... a journey of discovery. Hit the nail square on!

on flickr
Old 23rd November 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Well I just booked the flights, so it's all systems go, 11 months and counting.

Hotels are sorted and I just got by 'back up' Pen-F, had a great 'Black Friday' deal at Harrison's on a mint S/H black one and I am sure it will pair nicely with the silver one I have. I'm tempted to just take two primes, the 12mm F2 and 25mm F1.8, one on each body .... shoot & move on.

Time to start learning some Japanese I guess

Simon
Anata wa nihongo o hanimasen ka?...as the bishop said to the actress..........
Old 23rd November 2017

Quote:
Surely not Simon, I've waisted far too much on digital as it is.
Same here Steve, though I admit to being smitten with the digital Pen-F. I have promised myself to stick with them for years to come and keep my surplus pennies for film for my Leica and Nikon

Simon
Old 23rd November 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Anata wa nihongo o hanimasen ka?...as the bishop said to the actress..........

No, but hopefully will string some sentences together without 'getting myself into a lot of bother'

Simon
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Eleven months have 'flown', just ten days to go and my wife and I will be on our way

Travelling 'light' , leaving the two Nikon F6 and all the rolls of film at home, going to give my two Pen-F some much needed attention instead, they have been rather neglected of late.

One very small satchel, the excellent 'Tenba Cooper 8' holding two bodies with lenses attached. Either 12 f2 & 25 f1.8 or 17 f1.8 & 45 f1.8 , cannot decide yet but I know I'm only taking two lenses as I don't want to carry a third/fourth in my pocket plus the restriction of using just two prime lenses is a challenge that I'm looking forward to.

The 17mm is a classic 'street' focal length but as Tokyo in particular is so crowded I'm leaning towards the 12mm with the 25mm as my portrait option. I'm interested to hear which pair you would go with.

BTW, apologies for not being on here for some time, I'm quite shocked to see that prior to this post my last login was 26th July .... The F6 's have been getting a lot of use but now it's the turn of the mighty little Pens

Kind regards, Simon
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,281 Times in 1,252 Posts

Quote:
BTW, apologies for not being on here for some time, I'm quite shocked to see that prior to this post my last login was 26th July .... The F6 's have been getting a lot of use but now it's the turn of the mighty little Pens
Photography getting in the way of contributing to the Lounge? Unheard of! Disgraceful!

Harold
Simon Bee (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,268 Posts
Liked 1,098 Times in 750 Posts

Only 16 platforms - piece of cake. Clapham Junction has 17. Have a good time.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Simon Bee (4 Weeks Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Simon Bee (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Photography getting in the way of contributing to the Lounge? Unheard of! Disgraceful!

Harold
Nice one Harold

Actually I haven't been on 'the forum' since 26th July .... and 'thats' disgraceful

Cheers, Simon
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Only 16 platforms - piece of cake. Clapham Junction has 17. Have a good time.
Thanks, I'm starting to look forward to it now. I haven't taken a 'two week' break out of my shop since 2010 and never three weeks as will be the case this time. It's been a logistical nightmare ensuring that everything will 'hopefully' run smoothly while I'm away ...... plans, back-up plans, and then 'back-up back-up' plans .... you get the idea.

Staff all have their duties and know them but I'still taking a new SIM in my phone , this has been ten years in the planning and saving, I work on average 65 hours a week so surely deserve a few weeks of peace

Cheers, Simon
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 2,979 Times in 2,316 Posts
Liked 3,965 Times in 1,870 Posts

Thread moved to Foto Fair, as requested by Simon in anticipation of posting pictures of this exciting trip. I wish I was going!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Thread moved to Foto Fair, as requested by Simon in anticipation of posting pictures of this exciting trip. I wish I was going!
Thank you John, much appreciated.

Kind regards, Simon.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 261 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
One very small satchel, the excellent 'Tenba Cooper 8' holding two bodies with lenses attached. Either 12 f2 & 25 f1.8 or 17 f1.8 & 45 f1.8 , cannot decide yet but I know I'm only taking two lenses as I don't want to carry a third/fourth in my pocket plus the restriction of using just two prime lenses is a challenge that I'm looking forward to.

The 17mm is a classic 'street' focal length but as Tokyo in particular is so crowded I'm leaning towards the 12mm with the 25mm as my portrait option. I'm interested to hear which pair you would go with.

Hi Simon,

We went to Japan at Easter - Osaka>Kyoto>Hiroshima>Tokyo in two weeks.
It was an amazing and confusing place but absolutely brilliant.

Tokyo is crazy busy but also amazing. Kyoto is much calmer but when you arrive in the main station with it's multiple levels and thousands of people you'll be hard pressed to believe its quieter

Getting around was actually quite straightfoward. We accepted the 5 a day O2 surcharge for using our phone data in Japan and with Google Maps and Google most things went OK.
Google Translate text to text was only of limited use but the Camera translation and the speech to speech conversation worked and saved us in a couple of off the beaten track moments.
I'd strongly recommend the app.

If you don't use a contract phone that lets you use data for a flat fee then there are portable "hot spots" that you can hire to collect at the airport or delivered to your hotel that let you carry on using a smartphone on a local prepaid plan. The hotspot connects to the local 3G or 4G network and links to your phone using a WiFi connection.
Having some form of internet access out and about is strongly recommended. Google has a good understanding of Japanese public transport and got us to places and home again when we were pretty confused. Some stations have local, national and subway platforms operated by different companies which are colour coded but they overlap colours! Google showed us the way.

In terms of photography I mainly stuck to the EZ pancake 14-42mm during the day interspersed with the 17mm f1.8 and just the 17mm in the evenings.

I took my Panasonic 25mm f1.7 but it didn't get a lot of use. I also took the cheap Olympus 40-150 which came out at the Tokyo Government Observation Deck and the Kyoto Tower but not much anywhere else.
Finally I had the 9mm Fisheye body cap which I'd just picked up and used more than I expected.

These are the pictures I took.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeJSk4s

Strictly limiting to what you have I'd be tempted to go 12 and 25 or even 12 and 45.

Given the cost of the trip I'd consider picking up a used 14-42mm EZ pancake zoom and taking one prime but if you're determined to stick with primes I understand.

Also on a photography related note... there is a chain of shops called Loft who have a surprisingly large array of reconditioned vintage lenses for sale and Polaroid cameras (if you have deep pockets) and masses of unusual straps, bags, one use cameras, vintage SLRs and modern Instax cameras and film. I was quite tempted by the Instax

It was a surprise as they also sold pots and pans and homewares.

Just North of Kyoto Tower which is just North of Kyoto Rail Station is Yodobashi Camera Multimedia. I have never seen so many floors of electronics and cameras in my life.

If you're tempted to spend then read up on the rules about Tax Free shopping before you go. You have to make sure the shop participate and they will fix the receipt into your passport and stamp across the edge. I was put off because the goods are supposed to be exported unused and the exchange rate wasn't particularly great.
We discovered when we flew out from Tokyo that there was no one on the Tax desk and no one checked the receipts in our passport so I could probably have walked out without a problem.
You'd then obviously be expected to declare the items in the UK but again nothing was checked when we got back.

Enjoy Japan. The food was amazing, the people were lovely and we saw some amazing things.
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (2 Weeks Ago)