Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 4th July 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,118 Times in 917 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts
Lensbaby

Anyone had experience with these on 4/3 or m4/3?
I ask because yesterday at work I was helping the BBC make a documentary in our "Big Hoose" with Neil Oliver, and the stills man (who had a Pentax DSLR) dug in his bag and passed a Lensbaby to the video cameraman, who promptly mounted it on his camera. He did quite a few takes with it. Up to now I haven't considered these as I've though them too gimmicky, but I've started wondering if they can have a more serious application, and just what. I'd love to see some "straight" shots with this lens.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 4th July 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,381 Times in 810 Posts
Question Re: Lensbaby

I too am completely baffled by these things and have considered "Hireing" one from ebay just to see what I can do with it, or knocking up something out of an old motorcycle shocker sleve and a disposable camera lens.

I also keep thinking that someone is "avin a laff" because if you look in their gallery http://www.lensbaby.com/gallery-photo.php the images are for me "artistic" with a very small "a"...

SO:

Yes, please enlighten me as well

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 4th July 2009
Archphoto

Re: Lensbaby

OK, here we go: Lens Baby Composer with double glass optic, curved field focus, they don't have a flat field focus, otherwise it could be a very usable lens la Imagon.

Suited for animals and some portraits, but not for buildings or pitoresque towns... it gives a bit of LSD feel to it. (I never tried LSD myself)

The two shots of the building on the next block are with diferent apaertures.

Peter
Old 4th July 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,979 Times in 2,316 Posts
Liked 3,965 Times in 1,870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Anyone had experience with these on 4/3 or m4/3?
I ask because yesterday at work I was helping the BBC make a documentary in our "Big Hoose" with Neil Oliver, and the stills man (who had a Pentax DSLR) dug in his bag and passed a Lensbaby to the video cameraman, who promptly mounted it on his camera. He did quite a few takes with it. Up to now I haven't considered these as I've though them too gimmicky, but I've started wondering if they can have a more serious application, and just what. I'd love to see some "straight" shots with this lens.
At least it wasn't a Canon!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th July 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,979 Times in 2,316 Posts
Liked 3,965 Times in 1,870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I too am completely baffled by these things and have considered "Hireing" one from ebay just to see what I can do with it, or knocking up something out of an old motorcycle shocker sleve and a disposable camera lens.
I also keep thinking that someone is "avin a laff" because if you look in their gallery http://www.lensbaby.com/gallery-photo.php the images are for me "artistic" with a very small "a"...

SO:

Yes, please enlighten me as well
Why not just buy an adapter to fit a Nikon lens?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th July 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Like the cat's effect. Just doesn't work with the buildings for me!

My Flickr site
Old 7th July 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a Lensbaby 2 for a short time and didn't get on with it. The FL of 50mm of course gives an EFL of 100mm and only uses part of the image circle on 4/3rds, so much of the effect is lost IMHO.

I also found it nearly impossible to use without a third hand as the bellows had to be held in position while simultaneously holding the camera and operating the controls, but I think some of the newer models can be locked in position (which also makes for repeatable shots).

As I'd "hired" it from Fleabay, it didn't cost me anything in the long run, however!
Old 7th July 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanks all - I think it's gone on the list of things not to buy

My Flickr site
Old 18th March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I noticed that there is quite a lot of tilt effect being used in BBC2's "Inside John Lewis"... but having read Stephen's post above I wonder if it was the same production crew and they are using a Lensbaby-like optic.

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP