Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 23rd February 2010

Liked 967 Times in 380 Posts
repair saga

I thought I would start a repair saga, maybe it will be a tale of joy, who knows? Anyway, it starts badly.

I sent a lens off last week special insured guaranteed next day expensive Post Office delivery. They give you a barcode so you can track it. I have tried this bar code tracking thing on line for 5 days and it has no report of delivery. I wonder if it works at all, to be honest.

I emailed Oly southend. Apparently, they collect stuff from the GPO, rather than the GPO delivering it, so it would only get picked up when they go looking. I expect this means that the barcode won't get logged until it has been collected by Oly and signed for. Next they gather a shipment of items for repair and send them off to Portugal. They in turn will book them into their system - something that can take a few days.

So - bare minimum from posting it to having appear on the Oly Portugal system is 1 week. Quite possibly 2 weeks if you miss a critical shipment I imagine.

They then *post* the estimate to you (!) I gave them email, mobile phone numbers etc... but post. Hmm.
Good thing I have other lenses.

Will keep you informed...

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 23rd February 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: repair saga

I tried to make a complaint to the ASA about the Royal Mail advertising a "tracking" service when in fact its a proof of delivery service. If it doesn't get delivered you can't track it!!

The ASA made it so difficult that I just gave up
Old 23rd February 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Strange! When I use Special D it shows if a package has been collected from the local post office, is out for delivery, delivery has been attempted unsuccessfully, or is delivered. Never any problems.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd February 2010

Liked 431 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Strange! When I use Special D it shows if a package has been collected from the local post office, is out for delivery, delivery has been attempted unsuccessfully, or is delivered. Never any problems.
Same here, and on occasions when it hasn't tracked properly i have rung the number on the tracking site and they can tell you where it is, they have more info than what we see online.

Paul
Old 23rd February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
i have rung the number on the tracking site and they can tell you where it is, they have more info than what we see online.

Paul
Hmm

I tried that. Firstly the recorded message recommends you use the web "www dot postoffice dot co dot uk slash track and trace" - just for a laugh I tried various ways of entering the spoken url, but none of them exist. You can Google it pretty quickly anyway.

The spoken instructions tell to to look for your "reference number" on your receipt. In fact on the receipt it is referred to as the "barcode number" - which could confuse some people I guess.

However I persisted with the voice operated system and read in the barcode into the system, yes it got the number right and no, its not able to help.

Maybe I will get a nice letter from Portugal before the post office admit it has been delivered :-)

Pete

Old 23rd February 2010

You have to go through all that rigmarole but eventually there is an option to speak to someone and they are usually helpful and can tell you more than the automated system does.

Paul
Old 23rd February 2010

Liked 130 Times in 67 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

We used tracking for a package sent to the USA. It toook ages to get to the recipient and apparently was only tracked to the US border, not the recipient.

EM1, EM5 II
Old 24th February 2010

Liked 43 Times in 20 Posts

Just wait for the return package! Olympus repair us DHL. When my E-3 was returned I got a knock at the door, (we have parcel for you) handed me the parcel and walked off just as he got the van he said (what name is it) and processed to sign my name! I could have said I didn't recieve it not my signature.
When the delivered back a lens it took them 4 days I waited in two days they didn't turn up.

Regarding sending repairs to Olympus, if you call them they will send you dedicated packaging and DHL will collect it.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
Old 24th February 2010

Liked 39 Times in 30 Posts

Well, at least I got mine back yesterday, It seems fine and was repaired f.o.c. under gaurantee!
Old 25th February 2010

Progress! A letter from Olympus with a repair quote. So, they must have got the lens: The Royal Mail still have no knowledge of the delivery.

I didn't realise Olympus repairs depend so much on post. However, post item to estimate just less than a week. Not too bad.

You post the lens to them.
They post it to Portugal.
Southend on Sea posts you an estimate (oooh - does that mean Oly Portugal actually uses email???)
You post a cheque to Olympus.
(I suppost they post your cheque to the bank?)
Someone posts your lens back to you.

Keep you all informed

:-)

Pete

Old 25th February 2010

Liked 334 Times in 139 Posts

Thanks Pete - I would like to be kept posted about the outcome.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 26th February 2010

Update: Yes - Olympus repair take credit cards, so that should save a couple of days :-)

Pete

PS, if you reply by post with the rear off strip - be careful which box you tick.:-)
1 - Repair it - I enclose payment
2 - Please return it un-repaired
3 - Please dispose of it in the dustbin for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Progress! A letter from Olympus with a repair quote. So, they must have got the lens: The Royal Mail still have no knowledge of the delivery.

I didn't realise Olympus repairs depend so much on post. However, post item to estimate just less than a week. Not too bad.

You post the lens to them.
They post it to Portugal.
Southend on Sea posts you an estimate (oooh - does that mean Oly Portugal actually uses email???)
You post a cheque to Olympus.
(I suppost they post your cheque to the bank?)
Someone posts your lens back to you.

Keep you all informed

:-)

Pete

Last edited by snaarman; 26th February 2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 26th February 2010

Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Update: Yes - Olympus repair take credit cards, so that should save a couple of days :-)
But that is denying the postmen their due

Flickr
Old 3rd March 2010

Well my E3 repair is turning into a saga thanks to DHL. I rang Oly last Monday (over a week ago) and they processed my fault and arranged a Courier Pack to be sent out, so far so good. 3 days later DHL tried to drop off the pack but I kept missing them and it wasn't until last Sunday I finally got the pack. Packaged the Camera and on Monday morn rang DHL to arrange pickup, they said it would be collected on Tues (yesterday) but it wasn't I rang them this morn and they offered no explanation but said it would be picked up today. So a week and a half after my camera went faulty it's still sitting waiting to be sent away. My advice, just send it yourself, get a ref No from Oly and say you will send yourself via RMSD, sure it will cost you £6 but I'd rather have paid that than be dicked about by DHL, I would be over a week ahead if only I'd done that. :-(

Paul
Old 3rd March 2010

My sympathy on this one... like you say, a trip to the post office would be quicker.

However... Its almost three weeks since I sent my lens off on very special next day post. I have to report that neither Royal Mail or Post Office or whatever they call themselves this week have any record of it. Fortunately Olympus sent me an estimate, so I know they have the item.

I am rather missing my lens and will be glad to see it back home. Will keep the forum posted.

Pete