Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 5th August 2017

Liked 1,473 Times in 892 Posts
Digital photography isn't really free

Let me make it clear I'm not debunking digital photography, although I do admit to a liking, almost favouring the rendering produced by analogue, film.

This is not about amortising the depreciation of a digital camera over its life span, this is about the cost in terms of our time spent reviewing many hundreds if not thousands of images from a single day's shoot, or possibly even more over a 14 day holiday. This article by Eric Kim offers advice, worthy of sharing because I feel it makes good sense.
http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2...-photographer/

on flickr
Old 5th August 2017

Liked 610 Times in 420 Posts
Re: Digital photography isn't really free

I'm not sure that the cost-benefit equation in terms of time and equation makes sense. At one extreme you can bash off a shedload of shots on your phone without paying much attention and then spend the time and effort later. At the other you can spend half an hour lovingly setting up a single exposure on your large-format film camera to get it just right.

Either way, you have got to invest time and effort into making a good picture. Of course where the balance falls will vary from person to person so I suggest finding the method that appeals to you and making the most of it. Trying other ways from time to time may also be good as it could introduce you to new things that you wouldn't have thought of if you had stayed in your groove.

John
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (5th August 2017), wornish (5th August 2017)
Old 5th August 2017

Thanked 1,026 Times in 779 Posts
Liked 4,596 Times in 1,502 Posts

I actually like the PP process. There's a certain satisfaction in getting an image "just right".
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (5th August 2017)
Old 5th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
I'm not sure that the cost-benefit equation in terms of time and equation makes sense. At one extreme you can bash off a shedload of shots on your phone without paying much attention and then spend the time and effort later. At the other you can spend half an hour lovingly setting up a single exposure on your large-format film camera to get it just right.

Either way, you have got to invest time and effort into making a good picture. Of course where the balance falls will vary from person to person so I suggest finding the method that appeals to you and making the most of it. Trying other ways from time to time may also be good as it could introduce you to new things that you wouldn't have thought of if you had stayed in your groove.

John
When I take multiple shots I can become victim of paralysis by analysis, and for a perfectionist it's deadly. I spend far too long wondering if n or n+1 or n+m is the better of 'm' shots. It's a deadly disease.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (5th August 2017)
Old 5th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I actually like the PP process. There's a certain satisfaction in getting an image "just right".
Good for you!

on flickr
Old 5th August 2017

Liked 610 Times in 420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
When I take multiple shots I can become victim of paralysis by analysis, and for a perfectionist it's deadly. I spend far too long wondering if n or n+1 or n+m is the better of 'm' shots. It's a deadly disease.
Yup, know what you mean and to an extent I share it. But I also suffer from a similar paralysis if trying to make one "perfect" shot. In the end I either give up and don't take it, or have to kick myself and say "just press the ***** shutter".

We all have our different approaches. And while one might suit you, or me, better than others it doesn't make it right and the others wrong.

John
Old 5th August 2017
Administrator

Liked 1,355 Times in 796 Posts

Having used film for so long a heavy day for me is 100 frames (3 rolls)

Unless I'm developing a technique using continuous shutter, but even then I don't think I have ever shot more than 500 frames...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 5th August 2017

Liked 1,644 Times in 1,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I agree. But my weakness is that I don't really trust the meter or my analysis of the light so I end up bracketing; so three shots instead of one.

Then I spot an even better viewpoint. And with only ten exposures on a roll of 120.

When the film comes back the 'correct' exposure is invariably the best, but the bracketed shots are acceptable too. Somehow Velvia seems to have much better exposure latitude in MF cameras than 35 mm.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 5th August 2017

Liked 1,292 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Having used film for so long a heavy day for me is 100 frames (3 rolls)

Unless I'm developing a technique using continuous shutter, but even then I don't think I have ever shot more than 500 frames...
I've shot 700+ frames covering a 24 hour motorcycle race. But that was shooting colour and monochrome. And you're expected to get the shots the client wants to see so skimping on film wasn't an option.

I shoot less frames with digital than I used to with film as I no longer need to make in camera dupes. Having 4 or 5 copies of each shot meant that the lab could damage one, a publisher could lose one and you still had 2 or 3 on file for submitting to an editor.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 5th August 2017
Administrator

Liked 1,355 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I've shot 700+ frames covering a 24 hour motorcycle race. But that was shooting colour and monochrome. And you're expected to get the shots the client wants to see so skimping on film wasn't an option.

I shoot less frames with digital than I used to with film as I no longer need to make in camera dupes. Having 4 or 5 copies of each shot meant that the lab could damage one, a publisher could lose one and you still had 2 or 3 on file for submitting to an editor.
Very good reason for lots of shots... Never having done a 24 hr shoot, I cannot imagine what it would be like.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 5th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Very good reason for lots of shots... Never having done a 24 hr shoot, I cannot imagine what it would be like.
If you covered practice and qualifying it was more like 72 hours. During the race I'd try for a few hours sleep after midnight making sure that I was up when the first glimmer of light was in the sky. And hoping that the team you were documenting didnít have a disaster while you slept.

Also hoping that if you dropped your OM1 into the pits it was the pit box of the team you were there to cover so they would throw the camera back up to you.

Old 6th August 2017

Quote:
If you covered practice and qualifying it was more like 72 hours. During the race I'd try for a few hours sleep after midnight making sure that I was up when the first glimmer of light was in the sky. And hoping that the team you were documenting didnít have a disaster while you slept.

Also hoping that if you dropped your OM1 into the pits it was the pit box of the team you were there to cover so they would throw the camera back up to you.
You should try riding in one!

Six lap races around the IOM TT Course were enough for me, but they don't do that anymore.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
You should try riding in one!

Six lap races around the IOM TT Course were enough for me, but they don't do that anymore.
I borrowed a friends bike and did a couple of laps of the TT course when he was there for the Manx GP. To scary for me and I was a crazy ******* on bikes in those days. My concentration would slip or I'd get distracted on a regular circuit. The endurance riders I knew were able to put consistent lap times in lap after lap.

Old 6th August 2017

Quote:
I borrowed a friends bike and did a couple of laps of the TT course when he was there for the Manx GP. To scary for me and I was a crazy ******* on bikes in those days. My concentration would slip or I'd get distracted on a regular circuit. The endurance riders I knew were able to put consistent lap times in lap after lap.
No chance of losing concentration around there (and living)!

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would love to do it again, but the old bones are getting too old for that, and proper racing bikes are not built for comfort.

I also used to enjoy working on the bikes, which were forever being taken to pieces and put beck together again. The daft things we did to convince ourselves that we had a competitive advantage.

This was going into Waterworks just outside of Ramsey. The bend immediately after is quite tight hence the apparently leisurely approach (I think).

As you will see there is much more wear on the shoulders of the tyres than in the centres, and they were new!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th August 2017

I developed contact dermatitis, I suspect from tinkering with the road and race bikes all the time. Nothing to do with having my hands in chemicals in the darkroom.

I was a better builder than racer to be honest.

Edit. I can't remember what they called the short circuit at Brands but I got distracted there and wondered why they had the full circuit blocked off. I also remember getting a talking to for using my indicators randomly during a race. My road bike was race prepped and was eligible for production and a 500cc 4 stroke class. Somehow the indicators got reconnected after scruitineering.