Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 8th June 2017

Liked 1,171 Times in 711 Posts
Telephone / Internet scam

About an hour ago I received a call from a 'gentleman' with an Indian accent going by the name of 'Jason Williams'. He informed me that there was a problem with my internet connection in that someone possibly unknown to me was downloading a massive amount of data and it was causing problems with BT's server, and that he (BT) was looking for permission to disconnect my internet for 7 days. Obviously I wasn't buying this, and when I queried further he passed me over to his supervisor, another 'gentleman' with an Indian accent going by the name of a Jack Williams. When I asked if they were brothers he hung up.

Shortly afterwards I contacted BT direct and was informed there was no such fault, it was obviously a scam.

I post this as a warning for others, although most here are savvy enough not to fall for such a scam.

on flickr
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (31st July 2017), Naughty Nigel (8th June 2017), OM USer (8th June 2017), Wally (8th June 2017)
Old 8th June 2017

Liked 1,129 Times in 512 Posts
Re: Telephone / Internet scam

Any warning is better than no warning / forewarned is to be forearmed.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 8th June 2017

Liked 1,338 Times in 910 Posts

Thank you Steve.

I am currently having difficulties of my own concerning a telephone scam that others should be aware of.

I cannot give too many details at present as the matter is 'subjudice' as we say.

This all started in January when I received a 'cold call', allegedly from BT, offering reduced charges for phone and internet if we signed up for a new 30 month contract. BT had just announced a price increase so this was welcome.

(I should add, that as a small business, we regularly receive calls offering all sorts of products and services, and most are perfectly legitimate.)

I was asked to send copies of recent BT bills to confirm the account and contract status, which I did, and received a further call to confirm that I was 'out of contract' and therefore eligible to sign up for the new contract.

However, the Contract document was not with BT, but with a company in Cheshire. When I queried this I was told that they were 'authorised to act on BT's behalf, and that in any case, all calls were routed through the BT network and nothing would change'. However, the prices quoted seemed reasonable so I went ahead.

A few days later I started to receive emails, then letters from BT saying that they were sorry that I was leaving, and that I would have to pay early termination fees totalling nearly 1,000!

I called BT to discuss this and was told that the company was nothing to do with them, and that if I didn't want to leave BT I should cancel the transfer as soon as possible. This I did, but a few weeks later the lines were transferred anyway. The number of our main line was then changed, and our internet was disconnected and remained so for several weeks. The whole thing was a complete nightmare!

We also received hundreds of automated 'spam' telesales calls; mainly from energy companies telling us that we were on 'emergency gas and electrify tariffs' and 'could save money by switching now'. Most hung up when I questioned them, but a couple volunteered that ours 'was a new line' which had triggered the calls.

I had written to the company cancelling the Contract within the 14 day cooling off period but did not receive any confirmation.

I took the matter up with OFCOM who were generally supportive, but seemed unable to do anything directly. (I gather it is only when multiple complaints are received about the same company that any action is taken.)

I most recently received an invoice from the company alleging Breach of Contract, and claiming payment of nearly 7,000 within seven days!

They maintain the 14 day cooling off period doesn't apply to them.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (8th June 2017), Ricoh (8th June 2017)
Old 8th June 2017

Have you had a word with the local Plod Squad? I'm pretty sure there is an UK section that deal specifically with on-line fraud which this very much sounds like?

Just scoped this which has to be worth a try. http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Last edited by Wally; 8th June 2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: url added
Old 8th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Have you had a word with the local Plod Squad? I'm pretty sure there is an UK section that deal specifically with on-line fraud which this very much sounds like?

Just scoped this which has to be worth a try. http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
I have reported it to Action Fraud who deal with such things but have heard nothing more.

Trading Standards were more interested.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 8th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I have reported it to Action Fraud who deal with such things but have heard nothing more.

Trading Standards were more interested.
Hope all goes well.

Old 8th June 2017

Liked 777 Times in 511 Posts

My understanding is that Action Fraud will only act if money has been lost. So far, it looks like you haven't lost anything.

If it was me, I'd ignore the demand for 7000.

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (8th June 2017)
Old 8th June 2017

Sorry to hear this Nigel, a complete and utter nightmare for you.

on flickr
Old 8th June 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,882 Times in 2,225 Posts
Liked 3,555 Times in 1,665 Posts

This is one reason that I believe utilities for power and communications should never have been privatised! Competition is supposed to be beneficial, encouraging efficiency and driving down prices, but in reality it is a minefield of confusion for the consumer with too many unethical operators in the industry and nowhere near enough regulation.

I hope you manage to get this resolved soon, Nigel.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (8th June 2017), Naughty Nigel (8th June 2017)
Old 8th June 2017

Thanked 1,180 Times in 1,125 Posts
Liked 801 Times in 576 Posts

I would reply telling them that the matter is in the hands of the police and that all further coresponcence will aslo be handed over for use by the CPS. They don't need to know that nothing may happen.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 8th June 2017

Liked 329 Times in 210 Posts

I just received this e-mail, purporting to be from BT Business:
"
New BT Bill
Your bill amount is: 756.67 GBP. This doesn't include any amounts brought forward from any other bills.

We've put your latest BT bill for you to view. See your bill here.

The PDF version of your bill might not be available for download yet. It can take up to 48 hours.

We'll take your payment from your account as usual by Direct Debit.

Reduce paper waste
You're still getting paper bills by post. Why not go paper-free, and stop storing and shredding them once and for all?

Need some help?
Go to www.bt.com/business/support.

Thanks for choosing BT.

Zara Dean
CEO, BT Business

Payment processing fee: BT Payment Services Ltd, a BT Group Company, charges this fee.
"

I have removed the links for obvious reasons - Mailwasher shows they don't go to where they appear to go to, instead to some obscure and doubtless phishing web site.

This one is obviously a scam, I know what real BT e-mails look like, but it shows the scammers will try anything. The CEO of BT is Gavin Patterson, not Zara Dean, and BT e-mails usually come from Libby Barr anyway!

Nigel - I hope your problem is sorted out quickly, it sounds like a nightmare .
Old 8th June 2017

For voice I have today activated 1572 so I can block the bar-stewards in future

on flickr
Old 8th June 2017

Liked 329 Times in 210 Posts

I've noticed a big reduction in the number of calls my BT8500 phone has blocked recently so perhaps recent changes are having some effect at last.
Old 8th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
This is one reason that I believe utilities for power and communications should never have been privatised! Competition is supposed to be beneficial, encouraging efficiency and driving down prices, but in reality it is a minefield of confusion for the consumer with too many unethical operators in the industry and nowhere near enough regulation.

I hope you manage to get this resolved soon, Nigel.
I tend to agree with you on this John.

In principle, nationalised industries should have delivered a better service with any profits going to the Exchequer. It has never made sense to me that our railways, power and water companies are in many cases owned by French, Dutch and German state operators.

Privatisation has, in the main, brought better services and lower costs, but as you say, it has also created a minefield for consumers.

The East Coast Main Line was run under public ownership for a while after the collapse of the original GNER and then Stagecoach franchises, (allegedly as a result of the 7/7 bombings in London which significantly reduced passenger numbers).

I have to say it was an excellent service, which reportedly made a good profit for HM Government, but it was nevertheless returned to private operation under the Virgin label thanks to the privatisation mantra.

Thinking back to the nationalised industries of the 1960's, 70's and 80's they were horrendously inefficient and strike prone; which is probably why both Maggie and Tony Blair were determined to privatise them.

There was also a desperate lack of investment under all governments, which was resolved by privatisation.

Would our nationalised industries be any different now I wonder?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Zuiko (8th June 2017)
Old 8th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I've noticed a big reduction in the number of calls my BT8500 phone has blocked recently so perhaps recent changes are having some effect at last.
There were some hefty fines handed down to rogue telephone marketing outfits a little while ago, which may have put them off. Let's hope so anyway.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing