Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 28th July 2017

Liked 381 Times in 275 Posts
Looking for some specific pictures

To see if I can quieten a full frame DSLR disciple I would like to show him some pictures taken of gymnasts doing acrobatic manoeuvres using the OMD EM1 Mkii.

Just to prove a point. (If I can)

Can any one point me to some.

Thanks
Old 30th July 2017

Liked 969 Times in 545 Posts
Re: Looking for some specific pictures

I can't offer any, Derek, but we really can't expect to defeat the laws of physics, even though the Oly and Sony engineers are coming closer to doing that with every new model!

It's only in the area of low-light signal-to-noise ratio that larger sensors now indisputably rule the roost: as ever it depends on the use to which you're going to put the images (Facebook, Flickr, club projected image competitions, 12 x 16" prints, 16 x 20" prints etc etc), but if you want to shoot indoor sports you need superb focusing plus low noise at high ISO, and quite a few pixels so you can crop a lot.

The 1ii will do the first of these as well as anything south of a D500, and it's not bad for the third... however...

The photonstophotos site is good on this if you want what is probably the most objective comparative data available - one point of interest is that the dynamic range of the 1ii is pretty indistinguishable from that of the Fuji XT2 (crop sensor), and is significantly better than that of the Canon 7D mkii at ISOs below around 18000: http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PD...M1%20Mark%20II

Fiddling round with that graph might shut him up for a while! On the other hand I'd suggest he just gets out and takes some more pictures.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
DerekW (30th July 2017)