Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 177 Times in 76 Posts
The Definitive Camera Bag

Over the years I have accumulated different camera bags. For flying, I use a “Targus” messenger bag for the lenses and camera stuff. It has a sleeve for slipping over the trolley cabin “carry on”. It encapsulates the second small cabin bag allowed by airlines. It works well, except it looks a bit too formal and business for my liking.

Another camera bag has wheels, is a backpack combo with a compartment for a laptop, but it’s big and not lightweight. For off road driving, the bag needs to be sturdy and to be able to fend off knocks and bumps from the bad roads. Perhaps I expect too much.

What do people use? Is there a definitive budget camera bag for travel, flying and hiking?

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,451 Times in 753 Posts
Re: The Definitive Camera Bag

How long is a piece of string

Its really personal taste. Personally I prefer the sling bags. After my Tamrac zip broke, I bought a Lowepro 400. Nice bag, but a bit big. Now I use an Amazon sling bag, which is the right size for me, and only £23!

How much gear do you want to carry? I like to carry a change of lens, or two, batteries and spare SD cards. + cleaning cloths, and a small note book...….

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Gate Keeper (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

It’s the ‘flying’ aspect that causes me the most grief. I’ve been through various bags over not too many years and still can’t settle on one or even find the perfect one. I’m hoping my move to M43 will ease those problems, certainly the weight and size issues. When I was carrying two Canon bodies and perhaps 3 lenses I often found I was lugging 10+ kg on my back up to the check-in counter and trying, nonchalantly, to make it look light!
For me, once I can get past check-in then I can transfer stuff back into the main carry on bag and jobs a good ‘un.
Current carry-on bag for all the gear is a cheap Hama roller bag, far from perfect but seems to get better as each trip passes and certainly more manageable than previous larger Nest roller and Kata backpack. Now I just need a smallish, light backpack with a bit of padding between the cameras and the ground, for use on days out or boat trips.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts

As above there is no one bag to rule them all - a fact aggravated by the way the Camera is to Bag as Wedding is to Cake - let's add a massive mark up for no apparent reason

I have been expanding from an E-PL5 and 2 lenses towards an E-M10 and 6 lenses.
In that time I started with the Olympus Street Case M and then the Street Case L.
Both look a bit like minature PanAm bags and have been cheap and very, very durable.
I'd recommend them as cheap and durable - the styling is a slightly more contentious issue and having the brand on them isn't subtle. If you're using wheeled cases then they're probably far too small.

Recently I was bought an ONA Leather Bowery - it's a beautiful thing but was far more expensive than I would have bought for myself. I got an extra couple of inserts for it as my little camera and lenses rattled around a little inside.
Given who gave it to me and how much it cost it will be "the one true bag" for the forseeable future.

http://www.onabags.eu/store/messenge...owery-174.html

The insets came from eBay as part of a larger bag insert - that allows you to change any bag into a "camera bag" for under £10 - might be worth a look?
This is the one I got just for the dividers
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263047074421

I know a lot of people love a Billingham bag
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,126 Times in 1,051 Posts
Liked 1,318 Times in 693 Posts

Interesting question as I do need a new bag but just haven't found one I like better than the one I currently use. I have two main bags both are Lowepro bags and both were free with magazine subscriptions several years ago now. My main stay is the Orion Trekker II, pretty much perfect for me as I can have most of my camera gear in the padded base and sandwiches/photo extras in the top half of the bag. For airports I can leave out the sandwiches and add all the chargers etc plus just about get my tablet in as well (that is a real tight fit though as it's a 12.2" screen). Just about big enough to take all the gear through an airport and nicely compact for walking when only part filled. The other bag is a little bit bigger a Lowepro CompuDaypack. Very much the same design as the Orion but with the addition of a vertical laptop and tablet section. I thought this would be ideal as a replacement for the Orion but to be honest being that little bit bigger and cumbersome, missing the two zip pockets on the side and a top zip that has to open from the side just mean it never really replaced the Orion for convenience. The Orion is loosing stuffing from the back now so I do need a replacement. So what do I want basically an Orion sized pack that has two separate sections one for camera gear and one for overflow gear/sandwiches and a tablet/thin laptop slot. I'd like to be able to have easy access to the camera gear. Currently with the Orion design I have to take the pack off and open it. The sling designs where you just slide the bag round to the front are great and I'd buy one BUT I don't only want one shoulder strap. I need the weight distributed over both shoulders when walking. I saw a Wolf backpack demonstrated at the NEC show recently and was pretty impressed with the way it worked. Two straps and a unique swing round mechanism. I tried it out a few times and it worked well but I just didn't feel it was quite right. A bit too complex a mechanism and a little bit heavy. Otherwise a great quality and unique product.
So what do I get...? the Lowepro flipside 300 aw II looks pretty good but on trying it at the NEC it was quite awkward to swing round and open. The waist strap that is needed for this to work would get in my way and be rather annoying when not fastened. I'd probably want it loose when walking to get more airflow cooling (for me!). Plus the additional space section is rather small. So jury's out for me so far. Lets see what this thread throws up.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 177 Times in 76 Posts

Thanks to everyone for contributing. Its positive to read about the different bags that folks are using, all from experienced photographers. On my last flight out from the UK, I carried most of my camera equipment and a tablet in a fishing jacket/tech vest. It has 32 pockets. My thinking was to beat the inflight weight spot check for the bag. How naughty of me to have such a thought. I only had 2 lenses, a GoPro, a Sony Video camera, various cables, camera paraphernalia and the Oly.

One day last week, I wore it on a photo shoot and forest walk about. By the time I got back, I was drenched in sweat from the high humidity. In essence, not practical for the field in the tropics, a waste of money. Best suited for fishing in the UK.

I will check out the brand names and links, thank you for supplying them

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I used to carry one of those jackets / gilet things but never actually used it. Now I take a small shoulder bag as second carry on item and put the heaviest lenses and one body in that, then tuck it all back in the roller bag once through check-in. I had a situation once where a stewardess literally couldn’t lift my carry on camera bag (Nest roller) and I have to admit to struggling to get it into the overhead locker! Hopefully having now gone M43 those sort of issues should be greatly reduced. We’re away soon and I still intend to plonk the Panny 100-400, the 12-100 and one body in the over the shoulder number and stroll nonchalantly up to the check in desk. I’ve given up taking a laptop which knocks a couple of kilos off the total too.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 745 Times in 278 Posts

As someone wrote, 'how long is a piece of string?"
I have been using an old cine camera bag that belonged to my wife's late father. I bit l longer than most camera bags and I could get most of my stuff in.
I have used a pelicase in the past, get a lot of stuff in it, has wheels and could be stood on to gain height.
Now I have the E-System bag again, I will be using that to fly, (although we both prefer cruising) and hope to get a Billingham bag that can go in the main luggage to use when i get where I am going.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 835 Times in 548 Posts

This is a brilliant bag at an unbelievable price:

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/7d...ncluded-ds-014

Jim
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 778 Times in 480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

Jim
Agreed ! Most of 7Dayshop photography gear is excellent value and good quality. The only thing that seems to deter people is the lack of "Bragging Rights" obtained by buying a similar item with a top brand label costing 10x more.

John
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 294 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post

Jim
I bought this one last year. Unbelievably good value and I was hoping to take it on our safari to South Africa next month. But I cannot get the required kit in it (EM1.2, Pen F, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, MC14, and 75-300)and will be reverting to a 10 year old Lowepro shoulder/waist pack from transport duties.
The one thing with the 7DS bag is that if you put too much stuff in the flap pockets it a hindrance when you want to access the main compartment (too heavy and floppy)

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 835 Times in 548 Posts

Incidentally, I find bags with velcro attached dividers a fiddle to arrange - you can't move them around easily without removing them.

I put pieces of paper between the velcro and adjacent parts. This way you can put the gear in the bag and move the sections around until satisfied. You can then pull the paper away so the velcro then grips.

Jim
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (2 Weeks Ago), Shaw (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 294 Times in 202 Posts

Excellent idea Jim. Yes they can be a pain until they are old and lose their grip......then they are useless.

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 778 Times in 480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Yes they can be a pain until they are old and lose their grip......then they are useless.
I know that feeling

John
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 4,232 Times in 1,395 Posts

While it's not always true, it's often the case that you get what you pay for. I've done cheap bags and they never last. My go-to bag these days is a Billingham Hadley Small. It's fantastically-well built and just the right size for the E-M1ii with 25//1.8 fitted plus three other lenses (Oly 8mm FE, PL 8-18 and Oly 12-100). THen there are some pockets for filters, batteries etc. Never had an issue taking onboard planes as carry-on.
Portfolio Site
Instagram