Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 996 Times in 566 Posts
Re: The appeal of digital photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
What sort of timescale was there between those various OMs ?
There are a lot of OM resources on the web, some better than others, but this is a nice introduction, and he lists some good sources at the end (especially the detailed mir site):

https://www.filmshooterscollective.c...er-review-4-29

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 209 Times in 151 Posts

Interesting article, thanks Mark.
Old 3rd June 2018

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

The rate at which digital camera technology is developing and therefore the rate at which new camera models/upgrades are being produced is a direct result of the fact that the totality of human knowledge is increasing (literally) at an exponential rate.

This article (written in 2013 so it's already out of date ) is very interesting and thought provoking. http://www.industrytap.com/knowledge...-12-hours/3950 It indicates that up to 1900 human knowledge doubled approximately every century. By the end of WWII it was doubling every 25 years and by 2013 it was doubling every year.

Given the rate at which the human population is increasing with more people needing employment to feed and house themselves etc. one wonders where it will all end. It probably has some bearing on the debate about immigration etc. as well.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 282 Times in 179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
I’m sure my old Canon EOS 5 (yes the one with eye controlled focus) was a ‘current’ model for much much longer than anything seems these days.
Well I have just bought a brand new Nikon F6 ... yes they are still making them. Launched in 2006 a few are hand built each week by a team of two ( apparently ) which means it has been in production for 12 years so far. Yes indeed film bodies stayed ( stay ) current much longer.

At £1749.00 I am sure most here will think I'm nuts, but if you love film as I do it's actually a sound investment and something of a bargain compared to its 'digital' pro counterparts.

Bought it from Grays of Westminster, they had two in from Japan last month and I was fortunate to get the second one ( so they are out of stock again ). It was built in Nikon's Sendai plant in late April so counter to what many think Nikon is still building the F6. S/No. now in the 35k region ... not bad considering it was launched after digital had really took over.

Got a 5 year warranty too by taking out a gold subscription to Nikon Owners Club.

Anyway back to the appeal of digital .... well for most I think the question has already been answered in this post. For me it's the ability to use so many different brand legacy lenses on my Pen-F and the ability to quickly produce an image for my business website or in store point of sale ... and that's about it really, yep I know ..... I'm a luddite.

Simon
drmarkf (4th June 2018), Gate Keeper (5th June 2018), TimP (5th June 2018)
Old 4th June 2018

Liked 483 Times in 316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Well, OM-1, OM-2, OM-3, OM4. Is that not newer versions in one camera line? I can't reacall any 2 digit cameras other than the OM10 and OM40 so only 2 in this line up. an OM 707 at one time).

There was an OM-20 and an OM-30 which were not very popular, and an OM-1n, an OM-2n and an OM-2SP. The 2SP had more in common with the OM-4 than the OM-2. A friend of mine had an OM-20 (which was basically an OM-10 with a built-in manual adaptor) but to me it felt very cheap, and he had a lot of trouble with it. The OM-30 was an early attempt at AF but the focussing was done more by the dedicated lens than the camera. There was also the OM-101 which had "power focus". Why?!
Old 4th June 2018

Liked 1,887 Times in 969 Posts

Digital is what they call progress.

Can you believe that some still prefer vinyl records as opposed to a digital music file...…………….J C

(Hat on)…………….

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
angelpaaul (4th June 2018)
Old 4th June 2018

Liked 1,039 Times in 680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Can you believe that some still prefer vinyl records as opposed to a digital music file...…………….J C
Yes, the hiss, crackles and reduced frequency range give the sound 'character'!

Jim
Old 4th June 2018

Liked 96 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Digital is what they call progress.

Anyone remember those digital watches where you had to press button to tell the time?

Digital radio seems another mis-use of the technology - how to use more bandwidth to get a poorer performance than FM radio.

Against these, though, I feel digital photography is a real success story
Old 4th June 2018

Liked 483 Times in 316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Yes, the hiss, crackles and reduced frequency range give the sound 'character'!

Ha! True, but that probably sounds better than a heavily compressed mp3 .

Our DAB radio is a victim of being the first such system and has by modern standards a very poor (mp2) compression system and low bandwidth. In the car I'd sooner have the hiss of a poor FM signal than the complete silence of a poor DAB one!

I agree about the success of digital photography - especially in comparison to APS and the risible disc camera!
Old 4th June 2018

Liked 1,039 Times in 680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Ha! True, but that probably sounds better than a heavily compressed mp3 .
I do miss the hypnotic hiss-click of the locked groove at the end of a vinyl record, though!

Jim
Old 4th June 2018

Thanked 1,314 Times in 1,257 Posts
Liked 1,060 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
There was an OM-20 and an OM-30 which were not very popular, and an OM-1n, an OM-2n and an OM-2SP. The 2SP had more in common with the OM-4 than the OM-2. A friend of mine had an OM-20 (which was basically an OM-10 with a built-in manual adaptor) but to me it felt very cheap, and he had a lot of trouble with it. The OM-30 was an early attempt at AF but the focussing was done more by the dedicated lens than the camera. There was also the OM-101 which had "power focus".
Otto, yes I had completely forgotten these. Either my failing memory or I had no interest in them at the time. Thanks.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 4th June 2018

Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts

I still own and use an OM4ti, OM1, OM2n, Trip 35, Ferrania falco 2, Agfa Billy, Zeiss Ikonta 513, Kodak vest pocket (circa 1917), No.1 Autographic Kodak Junior, to name but a few. The only one I don't take out that often is the vest pocket, it takes 127 film. I have a limited supply of this. Which one I take out depends on my mood.

Besides that lot I own an OMD EM1 mk2, Pen EP5, plus various pro lenses, flash units etc.

So, as you can see, I have a foot in both camps. Both have their pros and cons and it's really down choice. I like digital for the instant feedback, film for the fun of it. I develop and scan my own film, nothing like the stench of chemicals in a confined space.

Is one better than the other? I know which I prefer, Over to you .........
Simon Bee (4th June 2018)
Old 4th June 2018

Liked 1,473 Times in 892 Posts

I've kept this a bit of a secret up til now I have a Half Frame Pen FT complete with 40 f1.4 and 70 f/2 lenses.

Film is quite expensive as a running cost, but some of the old analogue cameras can be purchased quite cheaply. With digital the cost per frame decreases proportional to the number of frames shot. With film the cost increases. The aesthetics of film and digital are different, so it's a matter of choice. I know which I prefer. In fact I'm doing a wedding shortly and I'm using Portra.

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
IPWheatley (6th June 2018), Simon Bee (4th June 2018)
Old 5th June 2018

Liked 237 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
What is it about digital photography that makes it so attractive; is it the ability to see the results moments after triggering the shutter, or perhaps the aesthetic of digital rendering? Maybe it's the 'craft' that some find appealing, for instance the ability to focus-stack, image stabilisation, high dynamic range, or something else I haven't mentioned.

My first digital camera didn't have an LCD screen so you were fresh out of luck if you wanted to review immediately

For me digital rekindled my interest in photography after a long break.
The expense of film and processing had limited what I could afford to do so for several years I was a 3 rolls a year, snapshot photographer.

Taking as many or as few images I wanted before I could see the results and there being no incremental cost was a big factor.

Having our daughter also encouraged me to take to the camera much more frequently and that coincided with a 2MP+ digital camera becoming affordable.

Now I enjoy the immediacy of the result and the ability to share the results more or less instantly.

However as I've grown into the hobby being able to post process - crop, level, adjust shadows and highlights etc. means it can take weeks or even months before I've "finished" a holiday or family event and I'm ready to share the results. I now understand how to get all sorts of results from the same RAW "negative" so I mess with them more than I would have in the darkroom.
So I guess I'm heading back towards the days of deferred gratification from photography again
Old 5th June 2018

Liked 209 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
My first digital camera didn't have an LCD screen so you were fresh out of luck if you wanted to review immediately

For me digital rekindled my interest in photography after a long break.
The expense of film and processing had limited what I could afford to do so for several years I was a 3 rolls a year, snapshot photographer.

Taking as many or as few images I wanted before I could see the results and there being no incremental cost was a big factor.
Same here really, I’d lost interest, was tired of lugging lots of kit and having an early, basic and simple digicam was wonderful again. I swore I’d never get back into all the gear...... oh how I was wrong! I blame trying to photograph wildlife for me buying more and more kit. Then it got too heavy and I moved to M43.

I recently found one of my original digicams, a Fuji 4800,seems to still work but battery needs fixing (bought a new cell to graft inside the old battery case). Happy memories despite the ‘no incremental cost’ factor literally costing me thousands!