Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 1,473 Times in 892 Posts
The appeal of digital photography

What is it about digital photography that makes it so attractive; is it the ability to see the results moments after triggering the shutter, or perhaps the aesthetic of digital rendering? Maybe it's the 'craft' that some find appealing, for instance the ability to focus-stack, image stabilisation, high dynamic range, or something else I haven't mentioned.

on flickr
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 1,888 Times in 969 Posts
Re: The appeal of digital photography

Computer age now, photo manipulation available to all. And as you said, instant gratification....or not..

My Flickr
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 1,075 Times in 430 Posts

For me I find digital allows a better learning experience as you can understand straight away what you've done and have another go if it's not right...

With film, however good my intentions for making notes at the time, I couldn't remember exactly what I was doing when I took the photo so the learning process was a lot slower (and more expensive!)

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 96 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
For me I find digital allows a better learning experience as you can understand straight away what you've done and have another go if it's not right...

With film, however good my intentions for making notes at the time, I couldn't remember exactly what I was doing when I took the photo so the learning process was a lot slower (and more expensive!)

I agree with all that but the bit in parentheses at the end was a very important driver, especially in the early days, when digital quality wasn't so good. No film costs
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 1,040 Times in 681 Posts

I can remember with film getting the results back and dumping the lot in the bin!

When reviewing the slides I've kept, I find they're technically far inferior to my digital ones - even the much vaunted 25 ASA Kodachrome 2 ones.

Jim
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 414 Times in 154 Posts

Freedom,hardly any restraint on iso, so that gives little restraint on shutter speed or arpeture,when i think back to 64 ASA slde film and the processing and mounting when i got home.
Even if film had improved to give me acceptable 3200 i wouldn't be able to knock it down to 400 or 200 for a few shots, yes freedom.
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 483 Times in 316 Posts

Being able to get a decent picture in a Victorian steam engine house, hand held without flash or a tripod!
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 211 Times in 153 Posts

I miss the simplicity of the film camera days but wouldn’t go back to it for a minute. No faffing about in uber complex menus. Select your chosen mode and exposure compensation was done with the iso dial. Film was expensive, then you had d&p on top, then you’d wait for the results to come back only to be disappointed (or delighted). I wish camera bodies didn’t get updated so often, I’m sure my old Canon EOS 5 (yes the one with eye controlled focus) was a ‘current’ model for much much longer than anything seems these days.
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
I agree with all that but the bit in parentheses at the end was a very important driver, especially in the early days, when digital quality wasn't so good. No film costs
While I agree with what you're saying, you have to take other factors into account.

1. The cost of buying a camera with built in redundancy. Makers are always coming out with Mk whatever which is better than the previous model.

2. A need, eventually, to buy a faster computer to cope with ever more bloated software that slows it down. Frustrating and annoying.

3. Storage of digital files, (photos), that is backing them up. External discs, CDs or cloud cloud storage, maybe all three.

4. How many of us actually print the results?

Yes, I know all the arguments against film, can't see results untill after D&P, scanning and storage of negative etc. I'm just saying digital isn't as cheap as it first appears.

Just my two pence worth.
Old 3rd June 2018

Did film cameras have “Mk xx” version? Maybe I lost interest all those years ago and missed that happening!

Less sure about the faster computers, seems like modern kit delivers more power than software and O/S are demanding ( run a 8+ yr old MacBook Pro with 2TB SSD and maxed out ram - also don’t use much in the way of demanding software, no PS for example)

Storage is an issue, although film emulsions, slides and prints all degrade with time too. I dread the future though when all paper ‘stuff’ has gone, everything is all digital and due to whatever, everything is lost, no history, nothing! I’ve recently been copying old digital images I saved on CD and DVD around 10-20 years ago and so far I’ve been able to read ‘em all but simply putting them onto multiple external HDDs doesn’t really give me any confidence for the long term future.

Occasionally print good ones but most end up on various family iPads which works pretty well for us, certainly better than thumbing through tired prints.

I think digital has fooled us all into spending waay more than perhaps we realise and certainly more than we did in film days. Saying that we’ve got many more photos, probably many more crappy ones and probably haven’t taken as much care composing shots than we perhaps did when film rolls were 36 images and each one had to count.
Old 3rd June 2018

Thanked 1,314 Times in 1,257 Posts
Liked 1,062 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Did film cameras have Mk xx version?
Well, OM-1, OM-2, OM-3, OM4. Is that not newer versions in one camera line? I can't reacall any 2 digit cameras other than the OM10 and OM40 so only 2 in this line up.

To answer the general question in the OP then digital gives me the useable high (and variable) ISO and reasonably good autofocus (better than my manual focus - I did think about an OM 707 at one time). I also like the ability to take multiple duff shots for little cost. Storage is easier but I am also worried about long term viability.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 3rd June 2018

Weren’t those OM-1,2 etc more like the current M1,M5,M10 etc rather than, say, the M1 marks 1 & 2? I don’t know because I wasn’t an Olympus user in analogue days.
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 996 Times in 566 Posts

The OM1 - 4 were indeed major updates, with all sorts of innovations and developments between each model (especially between the 1 to 2).

Interesting to think about the differences in expenditure between film and digital, but we shouldn't forget also the general rise in prosperity (may be hard to believe in some case, I know) and the fall in costs of getting a 'good' photographic device of any type in relation to, say, average wage corrected for inflation etc.

There are a lot of factors, and things can look cheap or expensive depending on the view you choose to take of each of them.

After all, I need a home office computer for my work and it has needed no significant extra expenditure to be used for photography, so is that really an extra expense?

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 3rd June 2018

What sort of timescale was there between those various OMs ?

Am I thinking stuff happens quicker now or is it just because I’m some decades older?
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 96 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Did film cameras have Mk xx version? Maybe I lost interest all those years ago and missed that happening!

The difference is that a digital camera comprises both 'film' (i.e. sensitive medium) and 'camera'.

With a film camera, the body had very little to do with the quality of the image - that was largely determined by the film and the lens - so there was little need for regular updates.

Film, on the other hand was regularly updated - Kodachrome, Kodachrome II, K25, K200, then the Fuji 'takeover'.

Now, it's down to a camera upgrade, if we want better dynamic range, colour, resolution, etc.