Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 18th May 2018

Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
street / candid photography etiquette - from the other side

So yesterday I was just walking back to the office with my lunch, waiting to cross the road at a pelican crossing. As the green man flashed and I set off to cross, this guy (possibly student) with a big DLSR next to the crossing triggered off a set of three or four shots of me as I was crossing the road.

I've no idea why he wanted a picture of me (middle aged guy with a straw hat on), or what he planned to do with them, so I turned back and asked him to delete the pictures.

He then started the old "public space" argument that he can photograph what he likes. Anyway, I asked him again, and eventually he agreed that as I had asked politely he would delete them. Whether he did or not I'm not sure.

Any thoughts? Other than he should have had an OMD with silent shutter mode on?
Old 18th May 2018

Liked 1,074 Times in 429 Posts
Re: street / candid photography etiquette - from the other side

Grumpy old man!

My own take is that I always ask permission of anonymous subjects - even if it’s only a wave of the camera and a tentative thumbs up.

I get quite grumpy when people take my photo without asking.

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 18th May 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,355 Times in 796 Posts

Ask yourself; how many times each day your image is captured, by all the "security" cameras? Do you ever consider asking for those images to be deleted.

We have become a continuously surveilled society, while we are in both "public" and Private spaces. It's something you have to accept or invest in a disguise...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (18th May 2018)
Old 18th May 2018

Liked 107 Times in 73 Posts

"surveilled"???

I know what you mean though.

Personally I'm fine with people taking shots with me in within the current UK legal framework.
shotokan101 (20th May 2018)
Old 18th May 2018

Liked 1,887 Times in 969 Posts

We are in the middle of the Humanity in Action challenge. May he was one us of getting a photo for the comp....

I would not object to my photo being taken , I might ask where it was going to be shown, or what for. (Unless I was up to mischief of course, which I never get the chance to do)

On the other hand, I find it difficult to wave a camera in an strangers face, I value my front teeth.

But I am quite happy to try to take street photos from afar, with the 40-150mm. I suppose one should ask, but the people are usually to far away.........

Enough street photos are taken and displayed.........

Bit personal I guess...........

My Flickr
Petrochemist (18th May 2018)
Old 18th May 2018

Liked 107 Times in 79 Posts

Mark I can't see why you want them deleted. From the sounds of things he wasn't invading your personal space, or anything. You were just an anonymous character in his images.
As a photographer I would have expected you to be more tolerant than the average Joe.

I don't think I've recently been the main subject for a photograph from someone I don't know, (My modelling days finished about 40 years ago, and it was never a common thing) but despite my now less than photogenic figure I still often end up in the background for press/TV shots.
Even with my name sown into the outside of my Jacket I'm pretty anonymous, just occasionally commented upon by friends.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (21st May 2018), shotokan101 (20th May 2018)
Old 18th May 2018

Liked 208 Times in 115 Posts

A couple of weeks ago, I bumped into Dougie Wallace in the East End. Dougie’s star is in the ascendant at the moment, we had a brief chat and what with my deafness and his Glaswegian accent, I don’t recall anything other than that he had featured in a BBC program that I had already seen.

It’s here and worth a look. He is quite unrelenting and when I saw him, he had a camera fitted with two flashlights. He took photos maybe a foot away from people’s faces and marched away not giving the bemused subject a chance to protest.

He gets some great images but doesn’t connect with his subjects’ humanity which is where I think he misses out. It takes all sorts.

David
Old 21st May 2018

Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

I take the points about being on cctv but what I didn't like was the possibility I might end up in a magazine or in a newspaper when I was just crossing a road minding my own business - perhaps because I was looking at my phone or wearing a trilby?

Yes when you are a street performer, or perhaps are part of a crowd at an event then I think you can expect to perhaps be captured on camera. Often at football matches the club photographer may take a crowd pic and I later spot myself, but that seems fair game to me.
Old 21st May 2018

Liked 1,039 Times in 680 Posts

Your name's Victor Meldrew and I claim my £5!

Jim
drmarkf (21st May 2018)
Old 21st May 2018

Liked 996 Times in 566 Posts

I take thousands of street images per year and Iíve never been asked to delete one, although Iím perfectly happy to do so if asked. I can recall a couple of people over the past 5-6 years asking what I was doing, and when I explained I was an amateur photographer documenting life in the locality they both asked me for copies of their image: I have some nice cards with my email address and name, and they both emailed me and I sent jpegs.

A small proportion of people have spotted that I might have done so (from their look in my image when looked at on screen) but Iím sure that the great majority arenít aware.

So, Iíd say a lot of this is down from the photographerís point of view to attitude and technique. As you say, blasting away with a DSLR is just daft if your aim is to capture natural images.

From the subjectís, I can only say that youíre unusual! However I donít personally understand your problem with him doing that.

Iím not sure what in would have done. Either ignored him, or maybe had a chat and explored why he was being so intrusive (and counterproductive to his likely aims).

I should perhaps add that I always aim to take candid shots that respect my subject and I never photograph children, the ill or desperate, homeless, drunk or drugged, or anyone looking remotely Ďdangerousí.

Dougie (Glasweegee) is a great guy, whose images have a very strong social documentary thread. Heís much more than some pushy pap with a flash gun.

Have a look at the work of Bruce Gilden if you really want to see confrontational anger in a street photographer.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 21st May 2018

Liked 2,318 Times in 747 Posts

I never photograph strangers (I don't have the confidence to do so and I respect their privacy too much) so I would be annoyed if somebody took a photograph of me without my permission. I am not sure that I would challenge them but to the best of my knowledge the situation hasn't occurred so far. I have always hated having my photograph taken and will do everything possible to avoid it. There again, I am a bit of a misanthrope which is why I photograph birds. Much less hassle than people.

Ron
MJ224 (22nd May 2018)
Old 22nd May 2018

Liked 1,887 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
I should perhaps add that I always aim to take candid shots that respect my subject and I never photograph children, the ill or desperate, homeless, drunk or drugged, or anyone looking remotely Ďdangerousí.
You live longer that way as well...ÖÖ..Good Practise....

My Flickr
drmarkf (22nd May 2018)