Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-30

Olympus E-30 An Olympus 12.1MP upper mid-range DSLR, the E-30.

Old 26th July 2013

Thanked 1,200 Times in 950 Posts
Liked 1,631 Times in 949 Posts
Re: E30 AF area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
I think the mode you are referring to is called 'Dynamic-single target AF mode'. You should be able to access it by holding down the direct AF target button and keeping it pressed while you operate the dial. It should cycle round until you reach the required mode. If you release the button before rotating the dial you move about amongst the points in the currently selected mode.

If this doesn't work, I am at a loss to know what is wrong.

Ron
That works for me! I finally learn something new for the E30 now that I'm not using it much. The holding in of the focus point select button (while rotating the front wheel) is the key point here & is something I have never tried before. (I noticed that pressing & holding it consecutively will toggle between the focus pattern & SCP & if it shows SCP then doing it again gets the focus points display)
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 26th July 2013

Quote:
I am mystified by this. I can't find any reference to 'crosshairs' in my camera's menus or in the manual. Are you talking about the five focus points in a cross formation or something different?

Ron
The term 'cross hair' really refers to the focus sensors themselves & in the Menu (spanner A, AF Sensitivity) selecting SMALL uses single 'cross hairs' of the focus sensors while NORMAL uses the double 'cross hairs' in each focus point. I've never really found the SMALL to be that useful as the NORMAL seems to get a better focus hit (for me).

EDIT: Corrected above.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 26th July 2013

Liked 2,444 Times in 769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
The term 'cross hair' refers to the focus sensors themselves & in the Menu (spanner A, AF Sensitivity) selecting FINE uses single 'cross hairs' of the focus sensors while NORMAL uses the double 'cross hairs' in each focus point. I've never really found the FINE to be that useful as the NORMAL seems to get a better focus hit (for me).
Is that the same as 'Small' and 'Normal' in the AF Sensitivity setting? If so I never got on with the Small setting either. I found that focusing was too hit or miss. Unfortunately, as you know, my camera is in no fit state for too much experimentation at the moment.

Ron
Old 26th July 2013

Quote:
Is that the same as 'Small' and 'Normal' in the AF Sensitivity setting? If so I never got on with the Small setting either. I found that focusing was too hit or miss. Unfortunately, as you know, my camera is in no fit state for too much experimentation at the moment.

Ron
Yes & I should get my facts right before posting. I'm also sorry about the state of your camera at the moment.
Old 27th July 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

@ Ross - Thanks for the info. I have never come across that before but it works for me.

Thanks Ross + et al

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.