Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-30

Olympus E-30 An Olympus 12.1MP upper mid-range DSLR, the E-30.

Old 2nd March 2012

Liked 2,291 Times in 738 Posts
AF Sensitivity setting

When I am photographing birds with my E-30 I nearly always use a single AF target. However, I sometimes have trouble getting the focus to lock on the bird, especially if it is surrounded by twigs or leaves. I always have the AF Sensitivity set to 'Normal' but I wonder if 'Small' would be a better choice? I tried it once but on that occasion it didn't work very well, although I can't remember what the problem was.

Does anybody use the 'Small' setting and, if so, are there any particular advantages or disadvantages?

Ron
Old 2nd March 2012

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: AF Sensitivity setting

A lot of us use (or perhaps used to - this was discussed back in 2008 I think) the AF area set to 'small', this restricts the focus area to the size of the focus indicator (roughly), by default it is larger.

The other setting worth trying is C-AF Lock to ON, this holds focus even if the distance to the object suddenly changes, in this instance if you wobble slightly onto a closer/further branch.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 2nd March 2012

Thanks Nick. I will have to give it a try. I hadn't thought about using the C-AF Lock. I will read the manual and have a play with it.

It is very frustrating if there is a good bird sitting there and the lens is jumping about trying to get focused.

Ron
Old 2nd March 2012

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I noticed that I get better results with Single+Small AF, when using extrem focal lenght, e.g. 70-300@300mm + EC-14. But this combo does hunt for focus, thats for sure.
Sometimes I feel comfortable with just Single AF, not having it set to Small. This works most often a little faster too. My casual shooting modus is the diamond pattern though.

With my new to me Bigma I am still in the process of getting the focus adjusted. Today was the first day with reasonable weather for this. I used Single AF Point, set to fine, for this again.
Old 2nd March 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I always use the AF single target set to small, especially for wildlife and even for landscapes. It's what I'm used to and if for any reason I change it doesn't work so well. The only other AF mode I use is for in-flight birds against a plain sky when I use CAF all points which is a Myset setting linked to Fn button.

Regards

David
Old 2nd March 2012

It seems I have been wrong, having it set to 'Normal' all this time. I will try it on 'Small' on Sunday, assuming it is not pouring with rain all day.

I set my camera up according to Wrotniak's 'cheat sheet' when I first got it and haven't changed it much since then. I think I need to go through the settings again and see if I can improve anything.

Ron