Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Macro

Macro Getting really close

Old 10th December 2018

Liked 2,781 Times in 1,526 Posts
Laowa 25mm: Hemitrichia at High Magnification and My Favourite Stereo

I am calling this Hemitrichia as a working name but expect it to be correct.

We were about to start a survey at a local National Trust woodland nature reserve and took a look around the periphery of the car park. I looked on the undersides of two well-rotted old fence posts lying on the ground in a grassy area. This is the more photogenic one.

I took a sample home to shoot these images. The FOV is ca 3mm wide.

I love the delicacy of the transparent edge of the cup. The capitillium seems not to be going to expand, or at least not yet.

The (crosseye) stereo is one I could only have made successful with the 25mm lens.

Olympus EM-1 (manual mode), Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5x-5x ultra-macro at f11, triple TTL flash hand-held.

Harold

RobEW (10th December 2018)
Old 10th December 2018

Liked 144 Times in 98 Posts
Re: Laowa 25mm: Hemitrichia at High Magnification and My Favourite Stereo

Nice what you can find if you look hard. And well captured as ever.

Roughly how big are these? Do you mean the whole width of the image is just 3mm in real life?
Old 10th December 2018

Liked 2,781 Times in 1,526 Posts
Re: Laowa 25mm: Hemitrichia at High Magnification and My Favourite Stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Nice what you can find if you look hard. And well captured as ever.

Roughly how big are these? Do you mean the whole width of the image is just 3mm in real life?
Thank. Yes 3.5mm if uncropped. That's with the lens on "x5" which is x10 on m4/3. Magnifications refer to on a full frame sensor.

In the last half hour I just found a lovely group by accident. I was using a small block of the rotten wood to prop up a larger one to photograph a colony. Having finished, as I picked it up to take it outside, I spotted a tiny, fuzzy, yellowish object in one spot and got some lovely images of fruit bodies looking very much like the same species as illustrated here.

Harold