Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 17th November 2018
Stock Shooter

Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
How does one do Smartphone?

My mobile phone is a Samsung GSM which I have on Pay as You Go with Virgin. I only use it for voice and very occasionally SMS. I have never had a Smart phone, but the time seems to have come where I am not sure that I want one, but I am beginning to think I need one.

I spoke to Virgin and asked whether I could continue with my existing contract, if I bought myself a smart phone. Answer – no you can’t.

Until I get, and start to use, a smart phone I have no idea what my usage will be.

What I was wondering was, if I were to buy a new Huwai P20 Lite (about £250) and get it unlocked but with no SIM, can I go into a supermarket and buy a data SIM that they have beside the check out, put the SIM in the phone and start to use it?

Will I be able to do useful things with it and my EM1 and EM5ii?

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
Old 17th November 2018

Liked 416 Times in 285 Posts
Re: How does one do Smartphone?

Data sims have lots of options. Personally I’ve bought an unlocked phone and use a Tesco sim only contract (tenner a month) and my wife uses a half price BT sim (cos we’ve got BT Broadband) and that does all we want. Technically I’d have thought you could get away with a non data sim but you’d be limited to Wi-fi.
Old 17th November 2018

Liked 125 Times in 87 Posts

As for E-M1 and E-M5 II,both can be set up as a Wifi hotspot and you can connect your phone and use Olympus OI Share app to do various activities - e.g. remotely control the camera, or download photos.
Old 17th November 2018

Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

You should be able to use it as a wireless remote control for a camera on a tripod, with a preview of the phone's screen.

Yes you can largely buy any SIM and use it on an unlocked phone straight away, though I'm not familiar with that model; I use a Google Nexus 5, which is adequate for my needs.

Check out your phone/broadband supplier, who may well have a goos SIM only deal on offer at the moment for a cheap monthly contract. I'm actually with Tesco on a 30 day only contract, so I can more or less cancel and move providers any time.

I'm a fairly light user, but have things like Facebook on all the time, which does use up your data allowance, but I never go above 1 Gb per month.
Don't forget to get the code from your current provider, so you can port your existing mobile number over to your new airtime provider, if you're changing suppliers.

Personally, I'd now make sure I bought a phone with a memory slot, most do these days, to allow extra storage space over that resident in the new phone.

As an old fogey who doesn't want to carry a charger everywhere, be sure to check out the battery life of your proposed purchase; they are a lot more power hungry than a plain old GSM phone.
Lots of really useful software out there, both free and paid for; Suggest looking at Depth of Field Master, Maps.Me, The Photographers Ephemeris.

Also consider where you're most likely to need to use it and make sure you proposed supplier has good coverage in that area.
e.g. Tesco and GiffGaff hang off O2's network, whereas some other virtual providers might hang off EE or another airtime supplier.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 17th November 2018

Liked 1,333 Times in 854 Posts

I been using giffgaff for few years and had no problems. Not sure if it's still the best value though.

I agree - mobile phone battery life is usually dire. I have a couple of battery packs I can charge that I often carry.

Android Auto is a pretty good car navigation system (but for me has a few bugs). The google maps it uses are more up to date than my TomTom satnav, and you don't have to pay for them.

Jim
Old 17th November 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,443 Times in 832 Posts

I have a very old Orange SIM “running on EE” in an iPhone 6 Plus.

I get 1GB of data each time I top up £10 and sometimes that can last up to 3 months for calls & text, but the data runs out in a month.

90% of the time I attach to WiFi hotspots, never ever using it for financial transactions.

In total it costs me £60 to £80 per year...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 18th November 2018

Thanked 1,065 Times in 665 Posts
Liked 1,352 Times in 664 Posts

Not sure if this will help, or muddy the water even more... There is an option called 1p Mobile https://www.1pmobile.com/ which might be worth searching out. Basically, you pay 1p per call, per text etc.

You need to top up every 3 months or so. - minimum £10 - what you don't use carries over. Might be worth an online chat to see what gives.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Keith-369 (18th November 2018)
Old 18th November 2018
Stock Shooter

Thanks everyone for the many useful replies.

To my basic question, about whether I can buy a new phone, fit it with a data Sim and start using it, gets an only slightly qualified yes, so I thank you for that.

The reason I had been thinking about buying a Huawei P20 Lite, was simply that it seemed a capable piece of kit and is available for just over £200, but something smaller and cheaper may also do the job.

For this new venture, I would rather buy new than second hand.

But thinking further, it seems that my idea of having this new phone for data only does not make any sense, it should also handle the few calls and SMS messages I make.

One advantage of my existing phone is that it has a nice easy to remember number.

If I start buying a new SIM every time I run out of data, will this mean that I will have a new phone number every time? It would not matter for data use but would be a nuisance for incoming calls.

I have BT Broadband but they are difficult to deal with now that the do not have shops anymore, at least not in my area.

If I go into, say, an EE shop, will they sell me a SIM and change the number to my existing one?

Old 18th November 2018

Liked 1,333 Times in 854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
If I go into, say, an EE shop, will they sell me a SIM and change the number to my existing one?
To transfer your number you need to contact your current provider and ask for the 'PAC' (Porting Authorisation Code) for your phone. You then put a new SIM in your new phone and contact the new provider to tell them the code. They will then make the switch of your number to your new phone:

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guid...-phone-number/

You don't have to buy a new SIM. If you go to (say) giffgaff's site, they'll send you one:

https://www.giffgaff.com/

With giffgaff (and probably others) you're not locked into a contract. You decide what allowance for a month will suit you (£5 upwards) and if it's too much or too little, revise it before the month runs out. Towards the end of the month, giffgaff contacts you to tell you if you need more or less allowance, of if it's just right.

Jim
Old 18th November 2018

Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,285 Posts
Liked 1,127 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
...If I start buying a new SIM every time I run out of data, will this mean that I will have a new phone number every time? ...
I suspect that your current sim has no data plan which is why you can't use it in a new smart phone. Also, if it is an old phone you will finds that newer phones use a physically smaller sim. In itself this is not a problem as the provider will issue you with a replacement sim of the correct size when contacted (perhaps charging a modest fee of around £10 if you are unlucky). You will need to find the physical size of the sim needed in your new phone (mini, micro, or nano) so that when you get your new sim you can ask for one of the correct size.

Whatever contract you switch to with your new sim you will be able to "top up" if you go over your minutes/text/data allowance so you will not need a new sim and new phone number when you run out of your allowance. For "pay as you go" contracts this can normally be done from the phone by ringing the customer service line (this is probably a short number like 151) and following the menu system (something like press "1" for your account, press "4" to top up, etc) and entering your credit card number. For a rolling monthly contract (you pay a fixed amount on direct debit per month for a set amount of minutes/text/data and the conract keeps going with a one month notice to cancel) any extra minutes/text/data you use in that month over your fixed amount will be charged at the stated rate.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 18th November 2018

Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

I have a Motorola G5 on o2 classic pay as you go.
Very rarely use data, but when I do its 1p per mb, calls are 3p a min and texts 2p
Also get 10% of any top up back at the end of every month (if I have topped up in that calender month)
O2 priority is handy if you attend live music gigs, priority queue was great last week at Brixton Academy.
Whole package with a tenner credit was less than 200 quid, I use the phone with the Panasonic image app and my GX9 can be triggered by Bluetooth.
Whatever you get make sure your apps are set to upgrade only when connected to wifi. If you don't that will soon burn through a good few quid of your balance.
Old 18th November 2018
Stock Shooter

Tram,

Thanks for that, I can get to an O2 shop in the next couple of days, and with your help, I will now be able to ask them some intelligent questions. . .

Old 19th November 2018

Liked 486 Times in 259 Posts

While you are all on this subject of prepaid phone cards, Which company is the best for 1 month use? I am only interested in data. Maybe a call or 2 for the Uber/Grab. I think 1 or 2 GBs worth of data should be sufficient.

All my garbage so far.
Old 19th November 2018

Liked 648 Times in 417 Posts

I used to have an Orange PAYG account but once they changed to EE their service became terrible. Every time I tried to buy a data bundle the web site was either down or it took my money and didn't give me the data. Going into an EE shop was useless as all they did was phone the same customer service (sic) line I could do myself and it took ages to sort out. I do not recommend EE. As I have BT Broadband I took them up on their offer of a fiver a month for 400 minutes, 500MB and unlimited texts. Not a single problem so far in the couple of years I've been with them. In fact as a "reward for being a loyal customer" they recently doubled my data to 1GB and my BT Cloud storage to 1TB. To be honest, since you have BT Broadband, they are probably your best bet. They'll send you a free SIM, just request it on line, and there's no need to go into a shop - the monthly charge just gets added to your phone bill. I use a second-hand iPhone 6 I got on eBay and that's been fine, while a couple of friends have Motorola G series and speak very highly of them. Good luck!
Old 19th November 2018

Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Tram,

Thanks for that, I can get to an O2 shop in the next couple of days, and with your help, I will now be able to ask them some intelligent questions. . .
I'll stand to be corrected, but I'm not sure that O2 offer the best deals for your requirements.

Have a look HERE and sort by lowest price.
Personally, if you're not really sure what are your needs, I'd go for a monthly contract, rather than getting tied into a 12 month one.
That way, you can change to something more suitable without penalty.

Plusnet doesn't look too bad price wise, though clearly I don't know your requirements.

You will need the PAC number from your current supplier to port your number over to the new SIM card.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following User Says Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
blu-by-u (19th November 2018)