Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 14th August 2018

Thanked 1,221 Times in 966 Posts
Liked 1,735 Times in 983 Posts
Thumbs up A rare bargain price for a tripod.

I was lucky enough to see a new ebay seller put up some tripods at a ridiculously low price last night. The item was the "Zomei Z699C Carbon Fiber Tripod 5 Section Monopod Portable Ball Head For DSLR" selling at AU$25.99 (at a 100% rating) with free shipping as well. I had been looking at them after they had been recommended to me & thought I might eventually get a nice light tripod for the odd occasion of needing one (for panos & selfies ), although I do have a heavier alloy one. So I jumped on it at that unbelievably low price & now I am waiting for it to arrive to see how good it is for such a low price (reviews have been good so far). They normally sell these from AU$89 & upwards, with it typically being around AU$150. Now my wife has asked if I got a second one for a family member for Christmas. I didn't think of it but should have when there were only two left. I probably won't see another at such a low price again, so I guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that Christmas present now. Such is life!

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (15th August 2018), SueGS (23rd August 2018), Thermotec (15th August 2018)
Old 14th August 2018

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Re: A rare bargain price for a tripod.

Ross,

I have to admit I'm jealous - that's a fantastic deal! I actually use that exact tripod and it has never let me down having been used and abused in the UK, Bali, and currently Canada. The only thing I would recommend is keeping the central column short and using the hook for a counterweight when possible, it really is a light tripod so it can get blown around a bit!

Em1ii, GX7, 12-40 Pro, 60mm Macro, 40-150 Pro, PanaLeica 100-400mm, Sigma 30mm f1.4 & 16mm f1.4 and more bags than I can shake a tripod at :/

www.taberham.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to BTaberham For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (14th August 2018)
Old 14th August 2018

Liked 216 Times in 70 Posts

I have the alloy version of it, and am really impressed, especially at the price (not as good as your price though). All I’d say is make sure the hook at the bottom of the colum is tightened up properly, mine came off the first time I used it, it was dark too so was a pig to find! but ever since it’s been perfect.
The Following User Says Thank You to chris For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (14th August 2018)
Old 14th August 2018

Thanks for the replies. I checked the tracking & the number had been received yesterday afternoon & then this morning an email said it was coming today & then I had an early (before 8am) knock on the door for delivery. My normal parcel post doesn't get here till the afternoon, so I was rather pleasantly surprised to see it this morning. It looks great!

I just can't get over the cheap price they had them (6) for (even with the option to make an offer, as if I would offer lower, not! ). The next best price at the moment was $89 & I think it is definitely worth paying that for the tripod. Some ebayers have it priced at $200 (wishful thinkers!). Obviously being a new ebayer in Sydney they wanted to make a good start, but ...... The ball head seems to be good too.

Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 15th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I have the alloy version of it, and am really impressed, especially at the price (not as good as your price though). All I’d say is make sure the hook at the bottom of the colum is tightened up properly, mine came off the first time I used it, it was dark too so was a pig to find! but ever since it’s been perfect.
I had another look to see what may be available & one seller (in NSW) had the alloy version (with 5% off as well) at $56 so I've got him the Christmas present. It's only 180gm heavier & he's much younger & fitter than me. All other tripods (of same models etc) were much more expensive ($79 or over $100).

I'm really pleased with mine. I've put the purple bag over my alternative levelling base with indexed pano head when I want to get serious for that otherwise the ball head looks good.

Old 15th August 2018

Thanked 1,065 Times in 665 Posts
Liked 1,352 Times in 664 Posts

You really struck gold with that price-point. The cheapest I've seen one in the UK - earlier in the year - was just over £120.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (15th August 2018)
Old 17th August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
You really struck gold with that price-point. The cheapest I've seen one in the UK - earlier in the year - was just over £120.
You're right Wally. I was so overawed by the low price I didn't think about my son-in-law appreciating one as well. I've bought the alloy version cheap enough instead, but I will be watching if another 'steal' of a price comes up on a carbon fibre model again. I noticed on the feedback from others that they had offered a lower amount ($2 & $3 off $25.99) since that option was there. I wasn't going to be so tight when it was already at a 'give away' price, with free postage. They were also selling the Q666 at $27.99 but someone had bought two at $25.99 (as showing in the feedback).

Anyhow, I struck gold this time instead buying stuff that went to the bin later (a cheap & nasty tripod head).

Old 2nd September 2018

Quote:
I have the alloy version of it, and am really impressed, especially at the price (not as good as your price though). All Iíd say is make sure the hook at the bottom of the colum is tightened up properly, mine came off the first time I used it, it was dark too so was a pig to find! but ever since itís been perfect.
A little update since my glowing review. Today the zip on the carry bag burst, and more annoyingly, last week the spring in the head clamp went kaput. Itís still perfectly useable, just not spring loaded, until I get a replacement spring.
Old 2nd September 2018

Quote:
A little update since my glowing review. Today the zip on the carry bag burst, and more annoyingly, last week the spring in the head clamp went kaput. It’s still perfectly useable, just not spring loaded, until I get a replacement spring.
That's a bit sad, but zips can go on anything though. I have since bought two of the Z699(A) tripods as presents for others (both use Canon 50D cameras), the first one cost me $56 (as I mentioned earlier) & later the seller dropped the price to $39 so now waiting for that one to arrive. I had bought another CF tripod made by Beike (SL288C for $38) as well as a nice tabletop aluminium version (QZSD Q166A for a bargain $16) for myself, but the leg angle was too narrow for my liking so I filed back the first stops on both to get more leg spread in the first position. They do not have spring loaded latches like the Zomei but stoppers that slide in & out with resistance from the sticky grease they use (in fluid heads too), but I think I may update that with crinkle washers instead of the flat ones used so I get a more positive movement since the leg support relies on it. I think they have modelled that design on Benro tripods. That tripod will also go to another family member for Christmas. Now everyone (well a few) family members are getting tripods for Christmas.

You said the "spring in the head clamp" went, but where exactly do you mean? I have a Vanguard ball head that will now be kept as a backup if I need it.

Old 2nd September 2018

The piece you tighten onto your camera plate or L bracket has a spring in it so it opens as you loosen the screw knob. Mine now doesn’t, so when I loosen the knob, the clamp is loose but doesn’t open itself. It still tightens and holds the camera perfectly securely though. It’s an easy fix with a spring of the right size though, but not totally necessary.
Old 3rd September 2018

Quote:
The piece you tighten onto your camera plate or L bracket has a spring in it so it opens as you loosen the screw knob. Mine now doesn’t, so when I loosen the knob, the clamp is loose but doesn’t open itself. It still tightens and holds the camera perfectly securely though. It’s an easy fix with a spring of the right size though, but not totally necessary.
Thanks for that. I actually bought more of those heads to put on other gear, like a Joby copy etc, but I had also replaced the top of the ball head of Z699C with the pan head I had (I have a indexing pan head atop a levelling head now when I need it). The inner levels aren't accurate, but the external bubble is OK.

Pan head on Z699C tripod ball haed by Ross, on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
chris (3rd September 2018)