Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 6 Days Ago
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 13,320
Thanks: 1,988
Thanked 1,258 Times in 991 Posts
Likes: 5,003
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,031 Posts
Some 'wet day' doggy photos.

What else does one do on a wet day (not raining at this time), but take some 'doggy' photos.

"Mmmmm.. Grass!"


K3167073-cr by Ross, on Flickr

"What fell on my head?"

K3167092-cr by Ross, on Flickr

"You taking photos of me again?!"

K3167101-adj by Ross, on Flickr

"That worried look."

K3167140-cr by Ross, on Flickr

The typical 'Toby' look.

K3167145-cr by Ross, on Flickr
All taken with E-M1 II with 40-150 + MC14

__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (5 Days Ago), OM USer (5 Days Ago), Zuiko (4 Days Ago)
  #2  
Old 6 Days Ago
Dave in Wales's Avatar
Dave in Wales Dave in Wales is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Wales
Posts: 983
Thanks: 57
Thanked 134 Times in 107 Posts
Likes: 125
Liked 568 Times in 198 Posts
Re: Some 'wet day' doggy photos.

Just luv-em Ross, esp 3 and 4
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave in Wales For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (6 Days Ago)
  #3  
Old 5 Days Ago
Dave in Wales's Avatar
Dave in Wales Dave in Wales is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Wales
Posts: 983
Thanks: 57
Thanked 134 Times in 107 Posts
Likes: 125
Liked 568 Times in 198 Posts
Re: Some 'wet day' doggy photos.

Hello Ross,

The quality of your posted images is something I can only dream of and have never been able to achieve.

Might I ask that you share your secrets
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave in Wales For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (5 Days Ago)
  #4  
Old 5 Days Ago
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 13,320
Thanks: 1,988
Thanked 1,258 Times in 991 Posts
Likes: 5,003
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,031 Posts
Re: Some 'wet day' doggy photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
Hello Ross,

The quality of your posted images is something I can only dream of and have never been able to achieve.

Might I ask that you share your secrets
Ummmmm, I point & shoot! I dunno. I just see something & try to make something of it.
EDIT: I do crop for composition too.

__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 5 Days Ago
Dave in Wales's Avatar
Dave in Wales Dave in Wales is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Wales
Posts: 983
Thanks: 57
Thanked 134 Times in 107 Posts
Likes: 125
Liked 568 Times in 198 Posts
Re: Some 'wet day' doggy photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Ummmmm, I point & shoot! I dunno. I just see something & try to make something of it.
EDIT: I do crop for composition too.

Thanks Ross, as well as good compositional results how do you PP your shots to achieve the technical quality?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 4 Days Ago
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 13,320
Thanks: 1,988
Thanked 1,258 Times in 991 Posts
Likes: 5,003
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,031 Posts
Re: Some 'wet day' doggy photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
Thanks Ross, as well as good compositional results how do you PP your shots to achieve the technical quality?
When I use I Capture One I usually apply a little Clarity (usually at #10) & maybe adjust saturation up to #7 in that program (depending on the lighting & exposure), plus I will often adjust Shadow & Highlights a little to suit too, but always trying to keep it looking reasonably natural. With Oly Workspace I have been using the Clarity slider from 10-15 & applying their other new feature, Dehaze where necessary too, plus some careful highlight & shadow adjustments if needed, but the Highlights can't be recovered as well as Capture One can do though. Also, if I upload a reduced size image (like in my gallery) I always add some sharpness (3 or 4, depending on size) so the detail doesn't appear soft in the reduced size image (something I learnt from advice here when I started posting). My recent photos in Flickr are mostly uploaded full size & displayed in the appropriate chosen size when sharing, so the full size image is available for viewing if desired too. Also, as I said above, I will crop if needed so the composition is ideal (as best as I can see at the time) as I did for all the above (you can check the original uploaded size in Flickr to see how much I cropped it from 5184 x 3888 of the E-M1 II files). I hope that conveys what you're asking for.

__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bearair (4 Days Ago)
  #7  
Old 4 Days Ago
Dave in Wales's Avatar
Dave in Wales Dave in Wales is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West Wales
Posts: 983
Thanks: 57
Thanked 134 Times in 107 Posts
Likes: 125
Liked 568 Times in 198 Posts
Re: Some 'wet day' doggy photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
When I use I Capture One I usually apply a little Clarity (usually at #10) & maybe adjust saturation up to #7 in that program (depending on the lighting & exposure), plus I will often adjust Shadow & Highlights a little to suit too, but always trying to keep it looking reasonably natural. With Oly Workspace I have been using the Clarity slider from 10-15 & applying their other new feature, Dehaze where necessary too, plus some careful highlight & shadow adjustments if needed, but the Highlights can't be recovered as well as Capture One can do though. Also, if I upload a reduced size image (like in my gallery) I always add some sharpness (3 or 4, depending on size) so the detail doesn't appear soft in the reduced size image (something I learnt from advice here when I started posting). My recent photos in Flickr are mostly uploaded full size & displayed in the appropriate chosen size when sharing, so the full size image is available for viewing if desired too. Also, as I said above, I will crop if needed so the composition is ideal (as best as I can see at the time) as I did for all the above (you can check the original uploaded size in Flickr to see how much I cropped it from 5184 x 3888 of the E-M1 II files). I hope that conveys what you're asking for.

Very many thanks Ross, most informative.

My stuff seems to go wrong between me uploading a reduced image to Flickr and display. I'll give the 'increasing the sharpness' a try before uploading.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave in Wales For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (4 Days Ago)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doggy portrait Phil Angel Foto Fair 10 28th September 2014 05:58 PM
Doggy Portraits. PeterBirder Foto Fair 3 21st July 2014 07:07 AM
Doggy Delight brian1208 Foto Fair 21 14th February 2014 03:40 PM
How Much Is That Doggy In Focus? Zuiko Looking for improvement 23 17th August 2013 10:30 PM
Soggy Doggy shenstone Foto Fair 2 3rd June 2008 11:22 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:21 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger