Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 15th November 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E M-1 M mode with legacy glass? Help needed.

Hi,
My E-M1 has arrived from Taiwan
Lovely camera and great EVF. Its good for manual focusing my legacy glass, but it might be a bit quicker with focus peaking. Trouble is I can't seem to switch it on.
I've set FP on for M focus in settings, and I can set a Fn button to give magnification.
However, FP only seems to work with a m43 lens in M mode and there doesn't seem to be an option to switch it on via a Fn button (or even the settings) for an OM or Leica manual lens via an adaptor.
So does FP work with legacy glass or not?
Thanks
Brendan
Old 15th November 2013

Liked 307 Times in 150 Posts
Re: E M-1 M mode with legacy glass? Help needed.

For some reason only Olympus could explain setting FP on the menu does not work with other lenses (including FT). To get FP to work you need to assign FP to one of the buttons. I have set the preview button for MF (button 10 p 10) and FP to the white balance button (button 9 p10).

Hope this helps.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 15th November 2013

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I don't have legacy glass with me here at work, so I can't test thoroughly. However, since there's no communication between the camera & the lens, the camera doesn't know when you change focus and that's why automatic focus peaking doesn't work (like it does with FT and MFT lenses).

You can assign a button to toggle focus peaking on and off. Go into the cogwheel menu, select buttons, select a button you don't need much and go through the options until you find focus peaking. I chose "rec" for now, but I'm still figuring out what button functions I need customized. (I find having "myset1" on one of the buttons to be a big help, resetting camera settings to something reasonable with a single touch of a button.)
Old 15th November 2013

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

I have set fn1 for magnify and fn2 for peaking...working very well with the old silvernose 50mm.
Only thing I dont have control over yet is that the peaking is disabled with a half press of the shutter and returns on release of the shutter button
Old 15th November 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I have FP assigned to AEL button. If you select Magnify, without actually magnifying then that switches on IS and you can focus using FP without pressing the release button.

David