Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-PL1

Olympus Pen E-PL1 The, even smaller, more affordable and easier to use Pen from Olympus.

Old 27th December 2011
toastie

E-PL1 v E-PL3

basically is the 3 worth the extra cost over and above the 1?
Old 28th December 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,007 Times in 2,338 Posts
Liked 4,150 Times in 1,940 Posts
Re: E-PL1 v E-PL3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
That's hard to say and in many ways depends on what you are willing to pay for a camera. As I said in my reply on your other thread, the PL1 twin kit represents fantastic (almost unbelievable) value for money. The PL3 is the latest camera in the range, released fairly recently, and as such still sells at a premium price.

It is true that if you can afford the extra money and are willing to spend it on a camera the PL3 has some definite improvements over the PL1. For a start it has a really neat flip-out screen for extra versatility when composing a picture. It also has improved focusing speed and what many will regard as improved handling due to the inclusion of a control wheel as well as buttons. Frame rate is now 5fps instead of 3fps, albeit for a fairly short burst. The styling is smarter and more up to date, although I cannot comment on the quality of construction compared to the PL1 as I have not handled a PL3.

Only you can decide if what the PL3 has to offer is worth the extra money.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th December 2011
toastie

Me making a decision is where the whole thing fails I'm afraid as its not my area of expertise
The pl3 is available for 549 again from jessops and they will exchange the one my wife bought for it but its another 200 on top of what she paid! The main reason I like it is the flip out screen but the flash looks fidly and prone to getting lost as its seperate from the camera but the build quality looks better it seems to have a metal body but from what you said in your other post I take it that through lenses are the same plastic ones that come with the pl1?
Old 28th December 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Me making a decision is where the whole thing fails I'm afraid as its not my area of expertise
The pl3 is available for 549 again from jessops and they will exchange the one my wife bought for it but its another 200 on top of what she paid! The main reason I like it is the flip out screen but the flash looks fidly and prone to getting lost as its seperate from the camera but the build quality looks better it seems to have a metal body but from what you said in your other post I take it that through lenses are the same plastic ones that come with the pl1?
The lenses, I believe, are the updated versions that are able to take full advantage of the camera's improved focus speed, but image quality and construction are definitely the same. It is the plastic mounts which disappoint me somewhat, plastic is nowadays used in the barrels of even top of the range lenses and the Olympus Zuiko optics are, of course glass which match or exceed those of rival systems at every price point.

My dislike of plastic mounts is probably illogical and based more on tradition than fact. My E-510 DSLR (now used by my wife) has a kit zoom lens with plastic mount, which shows no sign of wear after 3 or 4 years. Modern plastics are, in fact, very high quality. Olympus DSLR users who own an E-1, E-3, or E-5 (I have an E-3) are used to an almost unprecidented level of robustness and weatherproofing, both in camera bodies and lenses. Those are the cameras to use if you want one that is virtually submersible and can be used to club a mugger senseless! But for those of us who don't actually take our cameras into the harshest environments on Earth or a war zone on a daily basis, plastic mounts won't really make much difference. I hasten to add that it is only the kit lenses in the range that have these mounts, the rest are stainless steel. The overall construction of the kit lenses is, in fact, surprisingly good considering their compactness and very low weight. The zoom rings feel firm and positive and there is no excess play or sloppyness.

Only you can decide if the upgrade is worth the extra 200. It may be, just for your peace of mind. On the other hand, 200 would buy you a VF-2 electronic viewfinder, which is really excellent! Value for money is very much a matter of perception and what you can afford; On paper my upgrade to the P3 was very dubious value for money, but the improved handling and user experience made it worth it for me on a personal level. However, I was only able to afford it by selling a lot of unused photographic equipment in advance to finance it!

What I woukld recommend is that you handle both cameras side by side in a Jessops store and take your time, it's an important decision. Not only can you compare the features and the build quality, but how well each camera fits in your hand, how accessible and easy to use are the controlls and, crucially, do you find the predominant button pushing of the PL1 more natural or do you prefer the thumbwheel operation of the PL3.

Good luck in making your decision; whatever you decide you will have a great camera!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th December 2011

Liked 807 Times in 289 Posts

To add to John's excellent and comprehensive summary I would say the VF-2 is
almost worth it's weight in gold (not quite but almost).
I pretty much use my E-PL2 exclusively with the VF-2 and eye cup, I wouldn't be without it

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 28th December 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I agree with Huw (Greytop); I'd spend the 200 on a vf-2, great addition to the camera.

The E-PL1 is well made, I've had mine for 18 months+ and it isn't showing anykind of wear. It's the same sensor as later PEN series cameras, and was (I think) the first of the PENs to use the lighter AA filter (found in the E-5) so is gloriously sharp.

Only real drawback is the max shutter speed (1/2000 against 1/4000 for tle E-PL3), so very occaisionally with fast lenses in bright conditions you may have issues with shallow dof shots.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 28th December 2011

Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,163 Posts
Liked 1,739 Times in 879 Posts

Must say that the lack of 1/4000th shutter speed wouldn't be much of a problem for me I don't seem to ever go out on days that bright
At the price you got the kit I'd still be grinning from ear to ear at what a bargain it was and definitely be spending that extra 200 on a vf-2.
Old 28th December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Hi John, plenty to think about then
Judging by the answers here and on TZ-UK I would stick with the E-PL1 and see how you get on with it, then if you still want to change, you would have a more informed opinion if the change is worth it. By this time the price of the E-PL3 might have come down or there might be more second hand ones to have a go at. Don't forget you will already have the lenses so you only need to swap the body.

Mike
yorky (28th December 2011), Zuiko (28th December 2011)
Old 28th December 2011

Liked 162 Times in 112 Posts

Two good points ;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
...I'd spend the 200 on a vf-2, great addition to the camera.
The E-PL1 is well made, ...
I bought an e-pL1 specifically to go with the VF-2 as the best value-per-pound deal. I almost bought the viewfinder first!
If the choice is between the new e-pL3 without viewfinder, and the older e-pL1 with viewfinder ... well, there is no contest for me.
Old 28th December 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Two good points ;

I bought an e-pL1 specifically to go with the VF-2 as the best value-per-pound deal. I almost bought the viewfinder first!
If the choice is between the new e-pL3 without viewfinder, and the older e-pL1 with viewfinder ... well, there is no contest for me.
And this man knows what he is talking about, he wins competitions!

Old 28th December 2011
toastie

well i took it out of the box and had a quick play and i have to say i am very impressed so thanks o everyone for talking me into keeping it
Old 28th December 2011
toastie

just tried to post some pictures but i dont have enough post so will have to post them up later
Old 28th December 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
just tried to post some pictures but i dont have enough post so will have to post them up later

I just use Photobucket, never got my head around this forums own hosting gallery

Mike

Last edited by TRIPLEPOT; 28th December 2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: no longer relevant
Old 28th December 2011
toastie

well i have to say i am very impressed with the camera after a quick play and everything set to auto here are a couple of quick snaps using the cheap olympus macro adapter thing

Old 28th December 2011
Smiffy

Nothing wrong with either of those for first "snaps". Nice ones.
I have been clicking away over the holidays with mine, just getting used to all the features and controls. Just odd piccies of the family etc.
Nothing worth posting yet, but it's early days!
Seriously tempted to pull the trigger on a Panny 14mm.
For 120.00 inc delivery, it's a bit of a bargain
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PANASO...item4aab0f5e6f