Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 8th November 2011

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Changing system

*gulp*

I am thinking of changing system and may well have the folllowing up for sale v soon, all in great condition, boxed, caps etc.

E620
Battery grip
12-60mm
70-300mm
50mm f.2
Metz 58 (Oly fit with stofen diffuser).

Just a heads up, feel free to make offers etc, if I do take the plunge it will all have to go leaving me just the e400 and kit lenses in 4/3.

I will know by the weeks end if it's going.
Old 8th November 2011

Liked 295 Times in 147 Posts
Re: Changing system

Hi

Do you think changing systems will improve your photography? If so in which way!!

You have some mighty fine lenses there capable of superb results.......

Regards

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 8th November 2011

yes I know Tom.

I don't think it will improve my photography atm, it's pretty crap compared to some of the spectacular images I have seen on this forum.

I am looking to learn over the next few years with a view to developing my currrent(extremely modest) income from pics into a meaningful pension supplement.

I think (and i may be wrong!) that full frame gives me the best chance of achieving that. The E5 is just too expensive, for what it is, as a realistic upgrade path. I want to start to master "pro" grade gear now while there are no financial pressures.

If it was an option I wouldn't sell anything and just buy something else to try, who knows I may be back to Oly 4/3 if it doesn't work out!

This forum is great and I'm keeping the E400 as an excuse to keep visiting!

*edited due to dyslexic fingers
Old 8th November 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,063 Times in 2,381 Posts
Liked 4,276 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponner View Post
yes I know Tom.

I don't think it will improve my photography atm, it's pretty crap compared to some of the spectacular images I have seen on this forum.

I am looking to learn over the next few years with a view to developing my currrent(extremely modest) income from pics into a meaningful pension supplement.

I think (and i may be wrong!) that full frame gives me the best chance of achieving that. The E5 is just too expensive, for what it is, as a realistic upgrade path. I want to start to master "pro" grade gear now while there are no financial pressures.

If it was an option I wouldn't sell anything and just buy something else to try, who knows I may be back to Oly 4/3 if it doesn't work out!

This forum is great and I'm keeping the E400 as an excuse to keep visiting!

*edited due to dyslexic fingers
I'm not sure that full frame will increase your earnings potential, unless you do a lot of low light photography. However, confidence is a phsycological thing and sometimes using a camera that gives you confidence can inspire you to better pictures. I often feel that the E-3 helps me punch above my weight - having confidence in your camera helps give you confidence in yourself and allows you to concentrate on the picture without worrying about your gear. So, on that basis, it might work - but don't be too surprised if it doesn't!

Either way, it doesn't seem that money is a problem for you at the moment so why not? I'm glad you're going to keep in touch here, though, and if you do change I hope it works for you.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th November 2011

Liked 849 Times in 305 Posts

I would say think very hard before changing to the point of running both systems in parallel for a decent amount of time before you commit.
I only say this from experience, it is without doubt an expensive exercise, particularly in my case because 1 1/2 to 2 years later I was back with Olympus again.
And again from experience (sorry I keep saying that) you will find positives and negatives will all gear, nothing is perfect.... the grass is not always greener, in fact again 'from experience' I know it's not, it's just a different shade

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (8th November 2011)
Old 8th November 2011
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
I would say think very hard before changing to the point of running both systems in parallel for a decent amount of time before you commit.
I only say this from experience, it is without doubt an expensive exercise, particularly in my case because 1 1/2 to 2 years later I was back with Olympus again.
And again from experience (sorry I keep saying that) you will find positives and negatives will all gear, nothing is perfect.... the grass is not always greener, in fact again 'from experience' I know it's not, it's just a different shade
Interesting thread specially when Olympus seems to be in a transitional period. Can I ask what other system you tried?
Old 9th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippledsandwich View Post
Interesting thread specially when Olympus seems to be in a transitional period. Can I ask what other system you tried?
Pentax, initially a K20D followed by a K-7,
built up a reasonable selection of lenses comprising of...
DA* 16-50 f/2.8, DA* 60-250 f/4, DFA 100 f/2.8 Macro, DA 35 Ltd, FA 28 f/2.8, FA 50 f/1.4 DA 18-55 WR, DA 50-200
together with a AF-360FGZ flash.

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 9th November 2011

I don't mind sharing what kit I have tried at all.

Started from scratch 12 months ago with E510 (second hand) of ebay on a whim.

Looked for something to "do" with camera and found stock photography.

Realised I loved it but had LOADS to learn

Sold it a few months later and bought E620 twin lens kit new off Kerso.

Carried on with stock, by FAR the best investment I made was the 50 mm f2 macro lens, simply stunningly sharp.

Found this forum.

Realised stock is boring and want to be a better artisitc photographer (while adding to stock stuff).

Recently started to think my kit was a bit limited (low light mainly), espeacially after shooting a wedding with someone using a Nikon D7000 with a good 2.8 zoom. (There is NO way I'm going into wedding photography btw!)

hence i am where I am now.

I really like my gear but want to develop an income stream gradually over 6 years or so, giving myself time to grow at a realistic pace in spare time. At the moment the main limiting factor is certainly ME!

@Zuiko money isn't a "problem" only in as much I can sell my kit and some other stuff to raise the 2000 or so for a Canon 5d and a good L series lens, believe me it will sting and I will be back to one lens, but, I need to develop and I see more future in learning on a system with greater longevity.

The E5 has limitations that, for the money, just don't add up for me.

This may sound weird as I have just over 12 months experience to go on but I am really reluctant to leave the e620-4/3 thing behind. If money really was no problem I would get an E5 tomorrow and a second system as well but I have to be realistic. With a about 220 images online I have only made about 600 so far but it is growing!
Old 9th November 2011

The lesson I learnt changing systems and back again is that you should consider the system as a whole.
4/3rds big strength is the wonderful range of Zuiko lenses, particularly the zooms. Other systems do genuinely struggle to compete with Oly glass unless you spend a fortune.
My tuppence worth

Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 9th November 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,063 Times in 2,381 Posts
Liked 4,276 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote:
I don't mind sharing what kit I have tried at all.

Started from scratch 12 months ago with E510 (second hand) of ebay on a whim.

Looked for something to "do" with camera and found stock photography.

Realised I loved it but had LOADS to learn

Sold it a few months later and bought E620 twin lens kit new off Kerso.

Carried on with stock, by FAR the best investment I made was the 50 mm f2 macro lens, simply stunningly sharp.

Found this forum.

Realised stock is boring and want to be a better artisitc photographer (while adding to stock stuff).

Recently started to think my kit was a bit limited (low light mainly), espeacially after shooting a wedding with someone using a Nikon D7000 with a good 2.8 zoom. (There is NO way I'm going into wedding photography btw!)

hence i am where I am now.

I really like my gear but want to develop an income stream gradually over 6 years or so, giving myself time to grow at a realistic pace in spare time. At the moment the main limiting factor is certainly ME!

@Zuiko money isn't a "problem" only in as much I can sell my kit and some other stuff to raise the 2000 or so for a Canon 5d and a good L series lens, believe me it will sting and I will be back to one lens, but, I need to develop and I see more future in learning on a system with greater longevity.

The E5 has limitations that, for the money, just don't add up for me.

This may sound weird as I have just over 12 months experience to go on but I am really reluctant to leave the e620-4/3 thing behind. If money really was no problem I would get an E5 tomorrow and a second system as well but I have to be realistic. With a about 220 images online I have only made about 600 so far but it is growing!
If you've made 600 in a year from 220 images I'd say you are doing very well.

Why not hire a 5DII for a weekend to see how you get on with it?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th November 2011

Liked 1,294 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
If you've made 600 in a year from 220 images I'd say you are doing very well.
Oh for the days when stock agencies only accepted Kodachrome or Velvia and there was real money in it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 9th November 2011
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
With a about 220 images online I have only made about 600 so far but it is growing!
That sounds really promising mate, would you mind putting a link up to your work?
Greytop (9th November 2011)
Old 9th November 2011

Thanked 1,286 Times in 1,199 Posts
Liked 1,971 Times in 957 Posts

600 in a year that sounds pretty good to me too. It would certainly go some way to offset lens buying. How do you go about selling your images? I'd like to see a link too.
Old 9th November 2011

Yikes, public scrutiny!

http://www.dreamstime.com/resp2709173-high-resolution

Is my portfolio on Dreamstime as an example. *BEWARE contains some very mediocre images!*

I may have made it sound like easy money, its probably not worth it for most people and the stock world is a bit weird. If anyone wants mroe info send me a pm and I will gladly respond with my experience so far.

It was discussed in another thread a few moinths ago but things have moved on slightly for me.
Old 9th November 2011
mas

Stock always struck me as a strange world.

Would you mind telling which images make the money?