Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 20th October 2011

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
E1, E3 and E5 compatibility

My day job sometimes requires me to use a DSLR which is not an Olympus.

This high end DSLR was bought some time ago, and was a rival to the E1. As well as the body and kit 18-55 lens, a mains adapter, remote control, ring flash and software to control everything from a PC was also bought.

Yesterday the camera sensor packed in and the camera has been sent off for repair, hopefully the parts are still available. This morning I have been assuming the worst and looking to see if a newer camera body was to be purchased, which of the existing kit would be compatible.

I was surprised to find the following:

Battery – no

Mains adapter – no

Remote Control – no

Lens – possibly yes, but may have metering problems, on current bodies

Ring Flash – partly, only suitable for use in Manual Mode, and only with original kit lens, as the mount is too small to fit onto current kit lenses.

Software - possibly

Comparing this brands compatibility with that of the Olympus E1, E3 and E5 I know which I prefer. Fingers crossed that the camera can be repaired
Old 27th October 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: E1, E3 and E5 compatibility

You've got to give top marks to Olympus for at least trying to keep battery compatibility, where it physically fits the body, across several models. I wish Panasonic were so accommodating!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 27th October 2011

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Admittedly the E5 does use a different battery, but I can still use my old BLM-1 batteries in it.

Having used the E520, E1 , E3 and E5, and used the same batteries, lenses and flashguns with each, I took it for granted that other camera systems would have the same compatibility.

The latest news is that the camera is not repairable in the UK, and has been sent to the European repair centre in France.

Hope you enjoyed your ‘significant’ birthday trip. For my less significant birthday I was forced spend an afternoon driving a 300bhp Subaru in the pouring rain at Knockhill – you can imagine how awful it was, four wheel drive, lots of power and being encourage to drive as fast as possible
Old 27th October 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post

Hope you enjoyed your ‘significant’ birthday trip. For my less significant birthday I was forced spend an afternoon driving a 300bhp Subaru in the pouring rain at Knockhill – you can imagine how awful it was, four wheel drive, lots of power and being encourage to drive as fast as possible
Not much different to our away days then. Being forced to drive a 140bhp Honda four wheel drive round the Perthshire mountains in pouring rain...

However, we also had to endure trial by malt at the end of each day.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 27th October 2011

Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

21 year old Old Pulteney?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-15423862

I'm also delighted at the compatibility of my E-3 and E-5. Down to the USB cable and the eyecup. (which I lose of both)

Perhaps you don't want the camera repaired and then you can get an official Olympus system.

Lots of toys.
Old 27th October 2011

Liked 176 Times in 91 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
I was forced spend an afternoon driving a 300bhp Subaru in the pouring rain at Knockhill – you can imagine how awful it was, four wheel drive, lots of power and being encourage to drive as fast as possible
My Subaru Forester is less than half the horspower but I can vouch for the fact that it goes as well off road as on tarmac. In snow, and especially with the winter tyres I bought last year, it ouperforms Land Rovers and all sorts of Chelsea Tractors. My daughter works in Maine and over there about 3 in every 10 cars is a Subaru.

EM1, EM5 II
Old 28th October 2011

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Perhaps you don't want the camera repaired and then you can get an official Olympus system.
An Olympus system would be nice, and it would save me having to keep RTFM'ing

Assuming your job still takes you out and about, do you use your kit, or theirs?
Old 28th October 2011

Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Assuming your job still takes you out and about, do you use your kit, or theirs?
My secondment is unofficial ..... at the moment.
I use my own equipment as I know how it works and so far the results have been what my 'customers' have asked for and more.
My position may well change and I'm a bit more positive about it but taking nothing for granted. If it did become official I would probably have to go over to a N***N D3 of some sort and possibly also a mac. I'd rather stay with my Olympus.
Last week I was mainly photographing grass, this week kids and on Monday I go to shoot the inside of a gasholder! Seriously!
A colleague has given me a loan of his homemade 'cave suns' for lighting. I'll post a photo.

Lots of toys.