Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 24th July 2010

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Poor man's macro

Experimental shot taken with an E510 + Minolta fit Vivitar 70-210 + £10 Chinese lens adapter + £4.60 Chinese extension tube (9 mm tube). I don't pretend to compete with the fantastic offerings of others but this bit of kit will have to suffice until I win the lottery!

Would appreciate comments, please.

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
GEORGE ORWELL
Old 24th July 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Poor man's macro

Well the hoverfly is nice and sharp with all the details clear.

Exposure wise you've chosen a difficult subject, dark insect against white petals. I tweeked levels/curves/sharpening a bit and got this.

Well done

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 24th July 2010

Thanks Nick. I must learn to do more with PS Elements 8 and play with levels, etc. You have given me encouragement to carry on experimenting with my old and seemingly worthless bits of kit.

Thanks again.

GEORGE ORWELL
Old 24th July 2010

Nick, forgot to thank you for pointing out that it was a hover fly and not a bee! Not only do I have to learn lots about post processing but also bugs. It's "doin' my 'ead in".

GEORGE ORWELL
Old 26th July 2010
BigBCC

I've got a Vivitar 80-200 mm macro focusing zoom that I'd like to use for macro shots. It too is originally for Minolta film cameras, can you send me a link to the adapter?

By the way great shot, I love how you got the wings infocus sharply.

I kinda hope the adapter I ordered for my Tamron SP 55BB comes in, but it's a 500 mm tele macro and that's gonna be /INSANE/ because it'll be equivalent to 1000 mm!o.o
Old 27th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBCC View Post
I've got a Vivitar 80-200 mm macro focusing zoom that I'd like to use for macro shots. It too is originally for Minolta film cameras, can you send me a link to the adapter?

By the way great shot, I love how you got the wings infocus sharply.

I kinda hope the adapter I ordered for my Tamron SP 55BB comes in, but it's a 500 mm tele macro and that's gonna be /INSANE/ because it'll be equivalent to 1000 mm!o.o
Hi Bryant

Thanks for your comments. The adapter I use is similar to the one offered on eBay under item #150360395509 from the seller ROXSEN. This will only work if your lens aperture can be manually controlled. The extension tubes I have were under item #270594539076. However, as you do not have autofocus with either of these bits, focusing is a bit of trial and error and moving the camera backwards and forward and luck!

If you search on eBay for 'Minolta to Olympus 4/3 adapter' you'll get lots of hits, some purporting to beep if you manually adjust the focussing ring when in focus. These are much more expensive, though.

Good luck

GEORGE ORWELL
Old 27th July 2010
BigBCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi Bryant

Thanks for your comments. The adapter I use is similar to the one offered on eBay under item #150360395509 from the seller ROXSEN. This will only work if your lens aperture can be manually controlled. The extension tubes I have were under item #270594539076. However, as you do not have autofocus with either of these bits, focusing is a bit of trial and error and moving the camera backwards and forward and luck!

If you search on eBay for 'Minolta to Olympus 4/3 adapter' you'll get lots of hits, some purporting to beep if you manually adjust the focussing ring when in focus. These are much more expensive, though.

Good luck

Thank you, the reason I was asking is because honestly there were like 3 or 4 different minolta mounts (found that out when I got 2 minolta lenses that I could not use on my minolta autofocus SLR so I had to get a completely manual one)

This lens I actually dropped once and it broke something, so now it automatically goes to whatever f/stop I set it on instead of staying wide open until you move the lever.

But on the bottom of the lens it says M/MD and on the top where it says all the other info it says "MC NO.77232170"

So which is the mount?
Old 27th July 2010

If you have an MC or MD lens (i.e a manual lens), the adapter I mentioned should work. Make sure your lens has a focussing ring and an aperture ring as these will have to be controlled manually. BTW, these adapters are not suitable for use with the E300 as the aperture pin on Minolta lenses will protude too far into the camera. Neither are they suitable for auto lenses, e.g. those for the Minolta 7000 etc.

The blurb on the eBay sellers items will tell you whether the adapters are suitable and you can always send a message to them with any query you may have. I have found them very helpful. My last purchase, the extension tubes, arrived in less than 6 days, China to UK and cost only £4.60 inc. delivery!

GEORGE ORWELL
Old 27th July 2010
BigBCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
If you have an MC or MD lens (i.e a manual lens), the adapter I mentioned should work. Make sure your lens has a focussing ring and an aperture ring as these will have to be controlled manually. BTW, these adapters are not suitable for use with the E300 as the aperture pin on Minolta lenses will protude too far into the camera. Neither are they suitable for auto lenses, e.g. those for the Minolta 7000 etc.

The blurb on the eBay sellers items will tell you whether the adapters are suitable and you can always send a message to them with any query you may have. I have found them very helpful. My last purchase, the extension tubes, arrived in less than 6 days, China to UK and cost only £4.60 inc. delivery!
Yes it has the focusing ring and the aperture ring And I have an e420. will this be a problem since it's supposed to be the smallest DSLR?
Old 27th July 2010

Here is a pasted copy of the blurb for item # 150360395509 on eBay. It mentions that it is Ok for the E300 and E330 but I have my doubts. I believe it is OK for the E420 but check. My camera is the E510 and it's fine.

Brand NEW MINOLTA MD TO OLYMPSU 4/3 MOUNT ADAPTER

- 1 YEAR WARANTY , focus infinity

Detail Information

This item can allow Olympus DSLR or Digital Cameras. This item allows use to use any MINOLTA MD MC lens and screw on to their own Olympus 4/3 camera. It acts as a middle connection inbetween their camera lens and the MD /MC lens. You will not be able to use AF with this ring, however it will focus to infinity.

User Instruction: Please use the adapter in this way

To Mount: Turn off the camera. Mount the Lens onto the adapter then mount them onto the camera.
To Remove: Remove both lens / adapter together from the camera, press the lens lock and then remove the adapter from the lens simultaneously.
- In A (aperture-priority AE) mode in auto exposure, the aperture display is not available.
-In the P (Program AE), or S (Shutter speed-priority AE) mode but the auto exposure control does not work properly. It is better to set camera on AF-C.

Compatible for:

E520 E510 E500 E420 E410 E400 E330 E300 E3 E620
Leica Digilux 3, Panasonic DMC-L10

GEORGE ORWELL