Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-PL1

Olympus Pen E-PL1 The, even smaller, more affordable and easier to use Pen from Olympus.

Old 24th November 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Opinions?

Simon speaks truth! I use my E-1, G2, and E-P2 for different occasions.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 24th November 2010
wahlau

Hi Simon,

your opinion is exactly what i am thinking hard - if i have a E-520 oder a E-30 (or even the E-620) the choice of E-PL1 as a second camera is obvious. But as compared to the E-410, it seemed to be a direct "competitor" to my 2 years old trusty companion...

Will the E-410 plus good lens (say 14-54mm I, or a 9-18mm) still focus faster than an E-PL1? Then of course i will still use the E-410 more often that i can imagine now. The fear/concern comes from my own experience - since the arrival of the E-410, my 720sw basically just sits in the drawer except time when i want to take underwater photos... The E-410 with 14-54mm and 25mm pancake has been my choice of combo in difference occasions and places.

thanks!
Old 24th November 2010

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Wahlau

I haven't got any data to back it up, but any DSLR should be quicker at focusing than a current PEN due to the different focus systems employed.

Overtime Olympus have suggested this difference will be reduced, but currently I would prefer to take your E-410 and 14-54 with me to a sports event over the EPL1.

One issue I didn't pick up on previously it the difference style/quality of using the EVF/LCD display on the PEN to the OVF on the E-410. This is something of personal preference, but I'm sure you have been able to come to a view on this by seeing/using your friends EPL1.

So the next question is, do you want an EPL1 now, or is you current system meeting your needs and can wait to see what Olympus come up with next on the PEN series! But predicting what the future holds is always difficult and new toys are always very tempting.

Simon
Old 24th November 2010
wahlau

Hi Simon,

since i have my E-410, i have already got used to how to work around if the focus is slow unless the E-PL1 is unbearable slow (which i doubt), i should be able to live with it.

the sole purpose of (thinking to) having the E-PL1 is the video function, perhaps also the even smaller/slicker form factor. The E-410 is neat with the 25mm pancake, but it is still not pocket fitting small. So the real guy that has to go if the E-PL1 should join the family is the 720SW

but i think i will be only buying 1Q next year, especially when the next PEN is announced and available - my rule is - you don't have to always buy the latest and newest so that you can have a better price/value purchase.

thanks!
Old 24th November 2010

Wahlau

The focus on the EPL1 is fine, especially with the micro 4/3 lenses. Using standard 4/3 lenses only really works for static/slow moving subjects on the PEN as the focusing is very slow, so if you want to use HG or SHG lenses (as there is very limited HG/SHG micro 4/3 lenses available currently) for action your best route is still an E-xxx serie camera. Obviously there are work arounds as with everything (manaul focus!).

You say that the 720SW would get the "push", but there are still circumstances where a E-410 and PEN can't go but a 720SW can (eg. underwater), so will still have it's uses.

I'm with you that you don't need the latest of greatest equipment and half of being a good photographer is using the equipment you have an being clever in how you us it to capture your subject.

I'm not sure how much you have used your friends EPL1 for video (it's not something I generally use) but there are limitation on the EPL1's abilities (mono sound without the mic add on, the CAF doesn't appear wonderful (but that might be my technic), I also have trouble getting a smooth zoom due to the amount the barrel needs to be turned and finally I have to remember portraite orientation doesn't really work). The PEN was primarily designed as a camera with video being a secondary function. You might just want to bear that in mind if video is one of your primary needs.

Simon
Old 24th November 2010
wahlau

Hi Simon,

a good point on the normal FT lens on E-PL1 focus speed... i was thinking it would be "fine" to do it. if performance wise not always good - then i must think twice, since i plan to use more FT lens then mFT ones even if i get the E-PL1.

For underwater purposes... i will go for casing if really needed, so both E-410 and E-PL1 have their rather expensive casings but you are right - pushing the 720sw away means forking out more money for the same purpose.

I am currently making video snapshots using a smartphone, hence the mono issue is not really a problem. I am not into real video taking but more like family snapshots/candid video stuffs... which i think E-PL1 will be a good candidate for that. Of course video will not be the primary purpose/use if i am going to get it - i like the size with quality photos plus video. What i meant was - the E-PL1 has the advantage of making videos if compared to what i already can achieve with my E-410, since i assume the photo quality of the E-PL1 should be close to my E-410.

regards,
wahlau.
Old 24th November 2010

Wahlau

I think you will be very surprise with the quality of the images from the EPL1. I found them to be significantly better than my E3, especially when you up the ISO.

If you have a friend who has a PEN it would definately be worthwhile trying the 4/3 lenses you want to use on it to see how the focusing performs. Like everything some peoples ideas of "slow" are different to others. So best to try before you buy if possible.

Simon
Old 24th November 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have used the E-p1 with adapter for a while with my 4/3 lenses (50mm, 50-200 SWD and 12-60 SWD), but found the combination so slow that it was practically useless in all situations except static scenes. The dedicated m4/3 lenses focus a lot faster on the PEN.
Old 4th December 2010

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have the E-520 & E-500 and a selection of E series lenses plus the FL-36. I recently purchased the E-PL1 & the 4/3rds adaptor and only used this camera on holiday in the Bahamas and can honestly say was more than happy with the results. As others have said the LCD burns out in bright sun light and the adaptor with 4/3rds lenses is slow to focus but the dedicated micro 4/3rds lenses are faster.
I would not use the camera for sport or anything where you need to pan fast & shoot like aerial shots or cars but for portraits & landscapes its a very desirable addition to my collection.
So Olympus you STILL need to make 4/3rds DSLR cameras for consumers the E-PL1 is a more versitile compact camera NOT a DSLR replacement.
Old 4th February 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

To add to the post above the combination of the 4/3rd adaptor and a 40-150mm on the E-PL1 last night at the Usher concert was frankly awful whereas at Plymouth two weeks ago taking shots of ships it was fine.
In reality you really need m.4/3rds lenses for the Pen cameras.