Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-PL1

Olympus Pen E-PL1 The, even smaller, more affordable and easier to use Pen from Olympus.

Old 3rd August 2010
E-P1 fan

Re: Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
I just need to sell the EP 1.
You serious - I might be interested.

How do OM primes perform on Pens? Presumably all manual focus only?
Any other drawbacks?
Old 3rd August 2010

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

I don't have any of the older lenses but a friend on flikr use's an Ep1 and gets wondrful results with it using differant lenses
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roosjeh...7622347124699/
Old 3rd August 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I use an OM Zuiko 50mm, and a Tamron SP90 which both sit well on the E-P2. Yes, they are purely manual focus, but the VF2 is perfect for this purpose. And even stopped down to the correct taking aperture, the gain of the electronic viewfinder makes focussing easy. Ergonomically they are fine also. I'm looking round for an OM Zuiko 24mm or 28mm as well.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 4th August 2010
E-P1 fan

Remember that old saying - "strike while the iron's hot"

The 339 EP-1 on Amazon just went up overnight to over 370! (new supplies I guess). To me that means that something that was 'just over' 300 is now 'just under' 400!

I dug out my OM 50mm & 135mm primes and I think they would look fantastic on an EP-1. Is it just me? I think the EP-1 looks like the Pen F and the EPL-1 looks like a clone of my Canon G9
Old 4th August 2010

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

If u want to make me a reasonable offer for the ep 1 with 14-42 lens send me a pm
Old 4th August 2010
E-P1 fan

Thanks - PM sent
Old 7th August 2010
E-P1 fan

And the end of the saga is - I'm now the proud owner of a nice EP-1 courtesy of Yorky.

I'm gradually getting my head round it's idiosyncracies and am loving it.

Time to move to the Ep-1 forum methinks
Old 7th August 2010

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It takes a while to get use to it, but it's very customisable.

I've ended up with a second E-PL1 today! The missus kept stealling mine and I wanted the 14-150mm and she pointed out that for only an Extra 175 I could treat her to a nice red E-PL1 and she would share my lenses!

Simon
Old 7th August 2010
E-P1 fan

Smart lady - hats off to her
Old 7th August 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-1 fan View Post
And the end of the saga is - I'm now the proud owner of a nice EP-1 courtesy of Yorky.

I'm gradually getting my head round it's idiosyncracies and am loving it.

Time to move to the Ep-1 forum methinks
Glad you made the decision (at last) and look forward to some shots.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the camera.

When I wander about with the E-PL1 I get old boys coming up to me and saying 'that's a film camera isn't it', starts a lot more conversations than the E-3.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 8th November 2010

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Picked up an E-PL1 at Heathrow on my way to Bahamas as I knew with the addition of the MMF-2 I could use my 4/3rds lenses back home.

I must say Im very impressed with the picture quality from the camera but not over impressed with the 14-42mm micro 4/3rd zoom which distorts badly especially on ocean horizons. The camera was on special offer and I got an Olympus cash-back as well so price wise very happy.
The one feature both the other micro 4/3rds Olys have which this should have is the electronic leveller as I have had to adjust a few shots in post which I would have preferred not to do.
The size makes this a perfect lightweight grab & go camera and although not to the build quality of DSLRs or the other two sister cameras still at a very high level. Will definately add the electronic viewfinder (for level horizons and to see something in bright sun light) and the MMF-2.
Old 8th November 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Invicta View Post
The one feature both the other micro 4/3rds Olys have which this should have is the electronic leveller as I have had to adjust a few shots in post which I would have preferred not to do.
It doesn't have an electronic leveller - but you can tell it to superimpose a grid on the display, then just choose what feature of the view you want as a reference.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 8th November 2010
Alan Clogwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post

I'm looking round for an OM Zuiko 24mm or 28mm as well.
Might I reccomend skipping the 28mm and concentrating on finding a good fast 24mm, I had the f2.8 versions of both, never used the 28mm as it never really had the right viewing angle for anything, the 24 is much more useful (ideal everyday angle) BUT the minimum focus on the Zuiko is a bit far away, if you can find a Vivitar f2.8 one then the minimum focus is a tiny 0.19m, doesn't sound like a lot but it does open up a lot of options - it will allow you to take better close ups than a zuiko 50mm. (not a macro one though obviously!)

Have a look round my gallery, most things in there are taken with one.

Old 24th November 2010
wahlau

Hi guys,

i am also attracted to the PL1 recently, after seeing magnificent images and videos(!) captured by a friend. My question will be - will the arrival of the PL1 mean that i will perhaps "forget" more that i have a E-410? It is just a waste when a camera is no longer being utilized, while the 2nd hand value is not really worth to let go of such a fine camera...

thanks!

wahlau.
Old 24th November 2010

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Wahlau

I have an E-3 and well as an E-PL1 and they have different roles. The E-PL1 is my everyday camera, with the 17mm pancake attached it's small enough that you don't know your carrying it around with you, so ideal for the spur of the moment photo opportunities.

The E-3 still has it's advantages, specially when it comes to action shot and weatherproof. I would not be happy taking the E-PL1 to a motorsport event as it would have trouble keeping up on the focusing, in my oppinion.

With the E-PL1 I would recommend getting the EVF as on a bright day the LCD screen does washout. Another reason you might want to keep using the E410 if you don't get the EVF.

I personally find the E-PL1 less comfortable to hold (due to it's small size and my big hand), therefore if I'm doing a lot of photography in one day I prefer to use the E-3 and the bigger 4/3 HG lens generally balance better on the E-xxx bodies (the E-PL1 with the Bigma is an interesting combination!)

It's a differicult call to say if your E-410 would be "left on the shelf". The E-PL1 is not perfect, although you should see a good leap in the quality of the images from the newer sensor and you may see advantages to use the E-410 for certain types of photography, similar to I've outlined above.

Personally I think the E-PL1 would be your primary camera, but for the secondhand sale price of the E-410 I would be inclined to keep it for the times when the E-PL1 is not quite up to the job (mainly when focus speed it key).

Simon