Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-PL1

Olympus Pen E-PL1 The, even smaller, more affordable and easier to use Pen from Olympus.

Old 1st August 2010

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Re: Opinions?

As the owner of an EP1 plus the adaptor I have to say it is getting used more and more. I find the 35 macro works very well with it some of the longer lenses tend to seek in auto focus mode. the picture quality is perhaps better than the E3. However, it is not as good in the contuos focus mode with the 14-42 lens, and is rather slower to operate which does not favour shooting moving objects very well . I think the EP 2 with the viewfinder is a much more complete system. But for normal use of static subjects I find it superb.
Old 1st August 2010
E-P1 fan

Have you tried it with any OM lenses?

Another factor for me is design - I prefer the design of the EP1 to the EPL1. Like the E1 the build quality seems fantastic. I fail to see why Oly are not really proud of both cameras
Old 1st August 2010
Rod Souter

Not with the MMF-1 but with the Panasonic version

to the ridiculous

HTH

Rod
Old 1st August 2010
E-P1 fan

Cheers Rod - it's a whole new way of thinking this Pen world

is the Panasonic adapter cheaper than the MMF-1?
Old 2nd August 2010
E-P1 fan

I'm starting to wonder if the EP-1 really will go the way of the E-1 and start to drop in price quite dramatically. I bought my E-1 for a song - might the same fate await the EP-1? That would make my decision for me. I could live with the downsides if the upside financially was as attractive as my E1. Plus I do really like the design of the EP-1 more than the others. Hmmn.

And if it doesn't and they disappear into history - there will always be the EPL-1 (for a while at least) and the next traunche of PENs which will be coming from Mount Olympus

What do you think folks?
Old 2nd August 2010

I believe the price is already starting to drop quiote dramaticly keep an eye on camera box, they are one of the first to start cutting.
Old 2nd August 2010
E-P1 fan

Actually Amazon are much cheaper than Camera Box. Camera Box price on the EP-1 is 399.99 but Amazons's is 322.99! That's for the camera with 14/42
Old 2nd August 2010
E-P1 fan

Sorry to keep firing questions at you - can someone tell me how the VF-1 viewfinder works? Is it linked to the lens so alters as you zoom or change lenses?
Old 2nd August 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-1 fan View Post
Sorry to keep firing questions at you - can someone tell me how the VF-1 viewfinder works? Is it linked to the lens so alters as you zoom or change lenses?
It is just a lens specifically for use with the 17mm fixed focal length pancake - it doesn't do anything clever at all.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/21...vf-1_21795.htm

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 2nd August 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I have both an E-P2 and an E-30. I now find that, although the E-30 is great to use, I'm using the Pen more or less exclusively. Bought as a kit with the VF-2 finder, it's perfect for manual focussing - better, much better, than the E-30 and superb with legacy lenses. I find that using manual focus again after all these years of autofocus, dictated 'cos my eyes find focussing a DSLR difficult, has actualy made me consider my shots more rather than just point-and-shoot.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 2nd August 2010
E-P1 fan

So useless for anything else - or any other lens

I'm questioning the need for a viewfinder at all - after a while owning a Canon G9 I'm very used to using the LCD screen
Old 3rd August 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-1 fan View Post
So useless for anything else - or any other lens

I'm questioning the need for a viewfinder at all - after a while owning a Canon G9 I'm very used to using the LCD screen
Well no viewfinder would be a challenge for me, purely because of difficulties in seeing the screen (I'm a glasses wearer), I'd also wonder about balance with legacy lenses when using the screen, but maybe technique would overcome that. But if you've got good experience using a screen, then maybe it's time to stop worrying, by all accounts the e-p1 is a good camera.

(but if Photokina brings out a new Pen for Christmas, maybe the e-p2 will start to move down in price).

Maybe it's time to just do it

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 3rd August 2010

The electronic viewfinder sits in the accesary shoe and plugs in to a slotr below the shoe. so far as I know, it works with any lens thats on the camera. I have seen it with the 14-42 and found it to be clear and sharp. i used to have A nikon which was a fixed lens with an electron viewfinder and the Olympus knocks the hell out that. I found it superb.
Old 3rd August 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

This VF-2 only works with the E-P2 and E-PL1, not the E-P1. I agree wholeheartedly, it's superb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
The electronic viewfinder sits in the accesary shoe and plugs in to a slotr below the shoe. so far as I know, it works with any lens thats on the camera. I have seen it with the 14-42 and found it to be clear and sharp. i used to have A nikon which was a fixed lens with an electron viewfinder and the Olympus knocks the hell out that. I found it superb.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 3rd August 2010

I just looked at he Amazon site, they offer a 1-3 months delivery time. I would imagine by that time the price would have altered significantly. But I would love one, just need to sell the EP 1. Ah well dream on?