Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 14th December 2018

Liked 2,520 Times in 787 Posts
An Optimistic Article about Olympus

I found this article via a thread on DPReview. It makes change to read an encouraging article about the future of Olympus and M43. Straight from the horse's mouth (almost).

https://www.imaging-resource.com/new...no-but-heck-no

Ron
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Olybirder For This Useful Post:
Graham from Wirral (14th December 2018), Internaut (14th December 2018), Melaka (15th December 2018), OM USer (16th December 2018), Zuiko (15th December 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (17th December 2018), drmarkf (16th December 2018), Internaut (14th December 2018), Pierre L (14th December 2018)
Old 14th December 2018

Liked 46 Times in 14 Posts
Re: An Optimistic Article about Olympus

After using OM1's then some early Camedia digital cameras, I didn't bother with any new DSLR introductions until the OMD EM5

Everything else was way too big before I bought my OMD EM5.

Buying an OMD EM1 mk2 + 40-150 pro + 300 f4 pr0 + 1.4 teleconvertor was a bit of an indulgence.

But I'm definitely staying with m4/3
The Following User Liked This Post:
bassman (17th December 2018)
Old 14th December 2018

Liked 423 Times in 197 Posts

Caught this one via another source, earlier. Bring it on, but Olympus really needs to push the dependability and reliability in addition to the mobility.
Old 15th December 2018

Liked 133 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
I found this article via a thread on DPReview. It makes change to read an encouraging article about the future of Olympus and M43. Straight from the horse's mouth (almost).
https://www.imaging-resource.com/new...no-but-heck-no Ron
Since Nature and Wildlife are my main interests, I am in strong agreement with this article, although the diagram seems to omit Outdoor Sports (other than extreme sports), which I would have thought is also a large sector!

For me, the E-M1-ii and the Pan'Leica 100-400mm make a formidable combination, combining portability with speed and accuracy. At the opposite end of the scale, the 60mm macro, combined with the camera's 'stacking' capability, also provide impressive capability.

I shall be very pleased if Olympus decide to major on these areas. More steps in the stacking and even better AF tracking would be very welcome developments.
Old 15th December 2018

Thanked 1,102 Times in 837 Posts
Liked 5,207 Times in 1,679 Posts

I'm personally in the bottom right hand sector (landscape, cityscapes/architecture, street etc). I don't need fancy AF and long lenses, but I do need:

- As much DR as I can get (in other words lots of highlight headroom and as low a shadow noise as possible)

- Weather-sealing (sometimes it rains outdoors)

- Small/lightweight body & lenses (I usually spend many hours carting kit about an no matter how light it feels at the start of a day, the shoulder knows it at the end!)

- The best image stabilisation I can get (I often carry a tripod, but being able to take shots of several seconds without one definitely improves the spontaneity of image making).

- Aids for long-exposures (LiveTime and LiveComp) - these are great for nailing long-exposure landscape photography.

- Top top-quality lenses (both zoom and prime).

Olympus m43 delivers in nearly all of these. The one area where I sometimes feel I need more is DR/noise. FF would definitely be a step up, but I'd lose out in many of the other areas. I can also use stacking/bracketing to work around the DR challenge (and in fact, in many outdoor scenes, the DR exceeds what even the best FF or MF cameras can do).

The development happening now in fast sensor readout and image computational techniques will I'm sure completely fix the DR problem in the very near future. A burst of 4-8 shots with different exposures and then mapping them into a single raw file would be my dream. I do that today myself by shooting 5 raw files and stacking in Lightroom but it would be great to be able to dispense with all the image sifting and stacking I need to do on my PC.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (16th December 2018)
Old 15th December 2018

Liked 423 Times in 197 Posts

I’ve long theorised that the highlight headroom I see in Olympus raws is because they’re pulling and pushing at each ISO. So, for example, when I take a shot at ISO 200, what the camera is delivering is ISO 100 pulled one stop then pushed. This would explain why my Sony, with more total dynamic range, has very little highlight headroom. With the Sony, the exposure comp dial spends a lot of time at -1 (and OOC JPEGs are rarely used).