Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 12th December 2018

Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
E3 Heads Up

There is currently an E3 camera with 14-54 f2.8, two batteries and battery grip for sale on fleabay for 150. No takers so far.

David (remove post if not allowed here )
The Following User Says Thank You to Dewi9 For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (13th December 2018)
Old 13th December 2018

Liked 145 Times in 99 Posts
Re: E3 Heads Up

Does it have any advantages over an E-M1 in some contexts? I have some nice FT lenses and have sometimes wondered if they might perform better on a native FT camera rather than E-M1 and MMF-3.
Old 13th December 2018
Administrator

Thanked 3,070 Times in 2,386 Posts
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Does it have any advantages over an E-M1 in some contexts? I have some nice FT lenses and have sometimes wondered if they might perform better on a native FT camera rather than E-M1 and MMF-3.
Focusing of FT lenses will almost certainly be better but in all other respects the E-M1 should win hands down unless you particularly favour an optical viewfinder.

Having said that I am sorely tempted to bid on this because I do miss the E-3 that I sold; in fact since passing on my E-M5 to my daughter I sometimes miss having a camera full stop!

Perversely, the extra size and weight of the E-3 is not so much of a disadvantage these days, since I'm not well enough to venture very far - with or without a camera!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (14th December 2018)
Old 13th December 2018

Thanked 1,304 Times in 1,205 Posts
Liked 1,994 Times in 967 Posts

Hope you are able to go for it John, it would be great to see you posting images again.
Zuiko (13th December 2018)
Old 13th December 2018

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post

No, there are no advantages over the E-M1. The E-M1 has miles better digital range, better high ISO, better virtually everything. And lets not forget that nice, strong AA filter in front of the E-3 sensor that made everything just not that sharp.

People saying good things about this gear is just nostalgia. There is a pretty good reason why the old Olympus DSLRs aren't worth anything anymore.

Old 13th December 2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
No, there are no advantages over the E-M1. The E-M1 has miles better digital range, better high ISO, better virtually everything. And lets not forget that nice, strong AA filter in front of the E-3 sensor that made everything just not that sharp.

People saying good things about this gear is just nostalgia. There is a pretty good reason why the old Olympus DSLRs aren't worth anything anymore.

I'm sorry, I don't entirely agree.

Whilst you are right that technology has increased since the heyday of the E-3, to the point that the OM-D range are vastly superior cameras in every respect, this does not mean the older Four Thirds DSLRs are suddenly incapable of producing a high quality photograph. In its day my E-3 produced fine 16 x 12 prints, many of which sold quite well and often earnt me the rather backhanded compliment, "Your pictures are great, you must have a really good camera!"

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (13th December 2018), RobEW (14th December 2018), sapper (14th December 2018)
Old 13th December 2018

I have plenty of nice pictures taken with my Olympus DSLRs.

They're still terrible cameras compared to modern cameras. Blown highlights, noise at ISO 100, AA filter induced softness, no leeway in RAW to recover, crappy IBIS, not enough MP to crop to 16:9.

The DxoMark score of even the E5 is much lower than that of a Sony RX100. And the E5 is less than 2 years older than an RX100. The world moves forward pretty quickly, which is why a meal at a nice restaurant costs more than an old Olympus DSLR.

Old 13th December 2018

Liked 1,294 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:

I walked away from the forum because of internet "experts" like this.

I have two shots in a 2019 birds calender both taken with an E-3 and my decades old OM Zuiko 350mm. One is a Hummingbird in flight, something impossible even with current Olympus equipment according to the internet "experts"

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
The Following User Says Thank You to David M For This Useful Post:
Jax (13th December 2018)
Greytop (17th December 2018), sapper (14th December 2018)
Old 13th December 2018

Don't get your panties in a twist. Where did I say you cannot take good pictures with an Olympus DSLR? I clearly said I have taken plenty of nice pictures with mine.

The question here is, why would you use an Olympus DSLR, when you already own an Olympus E-M1?

Also, this is a downwards going spiral. Why stop at the E-3? What's wrong with the E-1? And actually, people took really nice pictures with film cameras in the 70s.

Old 13th December 2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I walked away from the forum because of internet "experts" like this.

I have two shots in a 2019 birds calender both taken with an E-3 and my decades old OM Zuiko 350mm. One is a Hummingbird in flight, something impossible even with current Olympus equipment according to the internet "experts"
Hi David,

Nice to see you still look in on the forum. All the best for 2019.

Greytop (17th December 2018), Melaka (16th December 2018), RobEW (14th December 2018)
Old 13th December 2018
Administrator

Quote:
The question here is, why would you use an Olympus DSLR, when you already own an Olympus E-M1?
I don't disagree with this at all but for someone like me with a very limited budget, old Four Thirds DSLRs such as the E-3 offer an affordable way back into the game. There is no way I could afford even a second hand E-M1, but I might just manage an E-3. Or an E-510 - I still marvel at the OOC JPEGs my wife gets out of hers.

Old 13th December 2018

Liked 128 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Maybe for the same reason people love driving vintage sport cars...

Pure pleasure

Jax
Old 13th December 2018

Liked 1,454 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
The DxoMark score of even the E5 is much lower than that of a Sony RX100. And the E5 is less than 2 years older than an RX100.
What - the RX100 with the fixed zoom lens 10.4-37.1mm, f1.8-4.9 against the E3 with the Zuiko 12-60mm or 14-35mm F2 or Zuiko 50-100mm F2 or several other pro lenses?

Link please!

Jim
Old 14th December 2018

Liked 154 Times in 104 Posts

John, if you can forego the grip and battery, and assuming you still have access to a lens or two, Harrison Cameras have a body for 150, with a 12 month warranty, which may be important for someone on a tight budget.
They are an excellent firm to deal with; the price for this just depresses me, considering my new one came from them

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 14th December 2018

Liked 154 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Also, this is a downwards going spiral. Why stop at the E-3? What's wrong with the E-1? And actually, people took really nice pictures with film cameras in the 70s.
I didn't, as well as My E-5, E3, and E-1, I bought a spare E-1 in case my original ever packs up.
Accept its limitations and it still gives super results.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Jim Ford (14th December 2018), RobEW (14th December 2018)