Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 20th November 2018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does one do Smartphone?

Hi,

I’m an Apple user and had a 6s and loved it.

For a SIM free phone you can shop in places like Tesco, John Lewis, Curry’s and so on. The purchase of your phone and signing up to a mobile phone service provider don’t need to be linked.

So you have two separate decisions to make i.e
1. which phone do you want: so you need to determine which operating system, Android or Apple IOS, screen size, memory, speed, cost etc and
2. Which service provider and plan is appropriate for you.

Once you have chosen your phone and know what physical size SIM is required and have obtained your PAC from your existing supplier (valid for 30 days), you can then contact the service provider of your choice who will then guide you through enabling the new mobile service.

Enjoy your new phone.
Old 20th November 2018

Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Re: How does one do Smartphone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
I did some exploratory phone shop browsing today.

The only place I found offering unlocked SIM free phones was Carphone Warehouse.

I had to rush away to meet someone, so I did not have time to conclude a deal.

I do not know how long Black Friday will continue, but two phones looked "possible" to me:

Sony Xperia XZ1 at £199, and iPhone 6s at £299.

Any comments on these please?
John Lewis do unlocked sim free phones.
Old 20th November 2018

Liked 279 Times in 152 Posts

Currys, Argos, Tesco, and maybe other supermarkets/retailers who aren't trying to sell lucrative (to them) packages, all do sim free phones.

And then you have Amazon and lots of other online places to try, many with better prices than bricks & mortar shops.
Old 20th November 2018

Liked 408 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Can't agree to that as my 86 year young mom uses it to video chat with my sis in UK.

I keep tab on her via find my phone, She also shows me her marketing or foods. Yes, she uses that camera. Also her hearing aid is Bluetooth linked to her phone.

AND yes, it's an iPhone.

She also reads the news on it, Stalk us (children & grandchildren). She says games are a waste of time..but her sister (80 year young) is trying to teach her Candycrush, Sudoku and Solitare.
All valid points. Last year I bought an iPhone 6 Plus unlocked on eBay for £115 and I bought a SIM card cutter for £3.86. I have an iPhone 3S and 4S, both still work, but with advances in apps and technology the 3S and 4S were not able to keep up, all on PYG. My wife is able to keep track of where I am

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
Old 21st November 2018
Stock Shooter

Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I read this thread and I am surprised a little at what people say.
The smartphone market is so confusing and is not really novice user friendly, more targeted at teens + dare I say.

This post is meant to be helpful and NOT critical in any way. But :

Dare I ask this basic question? Why do you think you want one ?

Write down what exactly you want from your new phone. Seriously write it down on a piece of paper.

You say you make few calls and get or send the occasional text message. Same as I do these days.

Do you want a small and easy to use basic camera ? then a smart phone is more than able to do that.

Or do you simply want use the phone apps that track everything you do? - probably not?

Or do you want use it to log in to this website to post your latest pics and comments and to replace your desktop PC? Again a phone can do that.

I really don't need or want one these days I like my keyboard and using my thumb to type is a real pain. But whatever "floats your boat" as they say.

The technicalities around dual SIM , multi processor etc etc, are just marketing speak. If you are not a real power user, which 95% of the population are not then don't even go there.
Dave,

Thanks for those thoughts, nice to hear the voice of reason. In fact, just what I was pondering myself.

I have managed perfectly well with my dumb phone since I retired in 2004, some years before the iPhone was invented.

Before I retired, I used to travel all over the world, but for my wife and I the world has been shrinking for age associated reasons, and now covers Yorkshire, Cumbria and up as far as Edinburgh. We don’t do public transport, riding everywhere in a Skoda Yeti.

We have several computers at home, all laptops that can come with us if we want to. More useful for travelling I have I have a 10” Windows 10 tablet with attached keyboard, I could start putting that in the car so that I can get on the internet in any café. That can be done anywhere we go.

I had a vague fear that there is now an expectation with every official, commercial and financial organisation that they can only deal with me by smart phone and thought maybe I should get one and learn to use it while I still can. Now I think not.

I am glad I started this thread, I have learnt a lot, and I hope it has been useful to others too.

Decision made – no “Smart” phone but maybe another and better dumb phone.

Thanks all. . .

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (21st November 2018)
Old 21st November 2018

Liked 443 Times in 297 Posts

Peter, I’m sure you have made the right decision for you and your circumstances but I feel you will be missing out on a lot of interesting apps and uses you can’t even begin to imagine right now.

I think your fear of organisations only wanting to deal with people via a device is very real and a bad thing in my opinion. It’s being done purely for cost (jobs!) savings reasons and I worry it will all unravel at some point when a major systems outage (will happen) shuts down those online interactions. Even some online chats are actually conducted with a computer, so clever is the tech behind it than many wouldn’t even know it wasn’t a person.