Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 21st October 2018

Liked 671 Times in 455 Posts
A "grassbow"?

I was up unusually early this Sunday morning and saw something I have never seen before. Out in a stretch of open grassland there was what looked lie rainbow formed by dew in the grass:

Quite hard to see here, in the flesh the colour was more evident but it still looked ethereal and beautiful. I guess it was just refraction plus internal reflection from the dew drops on the grass, just like a rainbow in the sky. A you can see from the shadow of the person in the middle distance, the sun was coming from about 45 degrees left.

John
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (24th October 2018), drmarkf (22nd October 2018), pandora (22nd October 2018)
Old 21st October 2018

Liked 1,341 Times in 859 Posts
Re: A "grassbow"?

Maybe a 'dewbow'?

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/rainbows/dewbow.htm

Atoptics is an excellent site, full of interesting atmospheric optical phenomena.

Jim
Old 22nd October 2018

Thanked 1,405 Times in 1,362 Posts
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,632 Posts

I can see the "dewbow", as Jim calls it (quite apt). It may have been more evident shot with a much longer lens.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
OMD M5 Mkii * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. ~ Calvin-
Old 22nd October 2018

Liked 671 Times in 455 Posts

Thanks for the link Jim. I've seen that page before but had forgotten about it.

I think that must be what it is, but it didn't match the description. In shape it was a straight line, more like the reflections of a low moon across slightly choppy water, and it moved around as I did. It must just have been some magic combination of the angle of the sun and the slope of the land.

Mark - I wondered about zooming in closer (I had the 40-140 + converter on for rugby so could have gone a lot longer) but decided it was better to have it in context. This is a crop of about 75% of the frame.

It was very strange - clearly visible to the naked eye but disappeared completely in the viewfinder. It was beautiful so I decided to try a shot anyway and see if some LR magic could bring anything out of it.

John
Old 22nd October 2018
Administrator

Thanked 3,007 Times in 2,338 Posts
Liked 4,150 Times in 1,940 Posts

Very unusual, I've not seen that before!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd October 2018

Liked 1,341 Times in 859 Posts

When you go walking in grass at this time of year and there's dew, keep a look out for 'heiligenschein':

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/droplets/heilig.htm

It can be quite magical.

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bikie John (22nd October 2018)