Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 21st March 2018

Thanked 1,304 Times in 1,205 Posts
Liked 2,001 Times in 970 Posts
Re: How Big is the MC-14?

Can only add good news to everyone else. Mine has been fine for the last 2 years and still going strong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (21st March 2018)
Old 21st March 2018

Liked 2,629 Times in 809 Posts

Thanks for all the reassuring replies. I am glad about this as I have an MC-14 on order from HDEW. I wouldn't normally buy a 'grey' import but I figured that there was less to go wrong with a teleconverter than a camera or lens. That was before I read about the problems which some people had encountered. I feel much happier now.

HDEW are completely open about the fact that the converter is supplied in a white box as it has been separated from a kit. That doesn't bother me but I hope it comes with the usual accessories. I have seen a lot of praise for HDEW from people who have used them and their warranty back up seems to work well. Time will tell whether I have made a wise decision or not.

Ron
Old 21st March 2018

Liked 35 Times in 22 Posts

Mine was a white box one, via ebay and shipped across from France. Remember being bit apprehensive but the converter and service from the dealer was brilliant.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to bassman For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (21st March 2018)
Old 22nd March 2018

My MC-14 has arrived from HDEW. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is not supplied in a white box but the proper printed black Olympus version, all sealed up and complete with the pouch and end caps. As expected there was no warranty card in the box but I have registered it on My Olympus and it says that it is covered by warranty until 2020. Somehow I suspect that Olympus wouldn't honour a claim if I made one. I have tried it out and it takes a bit of care to hold the camera steady but it seems to work all right.

Ron
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bassman (22nd March 2018), Bengeo (22nd March 2018), cliff (22nd March 2018), Greytop (22nd March 2018), IainMacD (22nd March 2018), MJ224 (24th March 2018), OM USer (22nd March 2018), Ross the fiddler (22nd March 2018)
Old 22nd March 2018

Liked 1,176 Times in 314 Posts

I have had mine for about one and a half years without any problems. Nice photo of the Robin.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 23rd March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Mine has been fine for over 2 years, got it with the 40-150 it's a solid bit of kit kept in a Lowepro AW70 TOPLOADER.

It will fit snugly in a Lowepro AW 75 TOPLOADER ii on the 300 f4 and the em1 mkii with grip I was so impressed with it that I bought a (Gray import) second one to pair with the 300.
Hi Cliff. Does this case support the camera body so that the front element of the lens is not touching the bottom of the case? I assume the lens hood has to be retracted for it to fit. Also, without the grip attached, is it a reasonably good fit for the body.

Ron
Old 23rd March 2018

Thanked 1,263 Times in 993 Posts
Liked 1,853 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Hi Cliff. Does this case support the camera body so that the front element of the lens is not touching the bottom of the case? I assume the lens hood has to be retracted for it to fit. Also, without the grip attached, is it a reasonably good fit for the body.

Ron
I have the Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW II (bought on a whim) & with 40-150 + MC14 & HLD-9 grip with hood extended it fits in, so the 300 F4 plus MC14 should just fit with hood retracted, but would be getting a little tighter with lens filter & lens cap with it just fitting. To take the load off the front of the 40-150 lens the dividers can be placed to support the camera under the grip (either one), but the 300 F4 with MC14 & camera will be sitting on the bottom & filling the case to the top. I never use my bag because I want at least another lens & there's no room for that, so I use a cheap canvas messenger type bag instead (although it isn't ideal for fit). I could use two bags with two bodies, but I'm afraid I would start to look like a dork though. Anyhow, I have the bag, all I need now is the 300 F4 lens. In my dreams, my wife says.

I see the weight of the 300 F4 lens at 1,475 g (tripod foot included) would benefit from having its own bag such as a top loader. Also, I would put a divider piece on the bottom for some padding as it doesn't seem to have much of anything except a fairly hard piece of padding for the base.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (23rd March 2018)
Old 23rd March 2018

Thanks Ross, that is very interesting. I like to carry the camera in the holster with the the lens cap removed and the hood extended ready for quick use. Unfortunately I don't think the Lowepro case is deep enough for that. As far as I know, the only case which is sufficiently deep is the Think Tank Digital Holster 30, which I have.

The issues with it are that, when it is fully extended, the bottom section isn't stiff and padded and wouldn't offer any protection if the camera was dropped. Also it is designed for a DSLR body, so the top section is rather a loose fit for the E-M1 II. This allows the camera to sink down in case, which is not ideal. I have added some foam padding inside to support the camera body but it is a makeshift solution. I will have to work on that as there doesn't seem to be any altenative.

Ron
Old 23rd March 2018

Quote:
Thanks Ross, that is very interesting. I like to carry the camera in the holster with the the lens cap removed and the hood extended ready for quick use. Unfortunately I don't think the Lowepro case is deep enough for that. As far as I know, the only case which is sufficiently deep is the Think Tank Digital Holster 30, which I have.

The issues with it are that, when it is fully extended, the bottom section isn't stiff and padded and wouldn't offer any protection if the camera was dropped. Also it is designed for a DSLR body, so the top section is rather a loose fit for the E-M1 II. This allows the camera to sink down in case, which is not ideal. I have added some foam padding inside to support the camera body but it is a makeshift solution. I will have to work on that as there doesn't seem to be any altenative.

Ron
The Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW II can only be used like that with the 40-150 Pro & MC14 & would not fit the 300 F4 lens with hood extended.

As I have the bag set up with dividers, having the plain one flat on the bottom for padding & the other with a fold also supporting the MC14 bag.

This is with the 40-150 Pro & MC14 & hood retracted.

With the 40-150 Pro & MC14 & hood extended.

I like to collect dust too.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Olybirder (24th March 2018)
Old 24th March 2018

Liked 101 Times in 57 Posts

Hi Ron and thanks Ross for filling the void with your comprehensive description
As you can see from the helpfull shots it's a snug fit with the grip.
With The 300 plus the tele attached you can only close and zip it up with the hood retracted however you could use your method of operation while you where walking around and just close up at the end, I like Ross I have also used the square divider at the base for more padding and Ross you may already know that there is the ability to attache side lens pouches for a second lens which is only slightly dorky
Ron I like your robin shot he seems quite impressed with your kit
By the way I got mine from eBay for about £35 I think
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (24th March 2018)
Old 24th March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
Hi Ron and thanks Ross for filling the void with your comprehensive description
As you can see from the helpfull shots it's a snug fit with the grip.
With The 300 plus the tele attached you can only close and zip it up with the hood retracted however you could use your method of operation while you where walking around and just close up at the end, I like Ross I have also used the square divider at the base for more padding and Ross you may already know that there is the ability to attache side lens pouches for a second lens which is only slightly dorky
Ron I like your robin shot he seems quite impressed with your kit
By the way I got mine from eBay for about £35 I think
Yeah, I do realise the possibility of attaching a lens pouch but have never done that with any of my Lowepro bags to date. Maybe I might get to use the top toploader yet. Unfortunately, I paid $125 (over $140 with postage) 3 years ago for mine & that was at a discount price.

cliff (24th March 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 24th March 2018

Liked 2,733 Times in 1,304 Posts

Quote:
As expected there was no warranty card in the box but I have registered it on My Olympus and it says that it is covered by warranty until 2020. Somehow I suspect that Olympus wouldn't honour a claim if I made one. I have tried it out and it takes a bit of care to hold the camera steady but it seems to work all right.
Ron
I bought a grey import lens, and registered it with Olympus. The registration seemed to go OK, but later when I registered another bit, I noticed the grey import lens was no longer on my schedule.........

But that was nearly a year ago now, and so far so good.

The Mike Inkley talk at the show ended with a rant about grey imports..........

Mark j

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
Old 24th March 2018

Liked 101 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Yeah, I do realise the possibility of attaching a lens pouch but have never done that with any of my Lowepro bags to date. Maybe I might get to use the top toploader yet. Unfortunately, I paid $125 (over $140 with postage) 3 years ago for mine & that was at a discount price.

Ouch...

Can you get ebay imports from China without too much import tax or silly postage charges?
The mother in law (bless her) is a keen ebay seller and somtimes ships from here to Aus, there are some good second-hand examples on eBay even if you only want the collapsible AW75 side pouch, im sure you can access eBay UK ok? have a butchers and check there feedback as there are some fiddlers out there ...
Ross the fiddler (24th March 2018)
Old 24th March 2018

Liked 1,163 Times in 666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
The Mike Inkley talk at the show ended with a rant about grey imports..........
Yes, he gave a very good sports photo talk and then came very close to spoiling it by droning on for ages and ages about that. Anyway, I hung on patiently with a small group of others and he did answer our questions fully eventually!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (24th March 2018), Ross the fiddler (24th March 2018)