Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 28th November 2010

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Lancashire Day

I decided to hop on the bus over to Nelson yesterday to meet up with my new-found friends from Nelson Brass Band as they played before and after the switching on of the Christmas lights.

There were celebrations throughout the day in Lancashire yesterday for "Lancashire Day" - on this day in 1295 the first elected representatives from Lancashire were called to Westminster by King Edward I to attend what later became known as "The Model Parliament".

The Lancashire Day proclamation is read out by town criers throughout the county on 27th November.

This town crier is also the local mayor, and what a thoroughly nice chap he was. Despite the cold, he was there from early in the morning until long after the switch on of the lights.

Whilst the band warmed up in a nice warm room, I stayed outside to soak up some of the atmosphere...

I wasn't the only one armed with a camera!

I wasn't the only one shivering with the effects of the cold either!

Gloves and hats were definitely a necessity as night fell...

These fingers were nearly blue with the cold!

...but still she was able to multi-task!

...one band member even left his pyjamas on!

...and a certain band member confessed to wearing his wife's tights!

As night fell we were treated to some street entertainment...

...and Nelson Brass proved a popular attraction as they played a selection of Christmas songs...

I only meant to stay for the Lancashire songs in the afternoon, but after a quick trip to the pub (I believe this is obligatory?) I decided to stay on for the carols and the switch-on of the lights.

I was thoroughly berated by Tracey for getting the bus over and not asking for a lift...I consider myself well and truly told off now!

I'm pleased to say that I'm getting a lot more confident now, and really enjoying my photography. The band are fabulous subjects, and a real pleasure to be with.

Oly is still not very good in low light, but I've got my new flash now, and if conditions aren't good, I simply shove it up to ISO1600 and hope for the best! Far better to get something than miss the moment altogether!

I had a few total disasters, but on the whole I'm rather pleased with the record of the day.

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
yorky (28th November 2010)
Old 28th November 2010

Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,004 Posts
Liked 1,156 Times in 760 Posts
Re: Lancashire Day

Nice series like the little dog shot.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 28th November 2010

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

What a wonderful set of " people " shots, some real characters captured there.
I love the pyjama wearer and the double cornet player, oh and of course the dog!
The background information and your commentary have made a real documentary of a fascinating day.

Congratulations.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 28th November 2010

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts

Thanks! It was a good day, but I can't remember the last time I was so cold! I believe it was -6 at one point, but they may have been exaggerating!

I've always been very wary of taking photos of people in the street, but I'm getting a bit braver now. It helps when you're at an event where people expect to see cameras. I would have loved to have taken some shots of the children on the free ice skating rink, but didn't dare. They were having a whale of a time!

There was one guy there with a rather expensive Nikon camera who seemed to be struggling a bit with the low light...he kept lifting the camera up to his eye, then shaking his head and pressing lots of buttons...I didn't like to tell him that he still had the lens cap on!

I'd met him earlier at the food stand and we'd had a bit of a chat, as toggers do...he made a comment about how I'd probably struggle with the low light later in the day...yes I did, but not as much as he did! I do have a photo, but it's not good to mock the afflicted!

We did get a bit of late afternoon sunshine, but it didn't last long!

Even the organisers joined in...

On the whole it was a fun day, although it's really shown me the limitations of my camera/lenses when it comes to low light. However, I can't afford to make any changes now, so I'm going to have to learn to live with it.

Janet

Old 8th January 2011

Thanked 1,376 Times in 1,334 Posts
Liked 3,364 Times in 1,566 Posts

I can only endorse the comments made by other posters, Janet.

All I would add is that your E-520 may be better in low light than you give it credit for.

I have an E-520 too and at ISO800 I find it isn't that far behind the E-3.

The answer is not another make of camera but perhaps another lens.

The Zuiko F2.8, 12-60mm is very fast and is on my wish list also.